- Days left

3 Ways to Beat the IRS in 2013 If America Falls Off the Fiscal Cliff

Rolling in the doughTax planning is never simple, and right now, it's more complicated than ever, as the upcoming election has left a large fraction of America's lawmakers unwilling to tackle the fiscal cliff we're hurtling toward, or the automatic tax increases that are part of it.

Although the outcome of the elections will obviously have a big impact on tax policy going forward, for now, a host of tax increases are slated to take effect that will hit higher-income taxpayers hard.

Of course, it's possible that Congress will get its act together and solve all these problems before Jan. 1. But if you're as skeptical as I am about that prospect, it's time to start doing some contingency planning. And there are steps you can take to reduce the impact of those higher taxes.

Let's take a look at three promising strategies for you to prepare -- just in case.

1. Pay tax now to save more later.

Usually, the name of the game with the IRS is to avoid paying taxes for as long as possible. The whole idea behind tax-favored retirement accounts is that they let you defer taxes now -- presumably at higher rates -- in favor of using the money and paying tax on it after you retire, when presumably you'll be earning less money and therefore paying Uncle Sam at a lower tax rate.

But right before a major jump in taxes, it can make sense to pay tax sooner than later. Currently, the highest tax bracket is 35%. Next year, that's slated to revert to 39.6%, with an additional 3.8% surtax on investment income.

There are a number of things you can do to increase your taxable income this year:
  • Work more. If you're self-employed or work on a commission that you have some control over, boosting your earnings this year could save you in the long run.
  • Save your deductions. Putting off charitable deductions from late December to early January won't hurt charities much, but it lets you move income freely. Same for things like tax payments, medical expenses, and other deductible bills.
  • Consider a Roth conversion now. Converting a regular IRA to a Roth IRA gives you tax-free treatment for the life of your Roth account, but you have to pay tax on the amount you convert. Doing it now lets you take advantage of low rates.
  • Sell stocks with gains. Ordinarily, you'd want to defer paying capital gains tax as long as possible. But with a change in maximum rates from 15% to 20% next year -- not including the 3.8% surtax -- it can be a better deal to take your gains and run this year, rather than doing so in 2013.
2. Plan to boost your retirement contributions next year.

Every dollar you contribute to a traditional retirement account, whether it's an IRA or a 401(k), can reduce your taxable income. With taxes going up, you'll get even more bang for your buck than you do this year, especially if doing so next year helps you avoid going over the threshold for surtaxes and higher tax brackets.

That doesn't mean you should skimp on current year contributions, though, if you can possibly help it. Still, other things being equal, you'll be better off boosting your 2013 retirement savings to take maximum advantage of a break from higher taxes.

3. Shelter your income.

Another reason to boost your retirement account balances is that they'll give you more ability to shelter investment income from higher tax rates. In particular, if you can move high-yield dividend stocks and other income-producing investments into retirement accounts, you can cut your future taxes substantially while still enjoying the growth that they'll produce.


With all of these strategies, there's no need to jump the gun and do anything irreversible at this point. After all, depending on what happens in November -- and December, during Congress' lame duck session -- you might not actually need these strategies. But getting them ready now will mean that if it comes time to pull the trigger a couple months down the road, you won't be scurrying to get everything done before a Dec. 31 deadline. That peace of mind is worth at least as much as the potential tax savings from making these smart moves.

Motley Fool contributor Dan Caplinger does whatever he can to keep his taxes low. You can follow him on Twitter @DanCaplinger.

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

How to Buy a Car

How to get the best deal and buy a car with confidence.

View Course »

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

View Course »

TurboTax Articles

What is IRS Form 8824: Like-Kind Exchange

Ordinarily, when you sell something for more than what you paid to get it, you have a capital gain; when you sell it for less than what you paid, you have a capital loss. Both can affect your taxes. But if you immediately buy a similar property to replace the one you sold, the tax code calls that a "like-kind exchange," and it lets you delay some or all of the tax effects. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) uses Form 8824 for like-kind exchanges.

What are ABLE Accounts? Tax Benefits Explained

Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) accounts allow the families of disabled young people to set aside money for their care in a way that earns special tax benefits. ABLE accounts work much like the so-called 529 accounts that families can use to save money for education; in fact, an ABLE account is really a special kind of 529.

What is IRS Form 8829: Expenses for Business Use of Your Home

One of the many benefits of working at home is that you can deduct legitimate expenses from your taxes. The downside is that since home office tax deductions are so easily abused, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tends to scrutinize them more closely than other parts of your tax return. However, if you are able to substantiate your home office deductions, you shouldn't be afraid to claim them. IRS Form 8829 helps you determine what you can and cannot claim.

What is IRS Form 8859: Carryforward of D.C. First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Form 8859 is a tax form that will never be used by the majority of taxpayers. However, if you live in the District of Columbia (D.C.), it could be the key to saving thousands of dollars on your taxes. While many first-time home purchasers in D.C. are entitled to a federal tax credit, Form 8859 calculates the amount of carry-forward credit you can use in future years, not the amount of your initial tax credit.

What is IRS Form 8379: Injured Spouse Allocation

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has the power to seize income tax refunds when a taxpayer owes certain debts, such as unpaid taxes or overdue child support. Sometimes, a married couple's joint tax refund will be seized because of a debt for which only one spouse is responsible. When that happens, the other spouse is said to be "injured" and can file Form 8379 to get at least some of the refund.

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum


Filter by:

Everybody is watching the polls thinking their candidate will win depending on whose poll you are reading. Polls mean nothing. It all depends on who will vote. Polls cannot determine that. Several people who voted for Obama in 2008 will not vote this year. The same happen with several people refused to vote Republican last election and simply did not vote. We will all know Tuesday evening. We cannot continue with the same leadership we have. The facts are clear.

October 31 2012 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I have a better way: Get rid of personal Income Taxes and the I.R.S. Replace the income taxes with sales taxes. Divide the taxes into 3 groups. a.Necessities. b. Semi-luxury. c. Luxury. Tax a. at 3%. b. at 15% and c. at 50% or higher, (that way you'll tax the wealthy)
In 2010 the wealthy 1 percent earned about 1.3 trillion dollars annually, the rest of the people (99%) earned 9.4 trillion dollars. Income tax from the wealthy was about $300,000,000. and the rest of the population about $940,000,000., or total income taxes from individual earners for 2010 was approximately $1,240,000,000.
Total sales during 2010 were about $14,000,000,000. An average sale tax of 8.8% is needed to equal the amount of government’s income tax collected.
My prediction is that with the above system the average collected tax will be close to 15% or $1,500,000,000 dollars, enough to support the annual budget and reduce the deficit in a very short time.

October 20 2012 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply


September 25 2012 at 7:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

lol, well, I'm taking notes. ;)

September 25 2012 at 7:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Yah right. Work more at the jobs we don't have and can't get if not in the fields of investment banking, accounting or nursing, the latter being only because even the one percent need their a$$ets wiped.

September 25 2012 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Yah right. Work more at the jobs we don't have and can't get if not in the fields of investment banking, accounting or nursing, the latter being only because even the one percent need their a$$ets wiped.

September 25 2012 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply




September 24 2012 at 4:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Or just vote republican.

September 24 2012 at 3:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Donate all your $$ to Obama; he\'s going to grab it anyway!

September 24 2012 at 9:23 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply


September 24 2012 at 9:03 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply