Grocery shopping

Food -- likely already your biggest weekly household expense -- is about to cost you even more.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture predicts you' ll be paying about 3% more for your groceries the remainder of the year, and as much as 5% more in 2013, due in part to the nation's worst drought in 50 years.

Increased food prices don't have to take an oversized bite out of your budget: Here are seven ways to cut your supermarket bill.

How to Buy a Car

How to get the best deal and buy a car with confidence.

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

interactivebs

We got some great tips on how to save on meat from www.savemoneytoday.net. We purchase a 1/2 cow and 1/4 hog and with a probable upcoming hike on corn prices that will transfer to meat prices as well.

September 12 2012 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gmydogbud

Our Politicans Need To TAKE - OUR - SOCIAL - SECURITY - MONEY - FROM - THE - GENERAL - FUND - & - RETURN - IT - TO - THE - SOCIAL - SECURITY - FUND - ! President Obama NEEDS - TO - RETURN - THE - THIRTY - SEVEN - TRILLION - HE - TOOK -FROM - OUR - MEDICARE - FUND - TO - HELP - FUND - HIS - OBAMA - CARE - TO - OUR - MEDICARE - FUND - ! POLITICANS - ARE - LIVING - VERY - WELL - WHILE - AMERICAN - SENIOR - CITIZENS - BECAUSE - OF - THE - DECISIONS - POLITICANS - HAVE - MADE - ARE - SUFFERING! MAN - UP - BOYS & - GIRLS - !! AMERICA - HAS - IT'S - EYES - ON - YOU - !!

August 25 2012 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annika

I've stopped buying large quantities of food. I'd think I'd get a good deal on something and stock up, but somehow those items would get pushed to the back of the fridge or pantry, only to be never seen again. Now I just buy 1 or 2 days' worth of food; that way it won't get forgotten and spoil.
I also found that it helps if you set yourself a budget for meals. If you don't, it's easy to overspend. Sure, those steaks look great, but do I really want to spend $20 on those alone if I can look for cheaper cuts of meat and create an entire meal for $10 or less?

August 25 2012 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deeda58

Not ONE GOP was in the room when Obamacare was passed, I meant. Excuse me.

August 25 2012 at 6:52 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Deeda58

This is my first time posting on this site...and looking at the "comments" it appears the guy named "ohmyboehnertwo" thinks that by TALKING A LOT he'll get his point across. The only thing he's accomplishing is causing ppl to RUN away from his tirades! After reading his most RECENT comment (which is the only one I could make my way through!) I wanted to say that this man DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HOW HIS GOV'T WORKS, and it's very apparent in his post. He has no CLUE that Obama had the FIRST TWO YEARS w/which to get his agenda passed, and pretty much did just that. Not one person was in the room when they passed Obamacare...and the dems had carte' glance for two whole years. It wasn't until 2010 that the GOP won back the house. Also, if this gentleman would go to C-SPAN, he can look for himself and see that there are OVER 30 BILLS waiting to be brought to the senate floor, but HARRY REID won't bring them forward. AND 100% OF THE DEMS REFUSED OBAMA'S BUDGET WHEN VOTED ON. Maybe "LONG-WINDED" needs to try another form of education...and stay way from PUBLICLY FUNDED SCHOOLS where all the money goes to the UNION LEADERS and not teachers or school supplies!

August 25 2012 at 6:51 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Deeda58's comment
Annika

Exactly WHAT does your post have to do with the article?

August 25 2012 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul or Margaret

Type your comment hereI I have never seen a coupon for a food item I could use. They are generally for processed food that I can make from scratch that is lower in salt and fats. I use as many fresh and in season fruits abd vegetables as I can. Again lower salt and fats. the use coupons as a way of saving on your food bill is useless. buy a good cook book.

August 25 2012 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paul or Margaret's comment
virginia

coupons for mayo,condiments,cheese,crackers,cookies,bread,cleaning and washing products.also for beauty supplies,lotions,makeup and ladies "personal products. saves me a lot of money.

August 25 2012 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ectullis

Lose weight. The country is obese.

August 24 2012 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Thanks to all for once again making an unrelated article in to a partisan political debate. We appreciate it.

August 24 2012 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Doing more store brands lately. It saves a little here and there. Hate looking through coupons but I suppose that is the way to go. I am eating smaller portions normally too, (which is all all around healtheir I guess.)

August 24 2012 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply