Applications for Unemployment Aid Fall by 6,000

unemployment
By PAUL WISEMAN

WASHINGTON -- The number of Americans applying for unemployment benefits fell by 6,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 361,000, a level consistent with modest gains in hiring.

The Labor Department said Thursday that the less volatile four-week average rose by 2,250 to 368,250 in the week that ended Aug. 4.

Weekly applications bounced around in July, skewed by the difficulty of accounting for temporary summertime layoffs in the auto industry. The seasonal distortions had faded by last week.

When applications consistently fall below 375,000, it typically suggests hiring is strong enough to lower the unemployment rate.

The job market appears to be pulling out of a midyear slump, but still isn't very strong.

The economy added 163,000 jobs in July, the biggest increase since February. From April through June, employers had created a lackluster 73,000 jobs a month, not enough to keep up with a rising population. Despite the improvement in hiring in July, the unemployment rate ticked up to 8.3 percent from 8.2 percent in June.

Most economists say growth must be stronger to generate enough jobs to lower unemployment. The economy grew at an annual rate of 1.5 percent from April through June, down from 2 percent in the first quarter and 4.1 percent in the fourth quarter of 2011.

In a hopeful sign, U.S. employers posted the most job openings in four years in June. The Labor Department said this week that job openings rose to a seasonally adjusted 3.8 million in June from 3.7 million in May. That's the most since July 2008. Layoffs fell. A rise in openings could signal better hiring in the coming months. It typically takes one to three months to fill a job.

Even with the increase, hiring is competitive. There were 12.7 million unemployed people in June, or an average of 3.4 unemployed people for each job.

U.S. companies got a bit more out of their workers in the spring. Their productivity grew at a slim 1.6 percent annualized rate in the April-June quarter, signaling that employers may have to hire more if orders pick up.

How Financial Planners go Grocery Shopping

Learn to shop smart and save.

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

podunkedby44

O.Blabber has not yet created one Net job for Americans, but his OWS flock loves free food stamps for more votes. Free rent too, and medical.

August 12 2012 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
podunkedby44

Evan is a peter puffer,he always has employment offering ******** on the street corner, especially for Obama supporters with drugs.

August 12 2012 at 10:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to podunkedby44's comment
podunkedby44

B-l-o-j-o bs

August 12 2012 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
podunkedby44

wtf

August 12 2012 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mgh406

There will be a load of vacant jobs in DC during November.

August 11 2012 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Setanta

think they're gonna PLAY THE RACE CARD AGAIN ?
or did the shpiel with flucks and their free contraceptives light a fire out in colOradO ?

August 11 2012 at 2:48 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ha6ai

Gee, great accomplishment Obama! LOL.

August 11 2012 at 2:41 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Setanta

and what are the stats for disability and welfare ???

August 11 2012 at 2:37 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
chris1011

Why is Mitt running?
I deferred military service for bicycling in France.
I lived in a 5bedroom house while there, with a chef/ housekeeper and houseboy.
I claimed I lived like poor people then.
I spent the duration of the Vietnam War, proselytizing and converting people to my faith.

At Bain when I became the CEO; I turned the company from venture capital into a corporate raider.
I drove many companies bankrupt after stripping them of their assets and selling them.
I acquired Damon Corps medical labs and while there the company defrauded Medicare to the tune of 100s of millions. When I left the company was bankrupt and 1000 people lost their jobs.
I oversaw the second biggest Medicare fraud in History; just behind my friend Rick Scott’s who is trying to steal Florida for me.
I lay off more than 10’s thousand living, breathing people, solely to line my own pocket.
I enjoy firing people.
Of the companies I didn’t completely bankrupt, I drove 10,000s of people with livable wages into accepting minimum wage and told every single one, if they don’t like it they could leave.
At the same time I gave top management huge pay raises.
I created 10,000s of jobs on foreign shores and people who worked for me there, earned a couple dollars a day, See Global tech. China and Haier Electricals China.
I retired...
I pay 13%; in taxes on unhidden money which until it became illegal in 2011 I hid in tax havens.
I had the third lowest employment rate in any state in America as governor.
While I was governor, I used the Heritage Foundation’s Healthcare plan and created Romneycare’.
It lowered the insurance costs for Massachusetts by 1/3 since introduction.
I was proud when President Obama decided to use the plan, as I thought it would help my chances of becoming President but it was vilified by my party on purely political grounds, so backed away from it.
I cost the state $200000 when I left by replacing all of the states government computers to hide my record.

I think corporations are people but if you look at my history, you’ll find I don’t think people are worth telling the truth.

I have made $1/4billion by destroying thousands of lives.
I don’t care about any of those lives, and as you can see, I have no intentions of being honest with them.
I spent $200.000.000 to beat the weakest and most bizarre field ever in rightwing politics.
Those candidates warned you about me,

August 10 2012 at 10:48 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to chris1011's comment
sksnyder25

Our company has searched everywhere for good qualified drivers because we need to hire 5 immediiately but we can not get a single qualified applicant.. Every trucking company we talk to seems to have the same problem. There are jobs out there but employers just can't seem to be able to find qualified employees. DOT has strict guidelines as far as qualifications are concerned so it's not like we are trying to be picky and the pay is very good with benefits.

August 10 2012 at 4:41 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
democracks0

Evans proves everyday what a dope he is and wears his dunce cap proudly.

August 10 2012 at 2:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply