U.S. Economy Added 163,000 Jobs in July, ADP Reports

Jobs growth
By CHRISTOPHER S. RUGABER

A private survey shows U.S. businesses kept hiring at a modest pace in July, suggesting the job market could be improving after three sluggish months.

Payroll provider ADP said Wednesday that businesses added 163,000 jobs last month. That's slightly below a revised total of 172,000 jobs it reported for June.

The report only covers hiring in the private sector and excludes government job growth. The Labor Department will offer a more complete picture of July hiring on Friday.

The ADP survey offered some hope that hiring is picking up. But it has often deviated sharply from the government report. In June, the Labor Department said employers added just 80,000 jobs, less than half the figure reported by ADP.

The government's report is expected to show employers added 100,000 jobs in July, according to survey of economists by FactSet. The unemployment rate is expected to stay at 8.2 percent.

The hiring picture for July is a bit cloudier than usual. Weekly applications for unemployment benefits, generally considered a reliable gauge, have been distorted by seasonal adjustment issues. The government has had trouble accounting for temporary summer shutdowns in the auto industry, which are used to retool plants for new models.

The adjustments have been difficult this year because some automakers skipped the shutdowns to keep up with stronger sales, resulting in fewer temporary layoffs.

As a result, weekly applications for unemployment aid have been volatile. The Labor Department said last week that they fell 35,000 to 353,000. But that followed an increase of a similar size the previous week.

The economy isn't growing fast enough to spur much job growth. It expanded at a paltry 1.5 percent annual rate in the April-June quarter, down from a 2 percent pace in the first quarter.

Introduction to Retirement Funds

Target date funds help you maintain a long term portfolio.

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

tmoschetti

And the LIES from the Obama Information Ministry continue.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said that 163,000 new jobs were created. "We used BLS numbers ourselves to show you how this isn't true. We talked about "seasonal adjustment." But a random act of journalism -- a stunning random act of journalism -- in the Washington Post yesterday in the Sunday paper."

They actually wrote , "Wait, the US Economy Actually Lost 1.2 Million Jobs in July. The US economy lost 1.2 million jobs between June and July. But that’s not how it got reported. When the Bureau of Labor [Technicalities] released its jobs figures for July, it said the economy gained 163,000 jobs. So what gives?" Well, they're not "hiding anything," as we pointed out last week. "The discrepancy just has to do with what's known as 'seasonal adjustments."

Believe the Information Ministry at your own peril. They are Obama!

August 06 2012 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennie

Boy when oil was going down it took for ever for gas to go down but as soon as oil started to go up boy gas went up faster then oil was going up. BOY COT as they say. We should have been paying lot less then $3. something a gal. but who are we just the ones that pay all the bills. Someone in that white house do something.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 05 2012 at 3:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris1011

Dearest Diary;
For Pete’s sake it was never meant to be like this.
I was meant to win on Romneycare but my own party sabotaged me.
I have the hair, the Grecian formula look with the deliberate distinguished white temples. The picture postcard family that looks anachronistically odd and associates with shady business people; but could pass as the virtuous looking version of the Osmond’s.
I’m a job creator damn it, a successful tycoon so why aren’t you all taking that on face value and bowing and scraping as I’m use to?
Why must you pry and pry until I’m too embarrassed to run on my planned lies and woefully flat singing.
It’s un-American of you all to expose my very shallow veneer of lies that I lovingly crafted over the decades for my vanity run for president damn it.
I even fired the best, cheap team of illegal-aliens I ever had working on my garden in one of my many blue state located homes, I hope they’re available next year? (Seriously, you wouldn’t expect me to live in a red state would you, they’re so backward and full of uncouth people).
Life’s so unfair and if I was born with emotions I’d be devastated at how short a time my cleverly crafted illusion took to crumble and vanish.
Who’d have thought journalists paid by my major backers would collude in telling the truth about me. I feel betrayed now on all sides.
I can’t even run on my term as governor because that’s full of landmines buried barely beneath the surface and if I place the toe of one of my Gucci loafers in that direction. Boom! Just like Wile. E. Coyote and Obama going meep! meep! As he speeds off!
It was never meant to be like this. I have the rugged good looks of a President of America in a made for TV Canadian movie.
I’ve turned off the entire African American, Latino and Center of America and most women especially when I followed it up by calling them freeloaders after free stuff on several occasions.
How come every insult and duplicity I make gets reported on? It’s like someone invented a machine that can record sound and even motion pictures.
Anyway I’m going to stay in denial and keep saying the irrefutable truth is a lie. Because I’m Mitt Romney, CEO, born into privilege and no upstart with integrity is going to besmirch my name. Especially with the truth!
Me 2012
Because it’s my turn. Type your comment here

August 03 2012 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andrepin

WHAT JOBS?WHERE?I WONDER FOR HOW LONG THIS PROPAGANDA WILL GO ON?
WHY AMERICA IS OBSESSED WITH ITS OWN DECLINE?.

August 03 2012 at 10:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Paul Revere Deux

If you believe this--i have an apartment on the dark side of the moon for rent..

August 03 2012 at 1:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Paul Revere Deux

Where is the proof? Let a 3rd party verify these lies..

August 03 2012 at 1:52 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Paul Revere Deux

PROPOGANDA du jour

August 03 2012 at 1:51 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Paul Revere Deux

Correct:Beer, chips & rubber sales are exploding!

August 03 2012 at 1:51 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
tsimpson2333

We need more than 300,000 per month job creation in order to end this recession, it is clear that the present administration is not doing its job. Does anyone realize that once Obama care kicks in that health care costs will sky rocket?? Most people don't even realize that Obama care is "not free," they must purchase it Boy, when the costs of Obama care come to roost will they become angry. Health care costs will triple in 10 years..

August 02 2012 at 7:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply