How to Find a Work-From-Home Job That Pays (Or Make Your Current Job One)

work from homeCan I tell you a secret? I'm writing this article from the comfort of my own living room, with my feet propped up on an ottoman and pillows resting at my sides. I am -- for the record -- wearing actual clothes, not pajamas. But I'm not here because I'm working through a sick day. It's because ever since I had my first child nearly 18 years ago, I've been able to work from home at least some of the time.

I've always felt fortunate to be able to do this, as not every job can be done outside of the office and not every boss is quite as accommodating as mine were. However, recent research suggests that telecommuting's popularity is surging: According to statistics from Global Workplace Analytics, there are currently 2.9 million telecommuters in the U.S -- a 66% increase over just seven years.

The benefits to working from home are many. Aside from having the flexibility to pick your kids up from school or check on your elderly parents (if they live nearby), there is a tremendous savings factor. Kate Lister, president of Global Workplace Analytics, developed this personal savings calculator, told me that cutting back on a 30-mile round-trip commute and working from home just one day a week could save someone $794 per year. Cutting back on that commute five days a week could save a person over $5,000 per year. (Give it a whirl for yourself to see how much money you could save.)

So why aren't more people working from home? For those with jobs, it's a matter of making a good case to your boss (more on that in a bit). But for those who are out of work and looking for a telecommuting job, it comes down to one word: scams. "There are an average of 70 [work at home] scams to one real job," says Sara Sutton Fell, CEO of FlexJobs.com. "I was really shocked at how many scams there are."

The good news is there are ways to cut through all the cons and find something legitimate. Here's what you should do:

• Double-check every link and email address. A good work-from-home scam will try to mimic the web address of a legitimate company, so put your detective skills to work before you click on anything. "You should be seeing the primary domain name," says Fell. "Is it a plain company name, or does it have extended characters? When in doubt, type the company name into Google to see what the real website looks like."

• Be wary of any email addresses you see in a suspicious job posting, too.
"If the company name is hidden, or you're asked to send your resume to a Hotmail or Gmail address, why are they not sending you to a dot-company address?" asks Fell.

• Use a reputable resource.
Particularly good websites include Undress4Success.com, WorkOptions.com and FlexJobs.com. FlexJobs.com actually researches and screens job postings, so it's your best bet for finding a legitimate opportunity. They do charge a small monthly fee, but you can find jobs in a wide range of specialties and types. For example, on the site now are posts for an events coordinator for the Parkinson Foundation of the National Capital Area (a full time telecommuting job), a technical support advisor (a part-time telecommuting job) and freelance marketing director position for an e-commerce company.

Finally, Lister told me that 45% of the U.S workforce holds jobs that are compatible with telecommuting at least part time. If you have an office job you love, but would love to do it from home once or twice a week, the key is to craft your pitch so your boss and company can see the benefit they'll derive from the arrangement. Inventory the hours you spend in the office; detail how you use your time. If colleagues distract you two hours a day, and you commute two hours a day, that's four hours a day that could be otherwise spent working. Make your pitch as detailed as possible: Include the schedule you would keep, a plan for how you'll handle interruptions, and your strategy for protecting important data outside the office. The more prepared you are, the more likely it is that your home office will finally start getting some use.

-- With Maggie McGrath

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

Aikee Tan

work at home at your own pace by typing captchas. Minimum of $3 for payout thru paypal, Perfect money, payza or western union. Here's the link: http://www.megatypers.com/ and use invitation code: 8EIV

Job is so simple, just type the captchas and rates would vary per hour.

March 23 2014 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jaiycha

I've been making steady income doing this. Doesnt hurt to give it a try. It's legit http://5784205.dailydollardash.com

February 10 2014 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Crosby

I did not think this would work but someone here put out there refer link to inbox dollar last week and I signed up. I blew it off and thought nothing else about it. Checked it this morning and I have 30.00 from refferels. I just posted in a few blog spots I read anyway and over a week it just happned. Thanks to who ever you are on here that posted your link I really needed that 30 bucks.

Give it a try and re-post your ref link it's free and you have everthing to gain.

November 15 2013 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Crosby

Holidays are here and what better way to give a gift that most every woman loves. Please feel free to visit https://www.jewelryincandles.com/store/goodsmellincandles and if you are interested in a becoming a member feel free, no start up cost, no credit card required. A perfect way to start your own bussiness doing somthing you love and with somthing that you use.

November 04 2013 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Crosby

Get paid 2 to 5 dollars to read news articles online in your spare time. Just click on the link:
http://circumnews.com/p1422 it's as simple as that earn more when you refer a friend. No start up ,No credit card ,No scams. Made 312.50 dollars in just 2 1/2 days. Just processed first 300.00 payout to paypal (payment pending) it is legit...Enjoy!!! It just keeps getting better

November 02 2013 at 7:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaye Ambili

We are a fully registered loan agency, we give out loans to all in need of help
across the globe. Our loan takes a maximum of 1 working days to get to approved
to customers across the globe. We offer lowest interest rate 2% and its fixed
with best match loan including loans for applicants with impaired or bad
credit, Pay off existing debts, reduce your monthly outgoings by consolidating
any existing personal loans and credit card debts. Our offer loan amount ranging
from $900,000.00 to a maximum of $800,Million.
Please fill in the short form below
Full Name:
Amount Needed:
Loan Duration:
Purpose of Loan:
Country of Residence:
Mobile No:
In acknowledgment to these details,We will send you a well calculated
Terms and Conditions which will include the agreement.
Regards,
Mr. mark moel
Email:markmoelloanhouse@live.com

August 03 2013 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ron_miller9

I recently found this great work from home opportunity that is risk free and simple to understand. Check this out. http://www.freedom.ws/rondalton03 . I have tried so many work from home schemes that cost me way too much money. I finally found this one that is risk free and will cost you nothing to try. Good luck.

July 30 2013 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Soto

The Hangout Network | Work Online Academy
Learn how build your business online through this free hangout with lots of information and a chance to win a free gift for your online business. Join us Tuesdays at 8pm CST / 9pm EST. http://www.TheHangoutNetwork.com/

July 23 2013 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark Soto

Work Online Academy | Working Online Resources
I really admire people who are out there working online, especially busy parents with a full schedule. Sometimes I go to different sources for help, whether it be for support, or leads generation, or to find out about new systems. I'd like to share my findings with those of you who are serious about working online. It can certainly work for anyone, it just takes knowing where to look and finding the right people who are already succeeding. The best to you! http://workonlineacademy.com/go/JennWF/

July 15 2013 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill Massis

Articles writing are the jobs or part time jobs that you can do online without spending your own money unlike other online business that you spend thousands of dollars to start, to advertiser and to build. If you are looking for jobs online articles writing is the job you need because you can start without money. So with this article I am going to teach you how to make money from these part time jobs. http://www.marketingvariety.com/

June 29 2013 at 5:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply