The Best (and Worst) Graduation Advice You Never Heard

Travis Stork"Benjamin...I want to say one word to you. Just one word...Are you listening?"
"Yes, I am."
"Plastics."
"Exactly how do you mean?"

Along with the ties and fountain pens, recent graduates get a lot of advice. And, while most of it is better than the earnestly delivered career suggestion in The Graduate, it can often be contradictory, confusing, and even downright disastrous. With that in mind, we asked some leaders in business, entertainment, and publishing to share the best and worst advice that they ever received. And, while we were at it, we also asked them for the most useful suggestions that they could give the next generation.

What they said was surprising -- and, in many cases, gave us a good idea of how they got to where they are.

Bruce Watson is a senior features writer for DailyFinance. You can reach him by e-mail at bruce.watson@teamaol.com, or follow him on Twitter at @bruce1971.

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

mccalteaux

The worst advice almost everyone receives is "Follow your biss.". That is if your ever want to be employed. Bliss is what hobbies are for.

May 29 2012 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thefacts22

If you have a worthless liberal arts degree,go back to school

May 29 2012 at 5:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Kent

I read somewhere about not dwelling on the past or living in the past. That's true, but don't be afraid to look at or examine the past. There are plenty of lessons there. If you are given an assignment, look at how similar assignmens were done. What worked well? What failed miserably?

May 29 2012 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
houseiowapark

One of the best things I was told was to guard my name. Always have a good name by living right, staying out of trouble and live morally. I think keeping your word is also important.

May 29 2012 at 12:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to houseiowapark's comment
thefacts22

If everybody was like you,and i am oba would have never been elected

May 29 2012 at 5:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
zhupo890314@gmail.com

Hola hola ,Do you seek a sin~gle&se~xy black woman or handsome&successful black man? Do you want to quiet your single life? Don’t miss blackgirlsnow~c/0/m where there is no distance among people if you do!!!~So so just go ahead now and look for your soulmate through life~It’s the best place for you!

May 29 2012 at 11:03 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to zhupo890314@gmail.com's comment
Setanta

IF THESE MORONS can continue to SPAM THESE UNCENSORED BOARDS freely--
then I CAN SLAP THIS UP HERE since huffiepoop didn't feeeeeeeeeeel this should have the coments-
from the nyslimes no less,huffiepoops LEFT arm-

now put this with THIS--brennan appointed as obummers assasination czar

which the lame stream mediyuuh BURIED

on top of tjhe drones,gps marked houses etc....dod bs,defense authorization act--and the fema stuff IS NOT BS or conspiracy fodder.....

put it all together and what do YOU get ?

don't worry about any ADVICE
WAKE UP AMERICANS.

THESE LINKS ARE FACTUAL not conspiracy-

May 29 2012 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Setanta's comment
Setanta

do some research on this--and educate everyone.

May 29 2012 at 1:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
bfg305

Money and Happiness on a bar graph come together only briefly- the pooint where you have enough money to satisfy your needs. Things rarely make you happy and when you get to the point that you enjoy your life only by the envy you can create in your friends...you have missed the point of life entirely. I like the one comment about freedom...if you can earn a lot - you buy yourself the opportunity to enjoy whatever you like in life. Of all the billionaires out there I think I envy only Richard Branson as he seems to do what ever he wants and enjoy his life to the fullest. For a new grad I would say find your passion and then find a way to make money working at it.

May 28 2012 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to bfg305's comment
Kent

And you don't think that Warren Buffett doesn't get to do want he wants? I think Warren just has simpler goals. Whereas Sir Richard wants to be able to be shot into space and land in Singapore for dinner at a fancy restaurant, Warren would rather entertain friends playing the ukelele and eat some Dilly Bars from DQ or peanut brittle from Mrs. See's Candy.

May 29 2012 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thefacts22

bfg Money is not everything,but it helps,i do not care of what someone elses do.I have done it my way

May 29 2012 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kolblh

Don't trust anyone but yourself, your best friend will stab you in the back to get ahead.

May 28 2012 at 6:46 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
thefacts22

The whole article sucks,and i do not care who that guy is!

May 28 2012 at 3:56 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
thefacts22

USA Colleges are "producing"useless degrees

May 28 2012 at 3:53 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to thefacts22's comment
papadon.don

Indeed, they are.... too many kids opt for the easy way thru college... they take "basketing-weaving" courses 'cause they are easy... more time for sex, drugs and booze... a poor cost-to-benefit choice for the beleagured taxpayer .

May 29 2012 at 12:05 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
AgDoc

There is some good advice here, but the best is Mike Rowe's.

That being said, I don't watch the show with Dr. Dimples, I mean Dr. Stork, since as a physician I find just about every such show much more about the "celebrity" and short--very short--on good medical advice, but I wouldn't have expected the level of vitriol directed his way. I guess I'm not alone in my opinion about such shows.

May 28 2012 at 12:09 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply