The most dizzyingly rich women in the world have something in common: It's almost always their husbands or fathers who actually earned the dizzying riches. But while Australian mining magnate Gina Rinehart inherited $75 million when her father died in 1992, she has spent the last two decades multiplying that sum -- 386 times. She's now worth $29 billion, according to BRW magazine's latest rich list, which makes her the wealthiest woman in the world.

Of the humans roaming this planet with at least $1 billion in their bank accounts, just 8.5% are female, according to Forbes.

There's Christy Walton, the Walmart heiress; Jacqueline Mars, the candy empire heiress; Anne Cox Chambers, the Cox media empire heiress; Dorothea Steinbruch, the Brazilian steel heiress; Liliane Bettencourt, the L'Oreal heiress; Iris Fontbona, the widow of a mining magnate, Birgit Rausing, the widow of a packaging magnate; and Rosalia Mera, the ex-wife of the founder of clothing chain Zara.

Gina Rinehart Rinehart may have inherited some handsome seed money, but she now earns her own $75 million every day and a half. And she's done it by riding the soaring demand for Australia's resources, reports ABC News.

"If the demand for natural resources remains strong, additional multi-billion mines are almost inevitable," writes BRW. "There is a real possibility that Rinehart will become not just the richest woman in the world, but the richest person in the world."

To do that, Rinehart would have to more than double her fortune. Mexican telecommunications giant Carlos Slim Helu now holds the top spot, with $69 billion.

Over the last decade, more women have been busting through the billionaire glass ceiling at a fair rate. In that period, the number of female billionaires has ballooned from 32 to 104, reports Forbes.

Of course it's hard to make millions every day and still be the perfect mom. Three of Rinehart's four children are currently suing her in order to knock her off her late father's multibillion-dollar family trust. Rinehart's own bitter legal fight with her stepmother, over the circumstances of her father's death, lasted 14 years. But she seems to have ended on good terms with her dad. In 1999, she managed to get a mountain range named after him.

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

CUTTING EDGE

Gina,
If you are reading this, I couldn't be more proud of you and your Dad would say the same thing!!! You don't have to take crap from anyone, especially the thirty year olds today! NO RESPECT OR ANY KIND OF WORK ETHIC!!!!!
Folks have been jealous of me my entire life and when my Husband died we didn't have kids. I can't say knowing what I know now that I regret that. Thirty year olds today have NO RESPECT!!

My family has nothing to do with my success but would take a hand out. Money Grubbers!

Widowship ONLY gave me burial money, I started completey over at 32. Why do people NOT GET that the cruel changes that life brings can strengthen one to succeed? Why can't people be happy for GINA? GO GIRL GO!
P.S. My City is known for having the most drinking establishments in the State of Wisconsin and I still side with Gina! Booze is readily available! I am not sure how things work in Austraila but in the USA it has become too easy for todays youth to get away with being responsible. EXCUSE FOR EVERYTHING!!! Get off your bum and figure it out instead of waiting for your parents to pay for your life!
Superior, WI USA

August 30 2012 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KAREN

She might be the richest woman in the world, but what is so VERY sad is that she is SO overweight and SO heavy that she will not be around long enough to enjoy it, unless she gets her health in order. As they say, 'you have nothing if you don't have your health'. Pay for a dietician/fitness trainer!

June 01 2012 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zinna5

trying to figure out what the big deal is with this woman and her weight and all of the unrebutted negative comments on it and then it hit me; fat people are supposed to be jolly, friendly, generous, and kindhearted, while this woman is nothing but a fat, greedy, slob as evidenced by her going after her children's share of the trust fund, a fund the kids rightfully inherited on their own in the same way that she did; while pretending she's being spiteful for altruistic reasons. she definitely is working on her next 14 minutes but Andy Warhol must be rolling in his grave that she even had a first 14!

May 29 2012 at 10:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Wendler

The funny thing about this article is that AOL has posted this article for 3 whole weeks and in reality, not one person could really care less about this silver spoon fed rich priss. Lets move on to the next subject because knowing who this person is really doesn't benefit any of us now does it?

May 29 2012 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Write faster

I'm looking forward to the time when women will become millionaires/billionaires on their own efforts, not by marrying and becoming widows. char........

May 28 2012 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sjperry2000

What does color or sex have anything to do with anything. And what;s wrong with being an open minded
liberal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

May 28 2012 at 4:18 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
sjperry2000

next year my name will be on the billion list how will that effect you? oh well......sjp

May 28 2012 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alfredschrader

Wait a minute. Carlos "Slim" Helu is the richest man on earth ? Not hardly. His wealth is represented by shares of stock which are printed on paper certificates, or his wealth is on paper. If you go by what's on paper, then I'm the richest man on earth. How ? Besides the graviton matrix which is worth many. many billions, I also own the photon exchange technology which is more valuable than fusion. PEt is worth more than 100 billion dollars. How ? Fusion is based on Einstein's E = mc2 equation. As an equation, E = mc2 is also E/m = c2 and E/c2 = m, two more equations.
Using these two I have found more of the answers. I own this, not Carlos Slim.....Alfred-

May 28 2012 at 3:00 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Fed Up

It's a good thing she has money.

May 28 2012 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Davispandora

why cant I get lucky and get rich over night. Well maybe some day I will get it.

May 27 2012 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Davispandora's comment
etpnolan@gmail.com

hang in there davis, that's normally how people get rich, i'm sure your turn is just around the corner.

May 27 2012 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply