Mother's day giftsIt's nearly time to celebrate the woman who birthed you, endured countless sleepless nights when you were a wee little person on account of those 3 a.m. feedings, and, then somehow, later managed to tolerate your assorted teenage shenanigans.

And this Mother's Day, it appears that U.S. consumers will be showing their appreciation even more than last year -- at least spending-wise: Consumers plan to spend an average $152.52 on Mom, up 8% from 2011, according to a BIGInsight consumer spending survey by The National Retail Federation.

If you're still scratching your head over what to buy Mom, here's a rundown of some of the hot sellers so far this Mother's Day at seven big national chains.

Mothers Day 2012

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

gmydogbud

With the so called "New Normal" & a so called
'Jobless Recovery", I have asked my family not to spend money for a gift. What I would like is for them to pray for me; not that I am ill however prayer along with their love is the only thing I would like. They have famlies to care for and with the way our country is being managed or mismanaged by the so called highly educated, ivy league types, I rather they save their money.

May 12 2012 at 8:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
sdowns1470

Vickie, I forgot one more thing, believe it or not, people really do spend a lot of money for Mother's Day gifts Men do spend more on Mother's Day gifts than women and I am not joking either. Some guys spend at least the amount stated in the article if not more than that.

May 09 2012 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sdowns1470

Vickie, your sons are telling you they love you even in gifts. They will spend whatever they think is necessary. They only get one mom their whole lives, so they want to do something special for you, even if it is going out to eat at a restuarant somewhere of your choice. They want you to know that you are their mother and how much they love you, that's all. It doesn't matter how much they spent between them, what matters is that they love you.

May 09 2012 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

My favorite color is blue (not pink) and my favorite team is Braves (not Patriots) and a hug is worth more than all the gold in the world. Love ya babe.

May 09 2012 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lifehub

All paid ads, nothing more. Who can afford anything store-bought in this lagoonish economy?

May 09 2012 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

There is nothing better than being married to your best friend for 35+ years, And knowing that he will always be there for you. Mrs. Scott

May 09 2012 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vickie

Bologna! These stats are way to high and are unreasonable! I would be mad it my sons spent that much- what a marketing gimmick!

May 09 2012 at 7:11 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply