Cake popsRetailers rely on a host of tactics to get you to purchase stuff you don't want, don't need and never intended to buy.

And their ploys often work: 9 out of 10 shoppers make impulse purchases, buying items that weren't on their shopping lists, according to a recent survey by The Checkout, an ongoing shopper behavior study conducted by retail branding firm The Integer Group.

Retail displaysImpulse buys are a bona fide profit center for retailers, and we're not just talking about the tchotchkes and sweets, from plastic bangles to jelly beans, often planted near the cash registers along the checkout line.

DailyFinance spoke to retail experts, including a few former senior merchants from some of the biggest chains, for an insider take on ways stores induce you to buy -- often so subtly that you don't even know it. See the gallery below.

How Financial Planners go Grocery Shopping

Learn to shop smart and save.

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

donut999

Was it P T Barnum who said "there is one born every minute?" Lack of discipline is a direct result of a lack of thinking. For most, anyway. Just ask yourself the question "do I need this?". 95% of the time you will walk away from the "bargain".

May 01 2012 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mesqsandra

I feel soooo USED!

April 30 2012 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrbill7820

Stores do not MAKE you do anything. You are responsible for yoour own decisions. Do I need it? Is it really a good price? If I see something a use, brand of soap, socks, etc on sale, I'll stock up . I appreciate nice displays , but they do not make me buy . I know where the clearance tables are in my favorite stores, and check those out, but again with a discerning eye .Also, Of course stores mark up prices...how do you think they exist, people??

April 30 2012 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pslcitizen

It 'gets you' to buy on impulse...lol. Must of left their self-control at home...

April 30 2012 at 5:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
walkadee

Tasty snacks at POS along with cool refreshing drinks. That fresh baked bread by the register is their for a reason. You didn't need it, but it smells so good.

*Note: These were my Ideas back in the early 80's long before they were finally implemented by management.

April 30 2012 at 5:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
N68Firebird

Of course stores will want to make nice displays to lure consumers, because they must sell their products; they won't have them helter-skelter all over the place. The best plan for consumers is to have a list, and just stick to your list - plus know what you have available in your bank account, or in your wallet.

April 30 2012 at 6:23 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lifehub

The key to not getting scammed or ripped-off by these retailers is to educate yourself. This article covers just a minute area of how retailers push consumers into buying, but is informative nonetheless. Use this info when you're out shopping, keep it in the forefront and see how much money you have left at the end of the shopping day. Better in your pocket than in theirs.

April 30 2012 at 5:01 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
spcy119

I know when to buy, and only buy what I need. Instead of "Mall Walking" I go to stores, and often don't buy a darn thing. I browse. I only browse at things I need or will need soon.
I like combining sale prices with coupons. I'm into specific clothing and accessory labels, and examine everything for quality. Like zippers on jackets. Most of them aren't any good, even in Columbia, London Fog, and Liz. I like store mistakes. Bought a whole bunch of trouser socks (knee socks) that the store forgot to mark up after a seasonal clearance sale. I also had store coupons, and got some $.a pair kneesocks for $2.00 each. I found 10 pair in the style I like. There's not much I buy at Kohl's. Jeans and slacks are ok, but most of their clothes are saggy and look like the Chinese skinned a dragon and tried to make a kite. Watch for sweater sales at Younkers and JCP. I bet I haven't spent $40 in all my life at Shopko. Sheets and towels I ONLY buy at JCP. Go for the sale and coupons, but I don't really understand their "best price' pricing when they change the price in the middle of the month. They lie. I like to shop in Jan & Feb, and again the end of June or beginning of July.

April 30 2012 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to spcy119's comment
lifehub

'Coupons' are paper frauds and trickeries. The so-called discount is in the price of other items. You're not saving anything, though they'll push you with that limited use, expiration date, 'act now' thing.

April 30 2012 at 5:03 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
eveofmoonlight

I ask myself this question three times - "Do i REALLY need this product/service?" and then I follow that up with "Do I have time to comparison shop and get this same thing later at a possibly smaller price?" It's amazing when you take that extra 30 minutes to really think things over....if a sales clerk is trying to rush me I let him/her help somebody else or tell them I need time to think....I refuse to be pressured towards a buy and I usually hate that tactic...or my favorite the extended warranty/insurance stuff that has started to pop up with electronics....i research the company and usually just use the regular warranty.

April 29 2012 at 10:46 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I don't buy what I don't need, unless maybe it's a food splurge. Other than that, no thanks.

April 29 2012 at 10:15 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply