Financial Nightmares: Friday the 13th's Worst Economic Disasters

Friday the 13thForget black cats, broken mirrors and unstoppable psychopaths in hockey masks -- on Friday the 13th, the biggest terrors sometimes hit our wallets. In fact, long before Jason started terrorizing Camp Crystal Lake, the dreaded date inspired a frightening fiscal tale.

In Thomas Lawson's novel Friday the Thirteenth, the villain eschews co-eds in favor of bigger game: He engineers a stock market crash. The book, which spawned a movie, highlighted the deep-seated economic worries that plagued the nation when it was published, 23 years before the Great Stock Market Crash of 1929 made them a reality.

While that most-infamous Wall Street collapse didn't happen on a Friday the 13th, a fair number of financial disasters did. Here are a few of the biggest.

Bruce Watson is a senior features writer for DailyFinance. You can reach him by e-mail at bruce.watson@teamaol.com, or follow him on Twitter at @bruce1971.

Small Cap Investing

Learn now to invest in small companies the right way.

Investment Strategies

What's your investing game plan?

Diala Bank

This is really nice and informative...! if anybody want to know more about banks and banks services than they should visit:http://www.dialabank.com/life-insurance.cfm hope it will help you more..!
Thanks

April 19 2012 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jwyola

You forgot a Full Face Picture of Barack Obama. No words needed

April 15 2012 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

On this past Friday, the 13th, my health insurance company (and I'm paying them $750 a month for a policy because I have pre-existing conditions and can't find another insurance company that will even give me the time of day), decided they would no longer cover my generic prescriptions at $10.00 a month but instead at $108.78 a month. There reasoning is this: because they can. So, I pay $108.78 and they pay - are you sitting down - 20 cents. I am not making this up. I'd name the insurance company, but they'd probably double up to $216.00 a month.

Soon, unfortunately, I'll have no choice but to join the 50 million + Americans who have no insurance. Yes, I know you conservatives/republicans are out there throwing rocks at me, saying it's my fault. But go ahead, just wait till you turn fifty something and are laid off from your job. You'll see.

April 15 2012 at 2:34 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

the worst economic and therefore the worst disaster of all time is beginning as we speak---it is the foreclosing on of americas families --out of their homes......20 million families are loosing their homes --fannie mae is foreclosing on them....there are only 65 million homes in america.......bank of america is foreclosing on 16 million of them and their ceo says it will take till the year 2019 to clear them----it will not..........this will be the railroad spike driven into the heart of america --that will drive the greatest depression of all time---we cannot allow this to happen...the congressional black caucus invested in fannie mae--obama is a member of the congressional black caucus ---as such --he will not provide any result other than foreclose to get back the money for the caucus.............vote him out--or america will have the greatest of all depressions yet experienced....its up to us.

April 15 2012 at 1:39 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
keithrico47

The biggest financial disaster for hard working americans are gas prices and healthcare costs.Every day is friday the 13th for the working middle class.

April 14 2012 at 6:39 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
aisha200bc

Sometimes i just wonder if there is anyone who would sit down and start looking into history that how many fortunate incidents, including financial one's too occurred on Friday the 13th---I am sure there might be some real good one's too.. But since we are so superstitious about Friday the 13th that nothing good can happen we only keep a track of the bad incidents---Human nature what to do ----

April 14 2012 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

I'm the 14th comment looks like Ouch...........~

April 13 2012 at 10:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Mark Schwendau

It is really funny how this news portal had "STOCKS SURGE 200" yesterday to try to paint Obummer in a good light. What it should have said was "STOCKS REBOUNDED 200"... and now it should say... "STOCKS BACK DOWN IN THE CRAPPER AGAIN BECAUSE OF OBUMMER".

April 13 2012 at 8:57 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Geoff

Interesting how these stories always manage to instantly go to government and pres. The article mentioned stok crashes of the past - i.e. pre current govt. Re todays decline - well - in the past month(s) the Down Jones been in yo-yo - it gets to $13k then goes back to $12.k+ - and so on. And as I read it, most of this 'yo yo' has to so with world economic events- over which Obama (or any other US president has marginal control!) Yeah - I'd be the first to dis this govt - but - then I'd have to dis gov'ts in Greeece, Spain, UK, and other places. Let's keep this article in perspective!!!

April 13 2012 at 7:02 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Geoff's comment
Setanta

socialism IS A FAILURE globally and o'bummer and his entourage of prOgressive diM dipstiX have FORCED IT upon US so WE CAN go down just LIKE THEM.

definitely keep it in perspective.

you don't think the energy policies of the diMs have an effect on the economy ?
the bs diM managed housing and loans didn't destroy the economy ?
bailouts and take overs ???
keep it ALL in perspective and remember WHERE IT CAME FROM.

marginal control ? since when ?

April 14 2012 at 1:11 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
plewis213

I guess the world has gone to hell in a handbag in the last 24 hours...yesterday all was wonderful...you know it's not hard for me to figure out who peddles the bad news...guess who makes money every time a stock sells

April 13 2012 at 5:11 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply