- Days left

2012 Tax Rule Changes: What You Need to Know

Tax changesLike it or not, the rules for filing your taxes change every year. Even experts have to relearn the ropes annually, with law changes, new forms, and other hurdles posing a constant challenge.

With just over a month to go before the filing deadline, here's a gallery of some of the more important changes hitting taxpayers this year. For a more complete list, look at the IRS' summary of tax law changes.

Fool.com contributor Dan Caplinger dealt with plenty of changes on his taxes this year. You can follow him on Twitter here.

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

Understanding Credit Scores

Credit scores matter -- learn how to improve your score.

TurboTax Articles

5 Tax Tips for Single Moms

If you're a single mom filing your taxes, make use of tax credits and deductions that can help reduce your taxable income and reduce the amount of tax you pay. A number of strategies, credits and deductions can be used to reduce taxable income, and in some cases, allow tax refunds even if you didn't pay in any taxes. When you use TurboTax, we'll ask simple questions and handle these calculations for you.

Essential Tax Forms for the Affordable Care Act

The Affordable Care Act (ACA), also referred to as Obamacare, affects how millions of Americans will prepare their taxes in the new year. The law now includes penalties for all who haven?t obtained health insurance -- and those penalties are expected to be paid at tax time. The ACA also provides tax credits to help people pay for insurance, and you can claim those credits when you file your taxes. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has introduced a number of tax forms to accommodate the ACA.

What is Form 1095-A: Health Insurance Marketplace Statement

If you bought health insurance through one of the Health Care Exchanges, also known as Marketplaces, you will receive a Form 1095-A which provides information about your insurance policy, your premiums (the cost you pay for insurance) and the people in your household covered by the policy.

Keeping Yourself Safe From Tax Scams Today

During tax time, there are numerous types of tax scams. These illegal schemes can result in the taxpayer being responsible for extra interest, penalties and possible criminal prosecution. Tax schemes and scams attempt to gain access to your financial information by email, telephone, fax or mail. They also may attempt to falsely collect tax you owe to the Internal Revenue Service. Using TurboTax ensures your financial information remains safe.

Health Care and Your Taxes: What's the Connection?

Your cost for Marketplace health insurance is based on the income you file on your tax return. Your reported income also determines your eligibility for the tax credits and penalties associated with Marketplace health coverage. Everyone has to have health insurance and by filing your taxes, you let the government know if you carry health insurance. The tax system acts as a way for the government to levy a penalty on those who don?t have it and to provide assistance, by means of a tax credit, to those who do.

ibjunebug2

need to know all the changes before I begin to file my taxes ( more categories?)

April 09 2012 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carroll

BSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSBS

April 04 2012 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
larry

Next year we won't have to worry about filing taxes. Just give Obama your entire years earnings.

April 04 2012 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Solheim

That is all determined on the state level. In MN, we don't have taxes on food (except for pop and a few things that aren't necessary), and no taxes on clothing. Public schools? How are they going to exist without taxes?

April 04 2012 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kng20

I along with many others are sick of the never ending changes and addition to the anual Fed and State Taxes. I am self employed and have 2 full time people working for me. When I started my business back in 1976 my Fed and State Tax return consited of 7 pages. The 2010 return of Fed and State consisted of 132 pages. Form 4543, Form 8903, Schedule M, endless 1040 worksheets, Bonus Depreciation Report, there seem to be no end to adding more to it. In 1976 it took me about 2 hours to prepare all my information for the Accountant. Then I paid him 40 dollars to finalize my Taxes - In April 2011 it took me about 12 hours to prepare it for him and then paid 800 dollars to have him finalize and file it. One has to wonder "What is the goal here by the Fed and State Gov?" To crush small business like us?? Well - they are doing a good job of heading in that direction.

March 20 2012 at 5:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
PLW

If you're laid off and draw unemployment, you're taxed on that. I'll agree, it's income but, I don't understand the concept. It's a small portion of what you were making or what you'd be glad to make if only you had a job. Not only that, in part, it's monies that your employer has contributed to the program he's already been taxed on. His company profits/income and I don't think the taxation for him comes after unemloyment compensation. Isn't that double taxation on the money? I'm totally confused so if anybody can explain the rationallity of it, please do. I totally agree on a flat tax. Everybody taxed at a specific rate, no loopholes.

March 20 2012 at 4:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
shelly6509

Hi, I am a In-Home Child Care Provider and I am new at this and would like to know the tax Guide for the Self Employed. I do have an EIN for filing my taxes, Thank you for your time.
Shelly6509@aol.com

March 20 2012 at 3:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pschemke

There should be no deductions at all. Just a flat 10% tax for everyone. We have the most complicated, convuluted tax code in the world. That way big corporations like Apple would actually bring their off shore money into the States and we would all benefit from the 10% on those billions. Instead, they pay no taxes.

Just get the flat tax. Can you imagine paying taxes on Cash for Keys? Sorry Makeminepine. That is ridiculous.
You just lost your home. I hope life gets better for you.

March 20 2012 at 2:58 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
PRAZNGODDAILY

I still can't understand why yhe government taxes your retirement check. If you set up an IRA, and pull money out during your retirement, they tax that too. Why bother, just spend it all or put it under your mattress.

March 20 2012 at 12:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
makeminepine

Im being taxed 1000.00 for a 4000.00 cash for keys check given to me when B of A took my home...I got a 1099 from the realty company.. it dont seem right...that was an incentive check..should it be taxed??

March 20 2012 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to makeminepine's comment
pschemke

You are right, makeminepine, you just lost your home. You should not be taxed on monies that were meant to get you on your feet. The purpose of that money is so you will have enough for the first months rent and a security deposit somewhere.I hope your life gets better. Stay healthy

I vote for the flat tax. 10% for everyone. No deductions. The tax laws are too confusing.

March 20 2012 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply