- Days left

Tax Time for Single Parents Can Be Doubly Aggravating


Single parents taxesAt tax time, being a parent comes with certain perks. For example:

  • The Child Tax Credit offers up to $1,000 per qualifying child. Qualification criteria include being under the age of 17 at the end of the tax year, being claimed as your dependent, and living with you for more than half of the year. (Learn more here from the IRS [PDF file, Adobe Acrobat required].)
  • The Child and Dependent Care Credit can be very valuable, if you and your child qualify. It's designed to offset some of the cost of paying someone to care for your child so that you can work (or look for work) and amounts to up to 35% of your qualifying expenses. The child must be younger than 13 when the care is provided, and the caregiver cannot be the child's other parent. Income restrictions apply, too, along with other rules. Note, too, that this credit is available if you pay someone to care for a non-child dependent, too, such as an elderly parent. (Learn more here.)
  • The Earned Income Tax Credit can be a great help to low-income working folks -- but it looks so complicated and intimidating that many never take advantage of it. It's estimated that one-fifth of eligible taxpayers don't claim it, and among those who do, the average value is $2,200. You don't even need children to qualify, though the credit's maximum value rises along with the number of children you have. (Learn more.)

The tax credits mentioned above are available to both single and married parents. It's important to make that distinction, because while single parents have many of the same breaks as married parents, there are some they miss out on.

Singling Out Singles

Single parents are not an insignificant portion of our population. In 2009, they numbered nearly 12 million, and in 2011, 27% of all American children lived with just one parent.

If you're a single parent and you're filing tax returns as "Single," you should consider switching to "Head of Household" status, as it can reduce your taxes. The standard deduction is higher for heads of households, for example. Some of the criteria to qualify for the status include your providing more than 50% of the financial support for your household and your children having lived with you for more than 50% of the year.

Heads of households in 2011 can apply exemptions of $3,700 for themselves and each qualifying child against their taxable income. Have two kids? That's a total of $11,100 by which you may be able to reduce your taxable income. (Note that this exemption is available once per child, so two parents living separately may not each claim it.)

Different Standards

In plenty of ways when it comes to the tax code, single parents get what they might reasonably see as a raw deal.

Consider, for example, the home sale exclusion. It offers a person the chance to exclude up to $250,000 of the qualifying gain from the sale of a home from taxes. That's potentially a huge tax break, and for married couples, it's doubled to a $500,000 exclusion. But a single parent, who might head a household of three or four or more people -- more individuals than a childless married couple -- can still only enjoy a $250,000 exclusion, at most.

There are also many smaller items that can really add up. Consider, for example, that you can "phase out" of being eligible for many credits and deductions as your income rises. The limits for married couples filing jointly are generally far higher than for singles and heads of households, even though single parents may be supporting bigger families and have very similar expenses to married couples, without the common benefit of a double income. Of course, there can be pluses along with minuses. A single filer with a lower income than a married couple can end up with a higher dependent credit, for instance.

While the tax system may not seem completely fair, it's what we're stuck with until changes are made. No matter what your tax status is, take a little time to make sure that you're taking advantage of all the breaks available to you. It might even be worth spending a little money to hire a tax pro, if he or she can save you a lot of money.

Longtime Motley Fool contributor Selena Maranjian holds no position in any company mentioned. Click here to see her holdings and a short bio. You can follow Selena on Twitter: @SelenaMaranjian.

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

View Course »

Advice for Recent College Grads

Prepare yourself for the "real world".

View Course »

TurboTax Articles

What is Form 1095-B: Health Coverage

Form 1095-B is a health insurance tax form which reports the type of coverage you have, dependents covered by your insurance policy, and the period of coverage for the prior year. This form is used to verify on your tax return that you and your dependents have at least minimum qualifying health insurance coverage. If you had a break in health care coverage for the tax year, you may have to pay an individual shared responsibility payment, also known as a tax penalty.

What is Form 1095-A: Health Insurance Marketplace Statement

If you bought health insurance through one of the Health Care Exchanges, also known as Marketplaces, you will receive a Form 1095-A which provides information about your insurance policy, your premiums (the cost you pay for insurance) and the people in your household covered by the policy.

What Are the Tax Penalties for Smokers?

This requirement for minimum essential coverage (MEC) under the Affordable Care Act applies to smokers and nonsmokers alike. If you're not covered by an employer's health plan and are a smoker, you can go to the health care marketplace to find MEC. If you're still unable to comply, you may have a penalty applied.

Tax Planning for Beginners

Your tax refund is based on how much tax you pay in excess of the tax you owe. Basic tax planning strategies aimed at reducing the amount of your taxable income may increase the gap and thus your refund. In some cases, these strategies benefit you in other ways, offsetting future costs for health care or providing for retirement. Though some aspects of tax law can be complicated, even a beginner can focus on taxable income reduction.

Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) Survival Guide For ALEs

A key feature of the Affordable Care Act (also known as Obamacare) is the way in which responsibility for affordable health care coverage is shared between stakeholders. Companies that employ 50 or more people may be considered "applicable large employers" or ALEs under the Affordable Care Act. ALEs have specific provisions when it comes to providing health insurance, and these provisions are being phased in from larger to smaller companies over time. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) notes that less than 5% of employers are considered ALEs.

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum


Filter by:
Crys @ Money Drain


February 24 2012 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crys @ Money Drain

Posted a link to this article here: http://moneydrain.net/money-in-the-news-2012-tax-edition/

February 24 2012 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

whine....whine.... there's a govt program for every deadbeat out there. And the responsible folks pay the way!!!

February 13 2012 at 8:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

Single parent. Expalin to me why my hard earned tax dollars should go to this scum. Had they adhered to the teachings of Christ, and not laid as a *****, there wouldn't be such a problem. Reap what you sow scumbags.

February 13 2012 at 7:33 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ilm9p's comment
I <3 u so much!

You do realize that many widows and widowers are single parents, don't you?

February 13 2012 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

god doesn't exist. Get over yourself.

January 15 2013 at 12:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

I prepare taxes, and especially like to do single peoples's with children, at a very resonable charge!! I hate theat they big tax preprares charge $100, $200 and more!!!

February 12 2012 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Bean counter blathering.

February 12 2012 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

What a hoax this article is. Case in point:

"Consider, for example, the home sale exclusion. It offers a person the chance to exclude up to $250,000 of the qualifying gain from the sale of a home from taxes."

That's the GAIN people! Not the sales price of the house! THE GAIN. So if you bought your house for $100,000, made a $50,000 addition and other improvements and then sold it for $250,000, what was your gain? $250? of course not. Your gain was $100,000, very far under the $250,000 GAIN this article talks about.

Considering the dwindling value of housing right now, this article is a typical CPA crying wolf when there is a chihuahua at the door.

February 12 2012 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The most important thing to remember about paying taxes is this...it is not up to you to prove to the IRS what you might owe...it is up to them to prove you owe it. In addition...did you ever take the time to think about how our tax dollars are being spent...stupid wars that take the lives of our nations best!

February 12 2012 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Single parents who get tax dollars? Are you kidding . In 47 a person hardly ever heard of a Single Parent unless their
spouse died. They paid their own way and did not dig into our pockets as a pcik pocketer like their doing today>
Oh! Woa is Me "I'm a Poor Patheic Single Parent" Please feek sorry for me and support me and my children .

February 11 2012 at 4:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

I thought Barrack Hussein Obama was going to help single parents...just another lie I guess.

February 11 2012 at 2:05 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jvinylman502's comment

Well, you thought wrong. nothing new there!

February 11 2012 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply