6 Strategies for Young Adults to Save More in 2012

Saving MoneyBy John Miley, Kiplinger's Personal Finance

Saving doesn't come easily for us young adults. Entry-level salaries don't give you a lot to work with. And, well, we also tend to spend what we make -- and then some -- on the latest gadgets and flashiest fashions.

But don't worry. We're not doomed to frivolity and the wreckage it can make of our finances. Here's how you can start saving smart throughout 2012:

More Galleries on Kiplinger:

• Quiz: Are You Saving Enough for Retirement?

• Tax-Unfriendly States for Retires

• On the Home Stretch to Your Retirement

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

gmydogbud

Young people, have college debt and cannot find JOBS. Wonder how that "Hope & Change" thing is working for them! Our President Ran On - JOBS - JOBS - JOBS - He Even Knew How To Spell It - Remember When He - Did Just That - J - O - B - S - !!! Hard To Save When You Do Not Have A GOOD - PAYING JOB - !!

February 12 2012 at 8:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Setanta

mygawd.......at bedtime........empty out yer pockets and purses of all the coins in there......now.put the pennies here,the nickels there,the dimes over here and the quarters here,OK ? do it every night and at the end of the week wrap the coins or go to the corner bodega where they know you and get a dollar bill for 4 quarters etc and put that aside.
works every time.
when you can handle this move on to putting aside a dollar a day plus that change.

February 11 2012 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SALLY

When I cash my paycheck I keep the hundreds and put all the rest into a special savings account. I never miss that amount and it adds up before you know it. (keep X hundred in checking account and put the xx.xx into savings)

February 09 2012 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cqdeed

Been there, done that. Working at whatever I could during the day, delivering pizzas in the evenings. Paying the credit card company $5 when they wanted hundreds so they would know I wasn't blowing them off. After the wife and I split the sheets I was having a tuff time but I stopped ALL unnecessary spending and buckled down to getting everything paid off. It took several years but now I'm debt free and have a lot better life style. It helps that no one is spending the money I bring home except me. Now when I drop coins in a jar (old habit) I know they will still be there tomorrow.

February 09 2012 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hue

The Daarck Knight team and Party of Christ work hard to fight Satan EVERYWHERE.
And we see results.
It is U Wall Alley PIGG that gives the SEC the venom, persistence and MIGHT to fight U.
It is U Wall Alley PIGG that gives the FBI the venom, persistence and MIGHT to fight U.
It is U Wall Alley PIGG that gives Good Man the venom, persistence and MIGHT to fight U.
THIS IS THE WAY AMERICA wants the SEC and FBI to work. They are RELENTLESS.
Like the new kids on the block.
Do U see Wall Alley what happens 2 U when U become EVIL?
Lay off Americas accounts and portfolios. Heed the warning.
The American Markets GO UP.
IN 2011, 201x, 201 it is a CLOSED loop between the Kingdom of Christ and his creations.
EVIL Man goes NOWHERE but to meet HIS creator.
SQUE we we we we we we we we we we AKY CLEAN echoes the TV commercial pig.

February 08 2012 at 12:14 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
n1yearocrapleft

the first strategy will be to remove this stupid muslim clown out of our white house in handcuffs now before ha can cause any more damage n devastation to our nation ~~16.5 unemployment rate for the last 3 *plus* years~~WHAT A FARKIN DISGRACE. ! !

February 08 2012 at 10:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Daarck Knight

The Daarck Knight team and Party of Christ work hard to fight Satan EVERYWHERE.
And we see results.
THIS IS THE WAY AMERICA wants the SEC and FBI to work. They are RELENTLESS.
Like the new kids on the block.
Do U see Wall Alley what happens 2 U when U become EVIL?
Lay off Americas accounts and portfolios. Heed the warning.
The American Markets GO UP.
EVIL Man goes NOWHERE but to meet HIS creator.

February 08 2012 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
n1yearocrapleft

JAN~20~09~~*THE DISGRACING OF AMERICA*~~half of america knew this muslim clown was going to destory america n he did n these people got what they deserved~~record foreclosures~~record job losses~~record # of american businesses going bankrupt~~ n a 16.5 unemployment rate for the last 3 *plus* years . ! its called *young n dumb*

February 08 2012 at 9:34 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
jhrochesterny

I quit smoking 3 years ago. Used to be about $100/week, with 2 packs and a coffee every day. Bought a car with the money I saved. My incentive was New car, No smoking in it. Quit after 40 yrs with no problem, I was amazed and thankful there was no withdrawal. So I guess make an incentive that means something and just do it. You will be surprised at how much you can save.
Another easy tip: every time you break a $5 or a $10 and get $1s in change, put them aside for some goal. You wont notice they are gone and they add up fast. Then take a vacation after a year with what you saved.

February 07 2012 at 8:06 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Douglas

Good generic advice until I read the line about setting worthwhile savings goals, such as a "luxury vacation." Unless the young adult is making a mint, this does not go along with the gist of the article. Save for a car, house, emergency fund, etc. Why blow it on something that lasts a few days and is over? Weddings are also a big waste of money, IMHO. Every penny you earn you deserve to keep, and by resisting all the minute-by-minute temptations to give it to someone else (e.g., buying stuff you don't need) you can eventually buy something truly worthwhile, your freedom.

February 07 2012 at 6:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply