Study Finds Tablet, E-Book Ownership Soared

TabletsSAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Tablets and e-readers were a popular gift over the holidays, so much so that the number of people who own them nearly doubled between mid-December and January, a new study finds.

A report from the Pew Internet and American Life Project set to be released Monday found that 29 percent of Americans owned at least one tablet or e-reader as of the beginning of this month. That's up from 18 percent who said the same in December.

The iPad from Apple (AAPL) is perhaps the best-known example of these gadgets, along with Amazon.com (AMZN)'s various Kindle devices and the Nook from Barnes and Noble (BKS). The iPad put tablets on the map and the cheaper Kindle Fire and Nook devices helped get them in the hands of more people.

The percentage of people who own a tablet jumped to 19 from 10 between mid-December and early January. E-book reader ownership also rose to 19 percent from 10 percent of U.S. adults.

Men and women were equally likely to own tablets, and the likelihood of tablet ownership was higher for people with higher household incomes, the report found. Those with higher levels of education were also more likely to own tablets than those who completed fewer years of school.

E-readers, meanwhile, were slightly more common among women.

The figures are from ongoing surveys conducted by Pew about tablet and e-reader ownership. They were conducted between November 2011 and January 2012. The first, pre-holiday survey was conducted among 2,986 Americans 16 and older. Two post-holiday surveys were conducted among about 2,000 adults in January.

Basics Of The Stock Market

Stock Market 101 - everything you need to know but were afraid to ask!

Introduction to Retirement Funds

Target date funds help you maintain a long term portfolio.

rolyac

Millions of people are reading with Kindles. Our family uses them constantly. One great children's story on Amazon/kindle is THE ADVENTURES OF DUC. Story based on actual events about a young sea lion. Great ending and illustrations.

January 23 2012 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lthrnck68

I wouldn't own an e-0reader even if it was given to me as a gift. If I'm going to read, it'll be a paper and ink book.

January 23 2012 at 6:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lthrnck68's comment
wllharrington

I too prefer paper and ink, however, I have been doing a fair amount of travel on Amtrac. I find the train comfortable and conducive to reading but I cannot bring enough books with me to last a couple of weeks without bringing a second suitcase or seriously depleting my bank balance. With this in mind , an E-reader that is tied into the fre library system allows me to 'borrow' a book, read it and return it without excessive cost. I did not buy a Kindle by Amazon because one cannot connect to the free local library but must buy the book from Amazon.

January 23 2012 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DictionMary

I dunno about this tablet business. I already have a smart phone that's completely touch screen and has apps... including apps to read books and magazines. It surfs the web rather quickly and, get this, I can make phone calls too! I see people walking around these iPads and Nook's and I think to myself.. if I lose a book, that's probably like $10 out of my pocket. If I rip a page, no problem. But if I damage or lose an iPad or my Nook, that's probably hundreds of dollars in repairs, and AT LEAST $250 (I think a Nook costs about that) to replace one. More for an iPad. I'll keep my money, thanks.

January 23 2012 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cesarvis

No interest ever, waste of money, take that to the beach and drop it in the water see what happens. Alos, why do I want another screen glaring in my face when I am trying to relax, unplug sometime people.

January 23 2012 at 1:03 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cesarvis's comment
AMANDA

I agree...and let"s say you go to the beach and leave it with your other items to go get in the water, and some careless steps on it and breaks it. You wouldn't have to worry so much if you had a regular book.

January 23 2012 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply