5 Big Retail Chains That Will Be Gone in 5 Years

Stores going out of businessRemember strolling through Circuit City or Linens 'n Things? Did you bid Borders farewell this past summer?

Lousy management or simply being in the wrong business at the wrong time is usually all it takes for a once-thriving chain to come undone.

To help you get your mourning out of the way in advance, here are a few retailers that probably aren't long for this world.

Longtime Motley Fool contributor Rick Munarriz does not own shares in any of the stocks in this article. The Motley Fool owns shares of GameStop, Amazon.com, RadioShack, and Best Buy. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of Amazon.com. Motley Fool newsletter services have also recommended writing covered calls in GameStop and Best Buy.

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

Asset Allocation

Learn the most important step in structuring an investment portfolio.

nic

The digital delivery of software and full-content video games is not going to occur within the next 5 years. Sony announced at CES that it is devoted to physical media for the duration of the PS3 (another five years). Another aspect of the physical media sales via Gamestop is their choice to begin offering exclusive content, and exclusive versions of new games (partnerships made with the developers and distribution studios). Finally, if Best Buy does indeed close up job in the next five years, the argument that it accepts trade-ins isn't valid.

By no means am I a Gamestop fanboy, but you need to understand the moving pieces, and see where the sausage is made sometimes.

January 11 2012 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Norina

Best Buy has low margins? What? I don't like Best Buy, but having once been painted into a desperate corner in which I had to pay $35 at Best Buy for a $2 printer cable, I don't think they have a problem with mark-up.

January 10 2012 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsonzo

I keep hearing those folks running for office that they are going to create more jobs in this country but I have not heard any of them say how they will go about it. As long as corporate America outsources to foreign countries this will never happen here, in my opinion

January 10 2012 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mykeeneyes

200, 000 jobs added..but, how many were eliminated or cut - back ? 100 -120 k-mart / sears stores to close, boeing closing kansas city plant within this year....where is the balance?

January 09 2012 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidmhermes

Americans suffer from "greed." They would buy from the Devil if they could get it "cheaper." Witness the recent injury to customers at Wal Mart "bargain days." People getting serverely injured for a pair of Michael Jordan sneakers. Our values are corrupt and the "Money boys" are just taking advantage of that.

January 09 2012 at 7:18 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
knute9

SEARS should have been on the top of the list.

January 09 2012 at 6:05 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jmaneuv011

Sears had better not go out of business-I still need to exchange some hand tools!

January 08 2012 at 10:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lizanías Q

I need a loan of $ 20.000.oo USA dollars to be paid in a two year period to be invested in San Jose, Costa Rica. Only serious investors please: lqr54@yahoo.com; unprincipio@hotmail.com; Telephones: + 506 22262428; + 506 83845158

January 07 2012 at 4:20 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
GypsieAngel

Lets boycott all things from Japan and China and get our own back to work here in the great USA !

January 07 2012 at 2:21 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Cathy Coco

I can't believe Barnes and Nobles is gonna go out!!! THAT IS MY FAV STORE FROM THE ABOVE!!!!!!!!! No offense, but this generation, games destroyed us. I LOVE reading, and the main store is barnes and nobles. I would do ANYTHING TO SUPPORT AND KEEP THE ONGOING OF BARNES AND N.I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was SO sad that Borders went out in the summer!!!!!!!! It is ALL cheap book at borders. :(

January 06 2012 at 6:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Cathy Coco's comment
Lizanías Q

Hello my dear lady. If you can invest $20.000.oo USA dollars with me in San Jose, Costa Rica; and I will pay them in a 24 months period including interes. Only serious offer, please; lqr54@yahoo.com; unprincipio@hotmail.com; + 506 22262428; + 506 83845158

January 07 2012 at 4:25 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Norina

Cathy, to hear some former Borders employees tell it: it wasn't the product that was the problem. It was four successive CEOS who knew nothing about the book industry that drove Borders into the ground. Borders was suffering from the same sickness many industries are: too many self-serving idiots with MBAs who know nothing about the businesses they are running. Unfortunately, they are the ones who always seem to be in charge.

January 10 2012 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply