A retiree named Bob is confronting a dilemma many of his peers face: His nest egg is parked in safe cash investments, like certificates of deposit, and earning barely any interest. What can he do to get a better return? Laura Rowley looks at an increasingly popular alternative.

Advice for Recent College Grads

Prepare yourself for the "real world".

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

carringtonmktg

The best option today is an index annuity that has no caps and provides a minimum 7% income growth regardless of what goes on in the market. Oh, by the way there is no downside risk!

December 06 2011 at 5:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MONTOOTH

We're hearing the same old advice on this--I retired last year and have had about a 3-3.5% return on a portion of my portfolio that is invested in a stable value fund with my former employer (a public university). I encourage folks to check the Stable Value Fund Association website (I have no affiliation with them), if they want to learn more. The other harsh truth is that stocks should still be a part of every retiree's portfolio. We're goin' through a rough spot--and stocks do offer the best hedge against inflation long-term. Also, depending on your circumstance and if you do not need SSA, delay taking benefits as long as you can to allow this so-called 'guaranteed' income stream to accrue value. Stable Value. http://stablevalue.org/ All the big investment companies have these types of funds, Vanguard, Fidelity, T. Rowe Price, etc.

December 02 2011 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donut999

She is trying real hard and again is leaving out critcal info like, yes, Virginia, even stocks that pay a decent divididend can also drop like a rock same as any other old stock. Hopefully they are not paying her much.

November 22 2011 at 3:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Davie2743

The way things are going they may have to die sooner rather than later so there is no estate tax to their heirs.

November 22 2011 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
steve thompson

Started buying silver at beginning of 08, I have doubled my retirement funds. Everything 401k's, savings, all sold out and in silver. Minimal in banks. Remove yourself from the system or be crushed by it when it collapses.

November 22 2011 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gsandersjr

They can hatch some occupiers to fill and utilize their nest.

November 22 2011 at 12:00 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
pozboys

As crazy as it sounds, "A bird in the hand, is worth three in the bush!! The logic is inescapable! This must be an article pushed by Wall Street, which, by the way, is not doing to good, today!! I'll take and "hold on to my money", as it seems a mattress, is a better investment!!!

November 22 2011 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaufmatt

are you serious?..You fail to mention the risk with this type of investment. Staying in cash insures that the principal stays in tact

November 22 2011 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kaufmatt's comment
gsandersjr

Until inflation devalues it....

November 22 2011 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hinda41

Savings must be started as soon as you are born. That's what I did for my two daughters. I had beautiful catered weddings for both. My husband & I were small wage earners.

November 22 2011 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to hinda41's comment
pozboys

You should have spent the money on a house or condo, for them, as it would have been, "more beautiful", for them!!

November 22 2011 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

Currently we have two choices:

1) Let our money sit with banks/management companies, etc. and make maybe 1% interest, therefore losing money to inflation while Wall Street and CEO execs get $10 million+ a year bonuses for doing a terrible job.

2) Put it all in the proverbial mattress and pay cash for everything, and go completely broke within a few years and then live off of welfare for 30+ years until we drop dead.

Welcome to the new America, the land of choice!

November 22 2011 at 9:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply