Black Friday Battle Shapes Up as Nordstrom vs. WalmartThis story was updated at 4:29 pm on 11/10/11

With Walmart's (WMT) announcement Thursday that it will open at 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving, the holiday is now officially morphing into Black Friday Eve. While some shoppers will spend the day camping out and grilling turkey burgers in parking lots, others -- fed up with with the ever-earlier shopping frenzy -- are boycotting the day. Vocal anti-consumerism activists are gathering support for "Buy Nothing Day", and many more are making the easy choice to stay home and sleep.

Nordstrom, (JWN) the Seattle-based department store, has figured out a way to reach these contrarian consumers, who will still shop this holiday season, even if they're not at Walmart looking for deals while the turkey is still warm.

For as long as anyone can remember at Nordstrom, stores have posted signs informing customers it won't be engaging in Christmas marketing or displays until Thanksgiving is officially over. (News stories on the strategy date back to 2005).
Black Friday Battle Shapes Up as Nordstrom vs. Walmart
"We won't be decking our halls until Friday, November 25," the signs read. "Why? Well, we just like the idea of celebrating one holiday at a time. From our family to yours, Happy Thanksgiving."

One photo recently shared about 17,000 times on Facebook was actually from last year, when Black Friday landed on November 27. On Nordstrom's Facebook page, excited commentators who spotted the viral image are commending Nordstrom for its "classy decision," "true respect for each holiday," and "caring about the people behind the money."

Of course, upscale Nordstrom also cares about attracting those shoppers who can afford to spend a little more during holidays and skip the Black Friday deal scavenge. So far, the anti-marketing marketing campaign appears to be working its magic.

"I commend you for taking the step of not decorating yet. I plan to spend my holiday budget with you for this exact reason," wrote one fan on Thursday.

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

Economics 101

Intro to economics. But fun.

Leah Gadsden-Follet

To StampnBead, I used to work at Nordstrom and helped volunteer to decorate for Christmas. Employees who want to participate come in the evening before Thanksgiving and decorate the stores. They get paid for the job, get drinks and snacks, and are never there past midnight. Nordstrom does not make their employees work on the holiday (wouldn't that sort of contradict their whole philosophy?), and in fact are a great company to work for, at least in my experience.

November 17 2011 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krakowiak2003

thanks fot the contact.
This country, France, will never understand or accept any effort.
Low level, great expectancies and no ground.
Greece and then France, n° 17 as I have heard .
Hope in what ? Nothingness inhabits most people.
Bye cl Bénac Toulouse.

November 15 2011 at 3:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krakowiak2003

Thanks for the contact.
pessimism should be felt by most people here, (France)
They wait for words.
Few ideas, low level and an urge for gifts, advantages.
The situation in Greece is just a beginning France must and will follow.

November 15 2011 at 3:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thescot

Three cheers for Norstran.

November 14 2011 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gregginsarasota

I remember back in the 1960's us kids were concerned about the over-commercialism of Christmas. I couldn't believe "they" were showing Christmas commercials on TV BEFORE HALLOWEEN!!!!!! With Thanxgiving two weeks away, we will all be sick and tired of the Christmas Commercials long before the exploited Holiday! I know we are all pinching and I sincerely hope the retailers have a prosperous season (if they do, we ALL do) - but isn't ANYTHING sacred anymore?????

November 12 2011 at 7:42 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
StampnBead

Sooo... really? Applaud Nordstrom for not "decking their halls" til the day after Thanksgivng - do you mean they are putting the decorations up ON Friday? I'm thinking their employees in the display department get to celebrate the holiday by working. How else will the store be decorated when it opens on Friday morning? Or do they have elves come in and do it?

November 12 2011 at 7:01 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
jenn9458

Nordstrom is setting a fine example that other retailers should follow. For the most part, I don't shop at Norstrom often and I do not frequent Walmart. Most Walmarts I've visited are not desirable places to shop. Most of their perishable groceries are subpar and the shopping enviorment dismal, The only positive is their pricing is cheaper, for the most part. Stores like Target, Kohl's and Retail Outlet Malls should also follow Nordstrom's example. Holidays should be about family, not shopping....One holiday at a time...

November 12 2011 at 6:39 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
sdodge4574

Thank you Nordstrom! Let Thanksgiving be Thanksgiving, and enjoy the day with friends & family. I don't need to shop on such a special holiday.

November 12 2011 at 4:42 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
ejljr

Hey Nordstrom! Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

November 12 2011 at 4:39 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
monijank

We live in an entitlement society that values "stuff" and more "stuff" MORE than value and family values. Does it really matter if you're buying your "stuff" from Walmart or Nordstrom? That's just about cost and "perceived value". When I was growing up we got 1 present from "Santa" (mom and dad). My parents were not rich, nor we we dirt poor. My dad was a laborer at the Steel Mills and there were many winters that work was slow and he was laid off. I remember one Christmas in particular - it has always stood out in my mind as the best and most memorable. My dad was laid off - there were not credit card to put charges on and "pay later". If we didn't have the money - we didn't have the money. Mom and Dad did not have money for Christmas presents that year - paying the mortgage, utilities, and putting food on the table was it. On Christmas Eve before the Christmas Service at Church, they took us kids (4) to a local "dime store" that had everything marked down that day - and let each of us pick out a 500 pc puzzle from the sale table (they were marked down to $1.50) and WE got to pick it!! The year was 1972. The next 10 days while we were on Chirstmas break from school - DAD WAS HOME - and we spent all week putting those puzzles together - playing in the snow - going ice skating - doing things together!! It was the BEST Christmas I can remember!! That doesn't happen any longer. It's all about how many gifts you got - and how much they cost! SO SAD!!!!!!!!! MEMORIES ARE PRICELESS - AND LAST A LIFETIME!!!!!!!!!! Think about it!!

November 12 2011 at 4:37 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply