As a salute to those who have served our country, on Friday, many restaurants and other businesses are offering freebies to active military and veterans for Veterans Day.

You'll need military ID or proof of service in many cases, and it's recommended you call first to make sure the particular franchise you're visiting is participating. Some offers, as indicated below, might also apply to civilians as well and might be happening on a different date.

Dig in and enjoy. That's an order!

The following are among the best deals for 11-11-11 compiled by Coupon Sherpa, plus a few we added on our own.

1. Chili's
Free meal for active duty military personnel and veterans. Choice of one of six meals on a dine-in-only basis. Beverages and gratuity not included. 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

2. Denny's
Free Grand Slam breakfast for active duty military personnel and veterans. Geographically limited.

3. Subway
Free six-inch sub for veterans.

4. Macy's
Use promo code VET15 and receive 10% to 15% off through Nov. 13. Nonmilitary customers can also get the discount.

5. Spaghetti Warehouse
A 11-cent meal with a coupon for both military and civilians. "Like" the Spaghetti Warehouse on Facebook and get a serving of lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, or any original recipe spaghetti entree for 11 cents.

6. Texas Roadhouse
Free lunch 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. for active duty military personnel and veterans. Dine-in only.

7. McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurants

Free lunch or dinner entrée on Nov. 13 for veterans as part of restaurant's 13th annual Veterans Appreciation Event.

8. Grace For Vets
Free car wash for active duty military personnel and veterans.

9. Hy-Vee
Free breakfast buffet from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. for active duty military and veterans at its Midwestern stores.

10. Applebees
Free entree for active duty military personnel and veterans. Menu includes house sirloin and fiesta lime chicken. Basic sides come with the deal, but not dessert or tip. Dine-in only.

11. Hooters
10-piece wing order with the purchase of a drink. Active duty military personnel and veterans must bring proof of military service.

12. Olive Garden
Special free menu for all active-duty and retired service men and women.

13. Krispy Kreme
Active-duty military, retirees and veterans get a free doughnut.

14. Golden Corral
Active-duty or retired military personnel dine free Nov. 14 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. No proof required.

Introduction to Preferred Shares

Learn the difference between preferred and common shares.

Intro to Retirement

Get started early planning for your long term future.

nthereoff

Bring back the draft. All of us owe our country two years or more in service. Not a few but all. God bless Amercia

November 12 2011 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stpsjsr

subway said no

November 12 2011 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anklewings

sorry about my spelling.

November 12 2011 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anklewings

As a veteran, I served 8 years as an army medic, 4 years air force as a medical technicianand 12 years as a corman in the Navy seabees. I was inducted later to Desert Storm and served with batallion 17 from Port Hueneme, California. I am glad it's rest time for me. Thanks to all the vets and thier families that went and are still going thru hard times. We fought in 2 World Wars at the same time and many other conflicts. Medals and comenndations didn't mean a thing to me because their are more brave men and women that were killed and forgotten. But those that servived came home to families that loved them except for widows. War is hell and what gets me is why do we have to fight someone else's war. God Bless America. Land Of The Free.

November 12 2011 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tdp314

I did my quick two years in and out (Army, 71-73), and was glad I served. Stayed stateside, but also felt the pain of being a Vietnam-era vet when I got out. A lot of employers discriminated against us then, but we worked hard and made it. Good luck to all, to those who served and to those who are still on duty. (Interesting word "duty." Don't hear much about that word anymore, do we.)

November 12 2011 at 7:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry's

I was a member of the U. A. Air Force from 10/65-2/69. Went to college in evenings, served as medic during duty time, and made the best of a bad situation. Made the mistake only once of wearing my field jacket to class as a civilian - lots of insults, shameful accusations, hurtful comments by cowards who didn't volunteer or get drafted by the way. I walked away without a scratch, but was injured between the ears for years. It took a good eight months to readjust to being civilian, but earned a BA and M Ed., worked hard in spite of PTSD, and retired two years ago.
I'm darned proud that I treated my country better than it treated me, i.e., getting Veteran's benefits was too much red tape, bureaucracy, delay, etc. Today I am teaching my mini-Aussie to count (really!), keep my lawn manicured and home spotless, and am busy in my church and Lodge. A bad day of retirement beats any good day I ever had at work, but would like to have come home to a better reception and job opportunities, and fair treatment in return for my sacrifice. However, I did get to come home; 57,000 others lost all on foreign soil.

November 11 2011 at 6:24 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Terry's's comment
BRUCE

Nicely said Terry!

November 11 2011 at 7:24 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Greg

Welcome home Terry. You had my back when I was in High School - I decided to be a Army Aviator because of vets like you. Did 30 years that seemed like 30 days. Would like to meet you.

Greg

November 11 2011 at 8:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
phillpdevans

1966-1968 11th armor cav in helicopters got home not a good time been hard for pass years

November 11 2011 at 4:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to phillpdevans's comment
alwerry

My husband served in the years of the Vietnam war and unfortunately I too remember how our military men were treated. Let me thank you and all those who served during this very frustrating time. An enormous deal of unfairness in this world seems to follow and haunt the best of us. I've prayed for you this day that you will not feel that loneliness again. It is an emptiness like no other and something that comes very unexpectedly after the ULTIMATE of SERVING your COUNTRY! This response was to" jamdrgnnr"

November 11 2011 at 5:34 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
jamdrgnnr

I really needed this right after I returned after serving 19 months over Vietnam with a Purple Heart. I was only 20 years old. It is way to late now. But I like everyone else, when over Vietnam alone and returned home alone. I came back to no parades or cheers, but resentment and hatefulness from the American people, calling me baby killer etc.. As I suffered from what I went through alone, I learned to hide that I served over Vietnam. When our troops went over Iraq together as a group, for a 100 hour war and came back together as a group to parades and all kinds of glory, I was very angry. How could they get all that glory for 100 hour war. There where 58,267 killed over Vietnam and 305,000 wounded. There where no Wounded Warrior Projects, or anything like that for us, only hatefulness. But I got over that about 3 years later and I even gave my car away to a Iraq Purple Heart Veteran in need. I wanted to make sure, that they did not go through what I did and that we appreciated there service and cared about them. My physical wounds have long ago healed, but I still suffer mentally and I never married or had any children. I have faced the fact, that I will continue to spend the rest of my life alone.

November 11 2011 at 2:25 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jamdrgnnr's comment
BRUCE

It was indeed a dark time in how our country treated the Vietnam veterans when they returned home! When we were on leave we were told to keep a low profile and not wear our uniforms so that we would not become targets of rage. Fairness is something that continues to elude many in the journey of life and is a bitter injustice. Thank you for your service to our country.

November 11 2011 at 2:58 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
kastmaster2105

yes....1966...USMC...I made $92/mo......and still poor.....65 the 21st...thanx to all that served proudly...ed in tx 77563

November 11 2011 at 2:16 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
BRUCE

Just got back from our town's Veterans Day memorial service..it was great! Thank you to all my brother/sisters for their service to our country.

USAF Vietnam Veteran (66 - 69)

November 11 2011 at 1:11 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply