When you get deep into credit card debt, it can feel like you've been through a financial storm. That's the story for a social worker named Heather, who has $30,000 in credit card debt. DailyFinance's Laura Rowley looks at key steps to clear the debris from her path to a brighter financial future.

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

marcemillan

HOUSE,IS IMPORTAN BAT MI FAMILI IS MOR

December 02 2011 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big Lou64

All you people who complain about people living beyond their means kill me. How exactly do you think our economy works? Buy now and pay later is the foundation of this economy. If everyone only spent what they made, no one would own a car, house, boat. Business spends beyond their means, governments, everybody!!!! What makes me the maddest is you expect a higher degree of accountability from individuals and not from governments or big business. They can do whatever they want and that's expected. The jobs you have now are dependent on people spending on credit! Just goes to show I was right all along, People suck!

November 09 2011 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JohnC

Don't tell me - it's everybodys fault but hers....Sounds like a loser to me ...

November 09 2011 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

Here's a tip: Don't spend more than you make. Some people think they have to have everyting on a phone and everything on a TV. Guess what.........................YOU DON'T.

November 08 2011 at 4:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
stuart100s

Who would give a social worker a 30,000 credit limit? I couldn't sit through the commercial.

November 08 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SPQR

People did it to themselves ...they wanted more and got caught up in the spending spree. They should ban credit cards as they are now. New rules are needed because people are too stupid to stop spending

November 08 2011 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mark

TOTAL BS called BOA to lower my rate, YA RIGHT, NO , NO, NO, then after my call, the next month, My rate went from 9.9 to 15.9, GREAT I'm sure glad I called, O ya, now my ceadit limit id no longer 30,000 its my balance of 14,000.
Do NOT call your bank and ask for help!!! Not only will you not get help, But you will pay dearly,

November 08 2011 at 8:24 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mark's comment
kaiaconstruction

Sorry to hear that they increased your rate because of a phone call. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I can honestly say that I have had very good success with my Citibank card but got rid of my Chase card because Citibank gave me 5.9% until I pay it off and Chase told me no way and increased my % rate 4 months later which I know had nothing to do with my phone call. I paid off that Chase card ASAP and then canceled the card. With Citibank I had to speak with a supervisor. The first person you talk to doesn't have the authority. In the past 8 years that I have even know this was available I have been doing this with success about every 12 to 16 months. Good Luck.

November 08 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

Giuliani says the protestors should occupy a job. LOL. He should be president.

November 07 2011 at 8:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
donut999

Loved the opening---Debt can be a major roadblock to wealth. What an earthshattering, brilliant statement.

November 07 2011 at 3:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hemipwr54

1. Say you are "to big to fail" and get a bailout/loan
2. Start a account and place all bad debt there so it can be forgotten
3. Demand higher profits and kept all extra money while filing for finical aid
Just things I have learned from Banks in the last 3 years , they do it so why can't we ?
America's banks credit scores have been lowered , we the consumer need to ask what theirs are now , not them ours .

November 07 2011 at 2:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply