Save Your Sole and Your Budget: Run Barefoot Want to save $500 a year, be as fit as a lion, and stick it to big corporations? If you're a runner, it's easy. Give up running shoes and go barefoot. Your gait will improve, you'll suffer fewer injuries, and you'll be making great strides toward easing your budget, devotees insist.

Sneaker-wearing entrants in this weekend's New York City Marathon might have already felt run over by sticker shock. Major brands like Nike (NKE) and Adidas (ADDYY) cost north of $110 and manufacturers tell you to replace them every 300 to 500 miles, says Christopher McDougall, a prominent figure in the shoeless movement and author of the bestselling Born to Run.

If you're running 50 miles a week, you could be buying up to eight pairs a year. That puts you on track to becoming the Imelda Marcos of the sneaker set.

McDougall tells DailyFinance he has saved "thousands of dollars" going shoeless. "It's not so much about running barefoot," says McDougall, who has a feature about shoeless running in this Sunday's New York Times. "It's about not buying something you don't need."

McDougall once asked a major shoe executive why his company couldn't make a shoe for $20. "He looked at me like I was speaking Lithuanian," McDougall says.

If pocketing miles worth of moolah doesn't make your tootsies tingle, then how about this? The guru for the unshod says the savings from eliminating visits to the orthopedist are also significant, as is swearing off other activities we pay for. "You don't need massage therapy, you don't need a gym membership, you don't need yoga, you don't need stretching balls," he says. "As animals we are hardwired to enjoy running. Everything else we created. Running was the one thing that came to us as a gift."

Have No Fear for Your Feet

Barefoot running has tiptoed away from the fringe into a boomlet in recent years. The Barefoot Runners Society increased from 680 founding members in 2009 to 1,345 a year later, according to The New York Times. Sunday's marathon, now the nation's biggest, will feature tens of dozens of barefooters among the 47,000 entrants pounding pavement for 26.2 miles.

Competing shoeless is not new in modern sport. Abebe Bikila of Ethiopia won the 1960 Olympic marathon gold medal with his feet au naturel. Zola Budd of Great Britain ran barefoot at the 1984 Olympics, colliding famously with Mary Decker in the 3,000-meter race.

But among rank and file joggers, the trend has accelerated in the last five years. It didn't take long for the shoe companies to co-opt the movement, producing "minimalist" footwear with maximal price tags. The Vibram Five Fingers has a five-toed design to imitate the contours of your dogs for $90. The Nike Free is anything but free at up to $125. Barefoot advocates say cheap moccasins or even ballet slippers can provide protection.

Shoe companies are heels, McDougall says. They took over running in the 1970s and haven't loosened their grip. "The best marketing tool of all time is fear. 'If you don't have all this stuff, you're gonna get hurt.' People listened to that, and the truth is the exact opposite. You buy that stuff and you will get hurt."

Doctors Have a Foot in Both Camps

Thomas Hollowell, author of the The Complete Idiot's Guide to Barefoot Running, calculated that he saved $482 on shoes in the last year. Hollowell switches between shoeless and minimalist, saying that even a pricy minimalist model will last long because there's no concern about decreasing support. Either way, he says, "Many runners are happy to save. This might give them more money to travel or join other races, or enjoy spending their money on other pursuits."

Arch enemies of the movement say it's dangerous. Aficionados swear that the ball-first ground strike promoted by barefoot running allows the cushiest part of your foot to naturally absorb shock, whereas the traditional shod heel-first impact jars the entire body. The American Podiatric Medical Association explains in a statement that the evidence on both sides is inconclusive. It warns barefoot practitioners about possible lower-extremity injuries and puncture wounds from ground debris.

For an exercise to learn proper barefoot running form, check out McDougall's video (in sandals this time) for the New York Times Sunday Magazine.

Those who want to try barefoot should start slowly, experts urge. Walk even. Increase your distance by yards each time, not miles. In a while, your feet won't be the delicate dogs you may think they are. Hollowell runs shoeless on asphalt and in winter, saying his feet warm up quickly. But on unfamiliar or snowy terrain, he uses minimalist slip-ons. Common sense should dictate your choices.

As you stride off down the path to big savings, run shoeless -- not clueless.

Managing your Portfolio

Keeping your portfolio and financial life fit!

How to Buy a Car

How to get the best deal and buy a car with confidence.

Greg

This just seems like a terrible idea - running barefoot - with all the bits of broken glass and trash and pet feces, etc.. However, I've only lived in urban areas for the past 30 years, so maybe some rural areas work for runners.

However, I hear lots of positve things about the Vibrams and other similar brands, so I'm going to try them out.

November 07 2011 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kv37

What a foolish idea. Lots of sharp materials (man-made and natural) to gash your foot wide open. Any foot doctor could tell you all about this.

November 07 2011 at 8:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lumorrone

I once ran without shoes and suffered with blisters and no skin on my feet. Prepare to pay the doctor what you save in the cost of shoes, probably you'll pay the doctor more.

November 06 2011 at 7:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamisonmichalep

Saving****Saving*****Saving. Make it a Practise......Make it a Religion!!!!

November 06 2011 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
locorobbie

OH MAN THIS IS GREAT FOR A "FOOT FETISH" GUY LIKE ME! I'd Lick all the Girl Feet completely clean! This, of course, is after they run for miles and get their Feet SOOOO Dirty! YESSSSSSSS!!!! Oh man, I also love Licking Girl Hands! I love it when they are Dirty too (and juicy)! They "Taste" so good when they are sweaty, especially from working out! Come to think of it, I'd Lick the Girl Handz after a nice long run! I want to Lick BOTH! Man! Dirty Girl Hands and Feet "Taste" so sweet! Lick the extremely Dirty Hands/Feet and swallow (the best)! Then have the stomach make noises while digesting the tasty Germs! OH YEAH I'M CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Jackson (28 year old fun guy--thiz is not 'Spam' of course!)

November 05 2011 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to locorobbie's comment
savemycountry911

EEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

November 05 2011 at 7:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Chaz Koch

if bare foot running is better than shoe running why do kenyan running camps want our old shoes? Apparently old shoes are better than no shoes. Jack ass!

November 05 2011 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amlngn

Wow, i can not think of anything more painful, there is only a small group of people that can get away with this feat. As forthe rest of us, a pair of shoes will lasta long long time with a bit of Dr. Scholls, just common sense, no extremes here.

November 05 2011 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to amlngn's comment
libbyejansen

when I was in my teens used to go shoeless as muchas I could, it's a matter of building endureance and slowly toughening the foot the same way you train the body for a sport. I even walked barefoot in winter sometimes in Denver during the winter no less. That was I got bitten by the fashon shoe thing and started wearing shoes all the time as well as the fact that a lot of places won't allow you inside without shoes.

November 05 2011 at 6:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
squiddydoo8

Uh how do run down any public or rural street in America these days and NOT get little shards of glass in your foot and/or avoid all those little pointy rocks n pebbles that seem to be unavoidable???

November 04 2011 at 10:48 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to squiddydoo8's comment
libbyejansen

I should hope that all the jogging biking paths are at least kept clear of glass, even bicyclists hate broken glass. Generally I assume that the goal is to avoid very rough areas but also to slowly toughen the feet. Considering the damages and calluses I've gotten from shoes I believe I will start to return nto going shoeless as much as possible. Don't even get me started on all the reports of damage from wearing heels. I used to walk form one side of Denver to the other in 3 inch heels, what a nut job I was. As long as I remember to go slow and toughen my feet like any athlete would condition another bady part I should be fine.

November 05 2011 at 6:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sddrunner

MARKETING

November 04 2011 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephen

Assuming that the ground isn't littered with broken glass and rusty nails, Go For It! -- in fact, I'd advocate running (or jogging or speedwalking, or strolling) completely unencumbered by any articles of clothing whatsoever.

November 04 2011 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stephen's comment
libbyejansen

I can't speak for others but the thought of my chest bouncing about with no support sounds a bit to painful, I can't imagine a heavy chested gal find it the least bit pleasent and more likely very painful. Some form of support is not always a bad idea though I can't say as most bras are all that great either.

November 05 2011 at 6:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply