The Most Affordable Places to Retire in 2012 Financial planner Thomas Corey has a new book revealing the most affordable places to retire in 2012, highlighting cities and towns that also offer lifestyle benefits. He unveils the winners for DailyFinance's Laura Rowley.
(Special thanks to Chris Crowley for providing this photo of Holly Hill, Florida.)

Economics 101

Intro to economics. But fun.

Advice for Recent College Grads

Prepare yourself for the "real world".

intelligenceforrent

November 07 2011 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

Welcome to our beaches. Now go home.

November 06 2011 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gmydogbud

Would have moved to another state long ago however our family, friends, doctors and support system, would be gone. We are unable to vacation or go out very much as Federal, State & Local,Taxes. upkeep on our home, homeowners, car and health insurance are very high. No increase in Social Security for two years, being told that the Cost Of Living had not gone up, while the Multi-Millionaire Members Of The Congress Took A THIRTY-SIX, Thousand Dollar A Year - Cost Of Living Increase! Heard that although we will get a 3.6% increase in Social Security, the cost of Medicare is going up + the diductable is going up to - TWO Hundred Dollars. So much for the 3.6% increase! Every President & Congress, since President L.B.J., have SQUANDERED - OUR - SOCIAL - SECURITY - FUND - MONEY!! Have only heard of one Lawmaker, saying he is not making enough money to take care of his family & he is a Republican and has an income of FOUR - HUNDRED - THOUSAND - DOLLARS! Wonder what he thinks the rest of us do on much, much, less!! These people have NO IDEA, What WE IN THE REAL WORLD MUST DEAL WITH Day IN & DAY OUT!

November 06 2011 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MONTOOTH

As most people may know and consider, retirees who are physically and financially able, have many options throughout retirement and should be open to locating wherever their fancy might lead. What's wrong with renting in a great city like New York or San Francisco for a few months ? I retired to Palm Springs, CA last year. I have a very affordable, capacious home in a gated community with all the amenities. Property taxes in this area are about 1.2% of the assessed value of the home and there are some really nice ones on the market right now. I go to San Diego once a quarter or so aand the train takes me to Los Angeles. Utility costs during the summer aren't as high I thought they might be, e.g., my A/C for the 3 months of summer Jly-Sept, averages about $80 per month, other costs are extremely low. While state income tax does exist for retirement income, SSA benefits are exempt. Given the incredibly high insurance costs of Florida and the high utility costs of the midwest, north and northeast, and the northwest as well, when you do the numbers, it seems to all kinda even out to me. States that don't have personal income tax, have high maintenance costs and insurance costs. I say, live wherever your heart desires, you'll be able to make it and don't think you have to STAY anywhere --well, at least until you HAVE to, and who knows when that will be, given that folks are living much, much longer. In the immortal words of Mame Dennis "Live, live, live...life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starvin' to death." The criteria this book uses isn't all there is to living in and liking a particular location.

November 06 2011 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jtjones07

I moved to Palm Coast, FL a little over a year ago. We live in a gated community less that a mile (as the crow flys) from the ocean. We paid almost $300K less for our house than it cost to build in 2006. We are 20 miles from St Augustine, 30 miles from Daytona Beach and 70 miles from Orlando. We are near beautiful beaches where we can walk for miles and sometimes see 3 or 4 people. We can walk or ride bikes on the Intertcostal Waterway for miles without having to encounter a car or any noise other than an occasional boat. There is more golf and tennis than I can play and all the activities you could possibly want. No night life! everyone in in bed by 10PM. I have been told that we have not had a direct hit from a hurricane for over 15 years. I have found the medical care to be adequate locally, thank God I have not had to visit The Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville for anything major. It is hot during the summer, but I tolerate heat very well. (NO MORE SNOW) We are in central Florida, near the ocean so it's not as hot as south Florida or even inland Florida. This area experienced tremendous growth a few years ago. The area went from 24k population to close to 100k in about 5 years. That has now slowed and it is reflected in a depressed real estate market. If you are going to move here, do it soon. This is such a great location that when the economy recovers, this area will start to grow wildly again. I am so happy we retired here. We love it!

November 05 2011 at 11:03 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
The Texas Cowboy

Well, I'm here to tell anyone who would like to know, I had to retire early due to health problems & was sure that I had plenty of money to retire own (I'm 72 & retired at 59 & a half ) but I didn't preceive the economy going down though the tubes, I retired on a 6 figure number of money & I was doing find but after Wall Street got though with me I had lost $200,000 of my (IRA), now I'm for from being completely broke but I have to be careful with my money now....I lived & worked in the town that I was born in (Port Arthur, Tx) & worked for one of the local Oil/Chem plants & after I retired I moved to live on the shores of a Lake up in East Texas (lived here for 12 years) but medical services were not that good so I moved to Katy, Tx & into a 55+ Senior Complex & its great...I have been to lots of other states & cities & didn't find any that I liked as much as Texas & I don't care what the people on these comments say about Texans & Texas, we may not be the smartest but we don't live where taxes are so high that you can't hardly live after paying them, we don't have to shovel snow off of our side-walks, we aren't rude, insulting or as-h--es but we do live where there is green grass & we enjoy BBQ, Chili & Gumbo but it is rather cheap to live here, they have Complexes like I live in (thats cheap) & there some Complexes that are more expensive, it just depends on the services & amenties that you want or need, our summers are a little rough but our winters are mile, I just thought I might give a little insight into what its like living here in Texas, now Complex living is not for everyone, we like it because there is no maintainance or upkeep to worry about...just my dimes worth......

November 03 2011 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to The Texas Cowboy's comment
dabrownman

My brother just moved to Katy TX for a new job. He left Detriot where jobs are tough. Our Uncle retired there from Houston which isn' far away. I would think that Texas and Florida are the cheapest places to retire right now because of housing costs and no state taxes with AZ and OR (no state too) not far behind. I'm looking fora cheap summer home not too far from the ocean in Oregon. It is too hot in AZ in the summer when you are retired.

November 04 2011 at 5:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Come to TN! Very low cost of living, no state taxes or social security tax..reaonable housing costs and low insurance premiums. Plus, it's really pretty!!

November 03 2011 at 1:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Donna's comment
dabrownman

How's the ocean?

November 04 2011 at 5:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Cate

Who is considering retiring when everyone is out of work and losing their houses ?

November 03 2011 at 12:49 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to Cate's comment
wjsiii79

Are you kidding? Add to your "methodology" ---somewhere you might want to actually live.

Texas? Mississippi?

My advice work harder and save enough money to live in NJ.

November 03 2011 at 12:01 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to wjsiii79's comment
savemycountry911

I've visited NY and wouldn't want to live there. The South is much better.

November 03 2011 at 2:51 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to savemycountry911's comment
hattie54

Parts of NJ suck and parts are nice tho.I'd retire there than Texas or Miss.Yikes.

November 03 2011 at 3:47 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to hattie54's comment
savemycountry911

Yankeeville? NEVER.

November 03 2011 at 6:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
dabrownman

The South may have lost the war but we are tired of being occupied for 145 years by whack job Jagoff, Yahoo Yankees

November 04 2011 at 5:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
rx901tn

Fixing Congress. Pass this On

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the
best quotes about the debt ceiling:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just
pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more
than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible
for re-election".

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds)
took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple!
The people demanded it. That was in 1971 - before computers, e-mail,
cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year
or less to become the law of the land - all because of public pressure.

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this E-mail to
a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask
each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will
have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed
around.

_*Congressional Reform Act of 2011*_

1. No Tenure / No Pension.

A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no
pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social
Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the
Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into
the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the
American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all
Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.
Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and
participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the
American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void
effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this
contract with Congressmen/women.

Congressmen/women made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in
Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers
envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their
term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will
only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive
the message. Don't you think it's time?

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!

If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just del

November 03 2011 at 10:44 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to rx901tn's comment
Manuel Silva

I agree with you 100 %. hopefully everyone who agrees will get together to turn thisexact bill into law !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 03 2011 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dabrownman

You forgot to lower their pay by 70K a year and to force a balanced budget. These spendthrift criminals are way overpaid and they should never ever be allowed to run a deficit unless we are attacked by Martians,Commies or anyone else stupid enough to want to get nuked.

November 04 2011 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply