Christmas Music at McDonald's Already: Are You Lovin' It?

Christmas music playing early at McDonald'sOn a 60-degree October morning at a McDonald's in Manhattan, I wolfed down my Sausage McMuffin to the strains of Brenda Lee's Rockin' Round the Christmas Tree.

My ears didn't deceive me. This McDonald's (MCD) has been been pumping out holiday music since Oct. 15, the day it received the CD from corporate, store manager Luis Tapia said. And when corporate sends its monthly CD, Tapia explained, you play it. "They make research," he told DailyFinance, noting that the jolly soundtrack perhaps takes peoples' minds off war and recession.

But isn't a tad early? Like "I haven't even bought a last-second Halloween costume for my third-grader" early?

It's not a mistake, according to McDonald's HQ in Oak Brook, Ill. If stores received the Yuletide anthology, they can play it at their discretion. So some of the nation's 14,000 McDonald's -- 85% of which are independently owned -- are already decking the halls with sounds of Christmas cheer.

"Some restaurants kind of get into the holiday spirit earlier than others," McDonald's spokeswoman Danya Proud said. "As it relates, we do have a holiday theme that has already begun on some of our packaging. That may have prompted the holiday spirit a little."

Proud said if it makes the customers happy, McDonald's is behind it. "I certainly don't think it's a bad thing," she said.

DailyFinance
returned to the same McDonald's to see if the early-lunch crowd was, as the ad goes, lovin' it. "It's early but it's funny," said Sara Dia, a display host at a nearby Whole Foods Market.

James Michael Hicks, who works at a funeral parlor in Queens, listened for a moment to Winter Wonderland. "It's not the proper time to play the music," he said.

Any suggestions? "Rock 'n' roll," Hicks replied. "Or how about a little Halloween music?"

But Tapia said his outlet getting its Santa on makes "everybody happy" and he hasn't heard any complaints.

Enrique Gomez, a student waiting for his food at the counter, agreed. "It's calming music," he said.

For some fast foodies like myself, however, sweating out the Nov. 14 deadline for McRib availability is stressful enough. Now we have to worry about Jack Frost nipping at our nose, too.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

flyway001

That's great! I love Christmas Music!

October 30 2011 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

Great. Now it's snowin' all across the Northeast.

October 29 2011 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimrrm

Too Early!!!

October 28 2011 at 1:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
aajarm

Sounds great to me. Can someone tell me why it is OK for Cher's duagther/son/it to have a sex change operation or for a guy to bone another guy, yet Christmas is an issue with you morons?

October 28 2011 at 1:30 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mrsentinel

Carter's clothing store starts their Christmas music October 1. Sorry McDonald's.

October 28 2011 at 10:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
antipodal2u

Jolly music, fun toys, expansive playgrounds. How about some REAL food that isnt stagnating under a heat lamp?

October 28 2011 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
don48895

who cares , the nastiest food on the planet

October 28 2011 at 9:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
thescot

I will not go into McD's till after Thanksgiving if they are going to play Christmas music. Now is way too early. XM radio doesn't even start till Thanksgiving.

October 28 2011 at 9:22 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
ilebr

I'm here to announce my love for Christmas music. At any time of the year. Yes, I listen to it all year round. Can't get enough. I even started a website devoted to it. And I know there must be others like me out there. Christmas music is about winter, and nostalgia. It's an aural blanket, a cup of sonic cocoa on a cold day, but also it brings people together as one. McDonald's, thanks!!!!

October 28 2011 at 9:13 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Suzanne

I think I'm sick of the whole Christmas season. Every year it begins earlier. Advertising has ruined it for me. I used to look forward to getting out the Christmas decorations. Now I have to look at them in the middle of October, it's not special anymore.

October 28 2011 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply