Tips on Getting Hired for the Holidays

Retailers nationwide are expected to hire up to 500,000 seasonal workers this year, according to the National Retail Federation. But with today's ongoing high unemployment, expect stiff competition for those jobs at the mall. DailyFinance's Laura Rowley offers tips on who else may be hiring for the holidays, and how to land one of those jobs.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

rgsafety

If you want a real lousy seasonal job...get hired by UPS as a Driver's Helper. The pay is $9 an hour and your shift can be as short as 2 hours. They expect you to literally run up to porches, yell UPS and drop the packages. If you actually wait for a person to answer a door bell, you'll be disciplined. They pay their full timers well, but they still treat them like crap, so you can imagine how they treat the people they hire to work for 5 or six weeks. You won't know if you are working on any given day until around 9 or ten and if you can't make the shift, you're put to the bottom of the list and never called again. The uniform they supply yo you, is a stupidly heavy, bulky over-you-head thing that will cause you to sweat a river, even on the coldest days. If you want a hat, gloves pants or anything else, you're out of luck. I lasted 3 weeks, but after I was called at 10 AM to work 20 miles from my home and then told that the shift was to be less than two hours long, I quit. I was suppose to be working near where I lived, but that only happened once.

October 17 2011 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SUE

Small business don't hire "holiday help" to stuff envelopes and mail cards. They just heap that work onto their regular workers at no extra pay.

October 17 2011 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bestxpress

Unless we quit sending our jobs overseas and start placing a tariff on cheap foreign imports we will never sea a middle class in this country again...

Best Dental
no deductible-no annual limits
-visit shermanoffice

October 16 2011 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Trudy Marie

They don't want you if you are 59---trust me I get rejected every season and I am even willing to work THIRD SHIFT with a lifetime of experience under my belt. Bottom line----they want to pay the LEAST AMOUNT per hour they can so they hire HIGH SCHOOL teens....REMEMBER YOU GREEDY CORPORATIONS...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

October 16 2011 at 3:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Trudy Marie's comment
Mom

I hear you TM! But it's not just 59 I'm 52 now but tried to make extra income a few years back so I was still in my late 40's. Nada. Never was called, I even think one of the kiosks gave me an immediate decline. I have over 25yrs of accounting experience and I was DECLINED! Your so right! They would rather pay a youngster so they can take advantage of their inexperience. Then they in return treat customers like dirt. I tell you some of the kids that work behind the cash register could use a lesson or two on courtesy and social etiquette. They really try my patience sometimes! At 59 I am more than certain you're worth a million!

October 17 2011 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bngrams1

wHEN YOU NEED TO WORK TO PAY THE BILLS AND BUY FOOD FOR YOUR FAMILY..YOU WILL AND HAVE TO TAKE ANY JOB..NOTHING LASTS FOREVER..IT'S CALLED EXPERIENCE..ANY JOB WILL HELP YOU IN THE FUTURE AND IN THE MEANTIME YOU ARE LEARNING WHAT IT TAKES IN THE WORK FORCE...ANY JOB THAT IS HONEST AND HELPS YOUR FAMILY IS A GOOD START..IF YOU ARE SINGLE - THEN YOU MAY HAVE A CHOICE...IT MAKES YOU SMARTER ABOUT THIS WORLD AND THE JOB MARKET...GOOD LUCK TO ALL...

October 16 2011 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis John

I have a simple solution here! Start your own business by any and all means necessary in order to live well, unless you're into putting up with bosses who b.s. all the fkn. time instead of really caring about their employees!!

October 15 2011 at 8:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dabrownman

Dress up like Santa, go into Macy's and stand in their hiring application line?

October 15 2011 at 10:31 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dabrownman's comment
ED

Dress up like Santa and just walk around. People will feel sorry for ya, especially if you are skinny...LOL

October 15 2011 at 6:25 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
desiree3181

This article is a bunch of crap. If people want to work 10 hours a week for minimum wage, go ahead and do it. And if you want to work on holidays like Thanksgiving, go apply for those jobs. It's basically the fact that they work you like a dog and then once the holiday is over, YOU'RE FIRED. I went on job interviews last year and they wanted me to work 2 jobs (the one that I had at the time that I was trying to get out of) and that one if I wanted that job. I told them no thanks.

October 14 2011 at 9:42 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
georgementor

You idiots voted for that jerk, so quit whining. Blame somebody else, he does

October 14 2011 at 5:23 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to georgementor's comment
B

Yea, everyone but you voted for him...right???? NOT!!!

October 15 2011 at 7:43 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
dabrownman

Obama's new campaign slogan - Hire or no Holiday in Hawaii. Just kidding. He will still take 2 fully loaded 747's there again, claim he was victimized and his Holiday ruined by tea drinkers.

October 14 2011 at 4:10 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply