A reader named Crystal wanted to increase the limit on her credit card, but got denied -- and she found the explanation the card company gave her cryptic. DailyFinance's Laura Rowley decodes the message and offers tips on accessing credit.

Do you have a financial question? Email me at laura.rowley@teamaol.com.

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

peachesweetspies

Listen to this! Macys combined with American Express a few years ago. On my retail side card with Macys i have a $200 limit. AMX gave me a MUCH HIGHER limit... ( dont want to say online) I asked Macys to increase my limit by a smaller amount than AMEX, they said no. And gave me some BS answer as to why not. The real reason was that I had a credit alert for people connecting to my credit bureau reports. It didnt go thru, I dont have bad credit or anything.. but instead of telling me that, so it could be corrected. Macys just declined me. Amex is a much better credit card company than Macys.. They put the increase thru right away. The two companies contradict each other.

October 17 2011 at 10:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cool

80% accuracy in trading, no joke! Come check us out! 1 week for free. Google oil trading academy.

October 14 2011 at 11:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Formaini

Gee 'Crystal' - GOOGLEing "Credit Limit Increase Methods" too tough for you - or did you fear breaking a nail? Geeze.....

October 14 2011 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PH237

I only spend on my credit card what I can pay off each month. I am getting ready to buy a new car cash because I kept my current car for 10 years and was saving so I can by my new one cash. I have no mortgage on my house and I am only 46 years.

October 14 2011 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
happyloner128

Credit cards are the fuel igniting the engine of cyber criminals. Read my posting below to find out why. It's best to stay away from plastic. Use cash as much as possible.

October 14 2011 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
happyloner128

Stay away from credit cards. The stupid bitch probably overspend her salaries and extend too much credit. Do you know what's the New American Dream? It is to be debt free for the rest of your life. The Obama Administration will never achieve that for a long time.

It's best to control your spending, manage your cash flow, and stay off debt.

October 14 2011 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
happyloner128

Next time you want to buy a product online, like books, DVDs, computers, and clothing. Ask yourself one simple question:

"Do you want your credit card (or PayPal Identity) details sent to many email addresses around the world in a matter of seconds?"

I am very concerned citizen who doesn't want to see other people's hard-earned money goes into the hands of unscrupulous & unlawful people using fraud credit cards. Before you enter your payment details on any internet shopping sites, please note that your credit card details can be sent to any email addresses using simple webpage techniques. These techniques can very easily implemented by beginners …. think what advanced programmers can do with your credit card numbers.

Next time you want to buy anything online, think first … is it worth saving a few bucks buying online and risk losing your credit card identity to internet criminals?

Stop using internet shopping now! Your identity is at risk!

October 14 2011 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dirkdaring

How stupid is this blond. You know who needs a credit card? No one. She actually advocates opening ANOTHER card. Do not listen to this fool.

October 14 2011 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamestcap

Credit card companies are a strange lot. A woman I know got a credit card offer from a company she already had a card with. The offer adveritised a minimum $5,000 limit, so perhaps thinking to simplify matters she asked that her present limit be raised to that amount. Nope, sorry we can't do that. You haven't had the card long enough.

October 12 2011 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
h20 chaser

@kernall
Actually, the best use of your money is to use the credit card but be sure to pay it off monthly.
It works for you several ways. Lets you use their money for free up to 30 days, doubles the warranty in most cases, allows you dispute the charge if you happen to get a product that is not as advertised. Then there is the reward points. But do not use a credit card that requires an annual fee. Reward points do not add up enough for that. LOL

October 12 2011 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply