common financial scamsEven as millions of Americans struggle every day to make ends meet, scammers are plotting all sorts of sneaky ways to rob them of their money. In the last five years, 6.1 million consumer complaints have been tracked by the Consumer Sentinel Network, a clearinghouse for complaints filed with various agencies. In 2010 alone, Americans reported losing more than $1.7 billion due to consumer fraud.

When it comes to these cons, the best offense is a smart defense. Educate yourself about current scams and how to recognize them. It's usually much easier to walk away from an opportunity that sounds too good to be true than it is to recover your money once you've lost it. To that end, this slideshow summarizes the most common scams, and provides links so you can learn more about them.

Loren Berlin is a reporter with the AOL Huffington Post Media Group. She can be reached at loren.berlin@teamaol.com, on Twitter at @LorenBerlin, and on Facebook.

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

How to Buy a Car

How to get the best deal and buy a car with confidence.

Cool

Trading room making $10,000 per month, with 1 week free trial. Come check us out google oil trading academy.

October 14 2011 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
S.A.

Too send money--click my link for my pay pal info!

October 11 2011 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

Good night evan. Alah bless.

October 11 2011 at 8:42 PM Report abuse -7 rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

evan, I see you are lurking. Show yourself.

October 11 2011 at 8:40 PM Report abuse -9 rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

Good night darkcloud. Take care.

October 11 2011 at 8:38 PM Report abuse -10 rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

Vote for me 'cause I'm your friend. I'll try that Sociall-ism again. I'll spend until we're out of debt and then I'll spend some more, you bet. I am just a spending fool. Vote for me 'cause idiots rule...........................guess who.

October 11 2011 at 8:17 PM Report abuse -7 rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

The teacher who took small children to the Wall Street protest should be fired. What did the kiddies learn? Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme.

October 11 2011 at 6:39 PM Report abuse -6 rate up rate down Reply
someoneole

darkcloudcoward2

How about Hillary Clintoon signing the Small arms treaty to give internationals the right to come into America and confiscate weapons...........the M-1 rifle has been banned already since Obama took office. Obama is a no good Islamic POS

You are entitle to your opinion, but remember that an opinion is like a rectum; we have all got one.
you are entitle

October 11 2011 at 4:33 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
someoneole

But inducting Communism with the Nut in the White House doesn't cut it.

that is going a bit over board; just what will the other side do?

October 11 2011 at 4:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
someoneole

darkcloudcoward2

You responded to the post you tell me !Were you shooting your mouth off at the wrong time as usual ?

You mean to say that you don't like to snap your jaws.

October 11 2011 at 3:55 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply