A New York mom with two kids in college and income worries wants to relaunch her old catering business -- which would help the family budget and let her resume a career she loved. Where can she find the start-up money? DailyFinance's Laura Rowley whips up a few ideas.

Intro to Retirement

Get started early planning for your long term future.

Advice for Recent College Grads

Prepare yourself for the "real world".

PATTI

This is not a scam and nobody is looking for a hand out! just maybe some advise on the best way to get started. Thats the problem in the world today, mean angry people always willing to put someone down! You should be ashamed of yourselves!

October 05 2011 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEVE

I like how people think it's so easy to get a loan nowadays, I've tried getting a loan for 3 years now. credit union, loan offices and regular banks and nobody will give me a loan. and when you have bills that keep piling up, u cant save any money. and banks don't see that most people like me who need to get caught up on bills cant because of rising insurance costs, food and gas i never have that much extra money, so my bills get a month behind every now and then and if i could just get a loan to pay off all my debt and get caught back up my credit would go back up but banks dont look at it like that they just think u will get right back in debt with another bill. and thats why people end up filing for bankruptcy and end up homeless because nobody is willing to help anyone anymore it's all a blame game.

October 05 2011 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jkc

It does sound selfish of her..afterall in this economy many people are struggling. Why can't she go to a local bank for a loan or any of a number of places to figure out how to start her business w/o begging for money.
Like this article highlights, I would like to start my own business & have done a number of things to prepare for the time I can get a loan to do so. I agree w/other readers, it sounds like a major scam. When she doesn't succeed, oh, well - too bad, so sad, you're out the money.

October 05 2011 at 4:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rini1946

Half of these post sound more like scams than any thing else

October 05 2011 at 3:08 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Sam Curcuro

Good Luck Patti. Your in the same canoe as plenty of others! Catering is a tough nut and lots of work!

October 05 2011 at 2:20 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Dr. Cal Harris

What nonsense. I have started a couple of small ad one large business and can tell you that there is no free lunch and there is absolutely no bank or organization that is out there to help you. If something is advertised as free, believe me you can't afford it.

Folks that want to start a business should be prepared to NOT get paid for at least six months while the business grows. Livin those six months on credit is suicidal for the business. If you have a solid business plan and take time to prepare for the six-month financial draught, then you might make it.

Banks..... yeah, right. Banks will lend you all of the money you want at good terms as long as you don't need it. The moment you show any sign of hunger, they back off. When I was a kid in the 40s and 50s the bankers were the pillars of the community and were there with a vested interest is seeing their small towns grow. Do you think that is their interest today.

Bottomline is that there is no free lunch in business and you shouldn't count on anyone but yourself to make it work.

October 05 2011 at 1:07 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
richman99

Great.... just what we need, another person looking for a free hand out!! That should really help to reduce our National Deficit!!

October 04 2011 at 11:46 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Consuelo

Why borrow? You'll be in the hole to start.
Paula Deen started as the Bag Lady, making a sandwiches that her young sons would deliver. College age children should be able to pull their own weight. Time for the family to pull together.

October 04 2011 at 9:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Consuelo's comment
Dr. Cal Harris

Absolutely. That is what I was trying to say in my posting but you did it much more efficiently.

October 05 2011 at 1:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harbourtrading

funny!

October 04 2011 at 9:26 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Sylvie

Contact your local chapter of SCORE for free advice and leads on possible start-up financing.

October 04 2011 at 8:57 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply