- Days left

Four Out of Five of Under-30s on Obama's Tax-the-Rich Plan: 'Yes He Should'

millennials support Obama's Tax-the-Rich Plan Even if you find the slew of polls on President Obama's latest tax proposal a little taxing to keep track of, we thought we'd share another. We're just the messenger, OK?

A prominent demographic has weighed in extremely positively on the Buffett Rule, the administration's Warren Buffett-inspired proposal to tax millionaires an extra $1.5 trillion over the next 10 years. According to a new survey, 80% of Americans under the age of 30 strongly support the move. Less than 9% oppose it, and 7% favor a 15 percent flat tax on all businesses and individuals to cut down on loopholes.

More than 5,000 respondents clicked into the Facebook survey, conducted by Our Time, a nonprofit advocacy group for Americans under 30. This youngest voting constituency has the smallest number of millionaires.

"We have to put more into the system to minimize our deficit," said Our Time President Matthew Segal.

America at large apparently also agrees that it's time the rich paid a greater share of what's due to Uncle Sam, though not quite as overwhelmingly. According to a Gallup Poll this week, 70% give the thumbs-up to raising taxes on some corporations, and 66% approved of increasing taxes on individuals earning $200,000 or more annually and families that earned a combined minimum of $250,000.

The Hollywood crowd seems willing to shell out more, too -- at least from a recent small sampling.

Here's the equal-time part: Republicans say the proposal amounts to class warfare and robs wealthy Americans of their job-creating powers.

Now let's take a breath and wait for the next poll.

Basics Of The Stock Market

Stock Market 101 - everything you need to know but were afraid to ask!

Timing Your Spending

How to pay less by changing when you purchase.

TurboTax Articles

Tax Tips for the Blind

Anyone whose field of vision falls at or below 20 degrees, who wears corrective glasses but whose vision is 20/200 or less in his best eye, or who has no eyesight at all, meets the legal definition of being blind and is eligible for certain tax deductions.

What is Form 4255: Recapture of Investment Credit?

When is a tax credit not a tax credit? When the IRS takes it back. If you're in the situation where you have to file IRS Form 4255, you might have to pay back a tax credit you've earned in prior years. This process, known as recapture, occurs if you claim a credit -- in this case, a credit for a specific type of business investment -- and then no longer qualify for that credit.

The Most Important Tax Forms for ALEs (Applicable Large Employers)

In 2015, some parts of the Affordable Care Act specifically apply to businesses, in particular, large employers. The Employer Shared Responsibility provisions affect companies with 50 or more full-time employees or an equivalent of part-time or seasonal workers. These companies are called Applicable Large Employers, or ALEs. 2015 is considered a transition year as everyone gets used to the new normal for workplace health plans.

Employer Sponsored Health Coverage Explained

The Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, is simpler than some people may give it credit for. The basic rule to remember is that everyone must carry Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC) or pay a penalty. Employers with 50 full-time employees or more are obligated to sponsor plans for their workers to help them meet this requirement.

How to Report RSUs or Stock Grants on Your Tax Return

Restricted stock units (RSUs) and stock grants are often used by companies to reward their employees with an investment in the company rather than with cash. As the name implies, RSUs have rules as to when they can be sold. Stock grants often carry restrictions as well. How your stock grant is delivered to you, and whether or not it is vested, are the key factors when determining tax treatment.

eldo72

THAT'S BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A CLUE ABOUT ECONOMICS, BESIDES OTHER THINGS,

October 04 2011 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jkr287

After 66 yrs of tax increases, STOP! For all those years, 26 jobs and 4 businesses I started it was
always hard to meet the nut. Working 60hrs/wk, taking only 1 week or two vacation and trying to raise
a family wasn't easy. Not until 70 was I able to retire. STOP the nonsense. It's time for a "Flat tAX".

The younger generations need "freedom" to grow and earn whatever amount their skill, talents, abilities
allow. A "Fair Tax" will allow that, create a tremendous amount of JOBS and once again make this Country
a worldclass leader and not a follower.

To start a business today (under even more Gov't regulations and mandates) is not only risky but comparable to suicide by choise.

Jack

September 27 2011 at 11:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jeanne Raynes

What I would like someone to explain is "when did we return to "Victorian England" and the Class system? Why do the filthy rich expect to stand on the backs of the "middle class"? The people who do all the work and most of the tax paying, The down-trodden poor, who struggle to live any kind of a life, depend on the help of stranger's who give and also support their families, How many millions of dollars can one family spend in a life time, and why are they so opposed to paying their fair share? Where is all this going?

September 27 2011 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeanne Raynes's comment
sal8110

Jeanne, I hate to tell you, but the top 5% pay 60% of all taxes. The bottom 50% pay Zero. The middle class is not the ones paying, unless you count $100,000 plus as middle class

September 29 2011 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bdavidmb

The weathly do pay a heavy tax burden, people manipulate the information to suit their needs. That having been said, does anyone really need 200 million a year net to live on. Is it not reasonable, given the times, they should chip in more. Frankly, they,ll never know it was gone. I am a staunch republican, want a smaller government, do not believe that the government should redistribute wealth, but at the moment, even the very rich.... could be very broke if all hell breaks lose, so for no other reason than self preservation, perhaps they can chip in a little more.

September 27 2011 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

reply to (waywongwoo's coment 09/25/2011 Re.founding U.S.A.). You do miss the point completely. The early setlers who migrated to America were predominately Christian people. They came because the were being persecuted in thier countries. It is not that the constitution does not mention that Anerica was founded a Christian nation, but the founders of America were predominately by Christian people. Bear witmess to the killing of the so called witches who were killed and burned at the stake. This is early history of America.

September 27 2011 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex

You know I'm sick of people telling me because I'm young I don't know what it's like to work for my money. I have spent years busting my butt at minimum wage jobs to barely pay for my apartment. I do not receive any federal assistance and I pay my taxes every year, but obviously it's not going to be that much.
Obama isn't trying to make the wealthy support the poor, he's trying to make them pay an equal percentage of their income by removing several loopholes and tax breaks that are in place. Equality is only fair. If I had a enough money to run a business, I would expect to pay equal taxes.

September 27 2011 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darold LeBouef

You have to understand these youg people have not out and found a job worked raised 5 kids send to school and made insurance payments paided a house note to cover yourself and family. To pay a car note and truck note and insurance for both. It took a lots of money, so I worked. I educated my self got a good job that paid good money and the more I worked the more money I made. While doing so I dared someone to stand in my face and tell me I should share half of check with them. I promise they would not let the no that I would give them. Like a bruise mark acrossed the chin. It's mine I worked for it so go some and earn your own.

September 26 2011 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Darold LeBouef's comment
Jeanne Raynes

It doesn't sound like you educated yourself very well. I don't understand most of what you say. I'm not sure which point you are trying to make. All hard working people in America are obviously entitled to the money they earn, but on the other hand, they need to pay the same taxes as any other person is required to pay. The argument is that you should not pay a higher percentage of tax than some multimillionaire who makes 40 times what you make, and does none of the work. These millionaires simply go to there executive offices and collect on the work their underpaid employees do.

September 27 2011 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jeanne Raynes's comment
sal8110

Jeanne- Another problem. If you took ALL the Wealth from ALL of the Billionares, it amounts to $2 Trillion. That lasts our spend thrift Government 6 months. Then what happens????? We have a bigger problem then you realize........

September 29 2011 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
bopaan

Obama is taking lessons right out of FDRs play book. He knows even with higher taxes on th rich they will not bring in revenues needed for his socialist programs. But if poor and middle-class Americans are going to be asked, eventually, to pay higher taxes in support of progressive government, they need assurance that rich people are paying their fair share, too.

September 26 2011 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janswizz

It sure looks like Obama is rallying his supporters by demonizing the same rich people that helped him win the election in 2008. Looks like his rock star status has lost it's glitter.You can't win both sides Mr. Obama.

September 26 2011 at 8:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
john&jan

the rich is not the problem .the leaders of our country is the problem.

September 26 2011 at 7:52 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply