Moshi MonstersLet the holiday games begin.

Toys R Us took the wrapping paper off its strategy to "win" this Christmas season this week, unveiling a raft of exclusive merchandise, such as new toy line Moshi Monsters, based on the online children's game, and a beefed up e-commerce operation to better serve shoppers, executives said at a press preview event in New York City.

The giant toy chain is banking on exclusive products and off-beat merchandise -- the results of its merchants' year-long search around the globe -- to "set us apart and help us win with consumers this holiday season," Jerry Storch, chairman and chief executive officer of Toys R Us, said during the press reception.

The retailer's other exclusive products include Air Swimmers flying fish balloons and Trash Pack, toy garbage trucks.

And that's not all: It will also be playing up specialty products, such as Uglydolls, that -- while not exclusives -- aren't sold at other mass market toy retailers.

To get the out message about its proprietary merchandise this holiday season, the retailer will roll out its first-ever catalog featuring "Only at Toys R Us" merchandise this weekend, showcasing nearly 350 exclusive items, including NERF N-Strike Sonic Series Blasters from Hasbro and the City Central Train Table from Imaginarium. The catalog will also call out big savings and feature 15 coupons. Toys R Us will continue to spread the word with a series of television commercials this fall.

The company is ramping up its product delivery engine to meet the demands of the biggest shopping months of the year.

To that end, it's expanding the "Buy Online, Pick Up In Store" program, and in October, the retailer will tap merchandise from its network of stores via a "Ship from Store" program designed to help fulfill Toysrus.com and Babiesrus.com orders.

In a bid to support its growing online arm -- Toys R Us' e-commerce business grew 30% from 2009 to 2010 -- the chain opened a new distribution facility in July to expedite deliveries to shoppers on the West Coast.

And in the mobile-commerce space, the retailer's fastest growing selling channel, consumers can shop at Toys R Us' mobile enabled e-commerce site on their smartphones, or use the Toys R Us apps for the iPhone, iPad or Blackberry.

Investing in Startups

The lucrative and risky world of startups.

What is Short Selling?

Make a profit when stocks prices fall.

Duane

Wal-Mart will probably buy TRU just to shut them down.

September 19 2011 at 4:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Duane's comment
tazswild

mm maybe

September 19 2011 at 5:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidp

Golly, you want the cheapest price Walmart has to offer with a "Made In America" sticker while having a forever return policy . . . Walmart has spoiled America and like a spoiled child, life of entitlement expectation is a life of disappointment. You can't make stuff that cheap here in the good ol' USA where everyone expects two large flat screen TV's and wireless service for all while making $20+/hr on a HS education at Walmart prices. That world does not exist and YOU, the great unwashed, don't deserve it. Butchie Bob, for all you honest intentions, there are a hundred, if not a thousand, others out there for every one of you, trying to rip retailers off at the return counter and the retailers must protect themselves at the small cost of a few honest folks. I am ten years removed from this industry and quite frankly, the retail industry SUCKS due to the folks who expect the world for free. YOU CANNOT GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING . . . go visit a Walmart hating site or, frankly, just be happy we can get the sophisticated goods we get at so many retailers for so little dollars at any corner shopping center and then bitch about it freely to the rest of the world. We are blessed beyond belief and yet, we are not thankful . . .

September 18 2011 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Butchie Bob

Buyers beware of Toys R Us. They will do whatever they can to take your money. I recently purchased several items from one of their stores and needed to return one for a refund. After I returned that item, I thought I was going to get a cash refund, but I was very wrong in my assumption. Even aftrer I returned the item exactly as they had stated, the best they would do for me was to issue me a gift card. And 'Yes," my check has cleared the bank. This action forced me to buy items that I didn't want or need and left me with a remaining balance that I will probably never use. What does this say about their business practice, they will make a profit regardless of how they get it , legal or illegal. If you shop at one of their stores they will take you to the cleaners if you give them a chance. If you and I were to do something like what they did to me, we would be arrested for fraud and taken to jail. FYI: I contacted both my local store and their corporate office and got the same answer: No refund period! My strongest advice to anyone who may want to shop at Toys'R'Us is "Buyer Beware."

September 18 2011 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patsunikbutik

So happy to see these 'creative juices' flowing freely. It's time to get creative in ALL good business endeavors, & if you cannot find a business, with which to incorporate into your life, find your best 'gifts' & CREATE one !

September 18 2011 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kkrein3

perhaps more than two open cash registers may be the way to go?

September 18 2011 at 5:59 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
tbonejg1970

Dam are they still in business

September 17 2011 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xmas911

There return policy is terrible. I would never purchase another item at Toys R Us. You are losing good customers.

September 17 2011 at 8:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Frank S. Pedigo

They could advertise a combo package for their toys . It could be something like ; Our Chinese made toys are so full of lead that you can make fishing sinkers with them after your child is commited to the hospital for lead poisoning . Or how about ;Toys are us killing your kids for a profit . Makes you proud to be an American just knowing that not only did you sell out you job to China but now your killing your kids to make them rich .

September 17 2011 at 7:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lil Eazy Beyatch

Toys R Us is so overpriced its not going to matter what they do, everyones shopping at Walmart.

September 17 2011 at 11:50 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Tom

From a former employee who left the company on good terms - they sell junk!!!

September 17 2011 at 10:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply