As Katia Moves Toward Gulf of Mexico, Oil Drillers Shutter Some Rigs

Katia, still a tropical depression, is slowly moving toward the Gulf of Mexico, and several oil firms have begun to pull workers from offshore rigs. There is some chance that the storm could further disrupt production, and, if it moves toward the Texas coast, refineries could be shuttered as well.

The most pressing question for consumers is whether a storm that closes a great deal of capacity in the Gulf will raise gas prices, as Hurricane Irene did.

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement issued a report on Thursday that said: "Based on data from offshore operator reports submitted as of 11:30 a.m. CDT today, personnel have been evacuated from a total of 9 production platforms, equivalent to 1.6 percent of the 617 manned platforms in the Gulf of Mexico." About 6% of oil production is the Gulf is now offline.

The reaction may be premature, but the price of WTI crude has moved higher from about $86.50 to over $88 in the last two days. The price is bound to rise still further if the storm's threat to the Gulf increases, if history is any indication.

Hurricane

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

Maria Jose Tobar

Wow, hurricanes really get in the way of everything, don't they? I'm really glad they shut them down, though. Can you imagine all the oil that would be lost and that would kill animals and plants? I think just water will do enough damage! http://www.ppipowersystems.com

February 07 2014 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mansonjak

That is truly unfortunate that that would even happen and especially when they were trying to do something important and trying to do their jobs. When things like this happen to companies it can really set them back and cause them to lose money too. I hope that it did not cost them too much money and no one was too badly injured. Thanks for sharing this great article with all of us.
Jak Manson | http://www.lehmanawning.net/canvas-awnings-services

February 05 2014 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dabrownman

Does he mean the TS Lee which was in the gulf yesterday? Maybe he meant the Gulf of Aqaba?

September 04 2011 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michelebachmann8

IM STILL MAD AT CHRIS WALLACE OVER THERE AT FOX NEWS, HE CALLED ME A FLAKE! I GUESS US TEA PARTY FOLKS ARE A BUNCH OF FROSTED FLAKES................HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELVIS!!!!!!!!!

September 04 2011 at 12:43 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
sdodge4574

Why do all of the readers know where Katia is, but the reporter, DOUGLAS MCINTYRE, doesn't know? What world is he in? Come back to earth, Doug!

September 03 2011 at 10:48 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
barryaclarke

Someone is not paying attention to what direction this storm is moving. It does not appear to be a threat to the Golf.....

September 03 2011 at 2:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

This is all hype and no substance.............like Obama.

September 02 2011 at 9:15 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
sleezyscoundrel

I was going to comment on the inaccuracy of the article, but some have already done so. I offer a tip o' the cap.
It's Lee in the Gulf. Katia is many days away and not expected to enter the area.

September 02 2011 at 4:04 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Bud

Big oil is so crooked...My Dad, Willard Berry Day, was born into a poor sharecropper’s family during the depression in the 1930’ s. He worked the cotton fields north of Spur TX. After a long hot day (sun up to sun down) picking cotton, he’d rush in, eat dinner (usually cornbread and milk, if there was even that), then walked 9 miles in the pitch black night to court my Mother, (Helen Elizabeth Copeland). He loved her so much. They married and started a family in 1952. My dad purchased a city lot, (lot #3 block #15) which at that time had a house on it. It was his way showing my Mother he could provide for her and his family. My Mother died from a sudden heart attack at the young age of 21. Leaving my Dad to care for 3 young kids on his own (which was unheard of in those days, usually the state would step in and take the children), but he promised my Mother he’d keep us kids together no matter what if anything ever happened to her. With his life and dreams now shattered, and his first true love dead. Dad tried to move on, not looking back because of the heartache, sad and painful memories. I guess that’s was why I’d never heard him talk about the city lot, it was too painful.

My dad passed away in 2009.In 2007 He learned he had cancer in his brain, lungs, bones, all thru his body He had a very painful death, confused from the cancer that had taken over his whole body. My Step mom called me about 2 weeks after we laid Dad to rest, wanting to know if I wanted his land in Spur TX. I was taken totally by surprise because of my 53 yrs of life I had NEVER heard of this city lot. We paid the back taxes to get the lot deeded into my name. My Annte explained to me it was not only the house/land where I was conceived and born; it was also where my Mother’s soul left this world to heaven. The house that once stood on this lot was in the one and few pictures I have of my real Mother. You can imagine my surprise and how thrilled I was. I started thinking about finely, I had a place to call home and with very, very special ties to me now that my Dad and Mother are both gone. I even checked into being cremated and put at my mother’s feet in her grave plot in Dickens TX. With plans now to move back to my roots and live out my life where it began in the small town of Spur TX.

July 4th 2011, I went to my yearly family reunion in Spur TX... The first place I went to was my city lot. Lot #3 , in Block #15, Miller St. As I rounded the corner I saw oil wells across the street from my place. Not knowing just what to make of this, for sure I’d have to rethink about retiring here. With the wells so close and the smell in the air so bad, my eyes begin to water. (Maybe from the oil fumes, maybe from sadness I felt in my heart). Upon arriving ,and all thru the family reunion I was approached by different family members telling me about royalties, this was the first I’d heard of any of this. After research at the Dickens county court house I learned I had the mineral rights and that Gunn Oil of Wichita Falls was the drillers of the wells. I approached Gunn oil about the lease and royalties of my city lot. I was informed by a Gunn oil rep that Yes my land is in this area and they tried to get in touch with my dad about a lease in 2007 and again in 2008 without any results (when dad was so sick, dealing with cancer, and in and out of the hospital). And that Rule 37 gives them right to take what they want. Now it seems to me with wells so close together that Gunn oil is taking the oil from under my land (Its minerals). I believe they call it pooling. Either way you look at it Gunn oil is stealing froma dead man and his family. They may have got all their ducks in a row as far as drilling, I’s dotted and t’s crossed, but they sure fell short of what is moral and decent. After my dealings with Gunn Oil and research on mineral rights. They sure make JR Ewing look like a saint, guess it’s a oilfield business thing. I’ve gone too far now and all caught up in this to just let it go, I’am not whipped ,looks like I’ll fight this injustice til my last breath.

September 02 2011 at 4:03 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
dukewoody

Maybe they've moved the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean, just off our Eastern Seaboard.

September 02 2011 at 3:45 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply