Sometimes to move forward, you have to move. As summer's end approaches, many of this spring's college graduates are finding that they have yet to launch -- no job, no apartment, and no obvious prospects. And in the face of that, some are considering a potential Plan B -- relocating to someplace where the streets are paved with a bit more possibility.

For those willing to move in the hopes of getting the employment party started, the fourth annual Top 10 Best Cities for Recent College Graduates from Apartments.com and CareerRookie.com, (CareerBuilder.com's college job search website), offers some clues about where to search for opportunities.

Would you move to launch your career?
Yes1088 (56.5%)
No80 (4.2%)
Maybe143 (7.4%)
I already have.290 (15.1%)
If the money was great.227 (11.8%)
I don\'t think I could leave my family and friends.97 (5.0%)
The list is based on the ranking of the U.S. cities with the highest concentration of people ages 20-24, an inventory of jobs requiring less than one year of experience, and the average cost of rent for a one-bedroom apartment.

"There are almost three times as many renters moving for new job opportunities this year than in 2010, according to our annual moving survey," said Tammy Kotula, public relations and promotions manager at Apartments.com, in a prepared statement. "This tells us that the economy is improving, but people are relocating as a result. Because this adds more pressure on new grads to find the right place at the right price, we issued our list as a resource to help them make informed decisions on the best places to live based on job availability and cost of living."

The good news too, according to CareerBuilder.com, is that 46% of employers plan to hire recent college graduates this year -- a hair better last year, when 44% said they planned to hire recent grads.

Here's a rundown of the best metropolitan areas to get your start.

Best cities - one bedroom apartments

How to Buy a Car

How to get the best deal and buy a car with confidence.

Goal Setting

Want to succeed? Then you need goals!

purples1958

Both of my children, after graduating from TCU, have relocated to Northern Virginia in search of a job. My daughter (TCU `09) moved to Virginia in May 2010 and didn't land a "real job" until March 2011. In the interim, she lived with family and got signed up for a "Nanny Register" and looked after other people's kids. My son (TCU `11), went to Northern Virginia in June 2011 and is working as a bartender on one of the Potomac River Dinner Cruise boats. He went on Craig's List and found some one advertising for a roommate to share an apartment in Alexandria. He is paying $700 per month to share a 2BR apartment with another guy.

August 31 2011 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to purples1958's comment
daballofire

Virginia was creating huge amounts of federal worker jobs before folks got fed up with the government fleecing the taxpayer to feather their own beds with huge taxpayer funded' retirement plans starting after 20 years of work, huge salaries, free health care adn other benefits no other American taxpayer could ever hope to get,

August 31 2011 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dabrownman

With Obama as president and the Dems controlling the Senate, I would say the absolute best place for college grads to launch their careers is the place that is closest to their parents basement.

August 31 2011 at 6:04 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ohdarrin

bullshit list. where's Columbus, OH??? that should be right at the top. tons of young folks, cheap rent, and lots of jobs.

August 31 2011 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
captmerit

goodluck paying bacl all those overpriced loans

August 31 2011 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jersey Tom

CLEVELAND? I'm sorry, no. I made that mistake of going to Northeast Ohio right after college for a job. Good pay doesn't make up for an economically depressed area that's cold, grey, and/or damp for a huge chunk of the year.

August 31 2011 at 7:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jon

Republicans don't like this article because it actually results in some degree of optimism about the future. They'd prefer the economy go to hell so they can blame Obama. What a marvelous strategy and wonderful group of people.

August 30 2011 at 11:24 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to jon's comment
erinekelly1

is this a joke?! Most of the recent grads I know ...myself included dont even make enough to be approved to rent one of these ONE BEDROOMS!! What a waste of time!! and good luck finding a job in cleveland...if you cant find a job the cheap rent isnt going to help you much!

August 30 2011 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shiloh1388

I thought the cost of the apartments was high. There are many American cities where you can rent a lovely one bedroom apartment for $350-500. Who dreamed up this nightmare list???

August 30 2011 at 10:35 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy/Iris

From Minneapolis to Houston is whereto be at this time.

August 30 2011 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

I graduated from college when Carter was President. Lucky for me and the rest of the graduates Carter only served one term. You all better get out and vote Obama out of office. I was being paid 12M a year in a sales job. Carter lost the election and I made 30M the next year. The article reminds me that the majority of the press are living in the same dream world that the Obama administration lives in.

August 30 2011 at 8:09 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply