Virtual Credit Card Numbers: Extra Safety or False Security for Online Shoppers?

With all the hackers in the headlines -- the Sony PlayStation hacking fiasco (SNE) in April, then Tuesday's threat to "kill" Facebook -- you might be starting to feel a bit more hesitant to offer up your sacred credit-card digits online. One secret weapon, of sorts, aims to keep identity thieves at bay: virtual credit-card numbers.

Many major banks and credit institutions offer some version of this free service. Virtual credit card numbers aren't new, but they remain under the radar for many consumers. Are they the best-kept secret in online shopping, or is the security they promise just an illusion?

Here's what you need to know to decide for yourself:

How They Work

If your card issuer offers virtual credit-card numbers, all you have to do is log in to your account and follow the steps to generate a new virtual number each time you shop online.

After you apply -- and get approved -- for the program, you get an email with a virtual 16-digit card number and a virtual three-digit card-verification code that you can use in place of your bank-account or other credit-card number, says Michael Germanovsky, editor-in-chief of Credit-Land.com.

When you make a purchase, you simply use the newly generated number instead of your real account number. Each virtual account number is tied back to your actual credit-card account, so any transactions you make with the virtual numbers appear on your statement like all your other purchases, explains Beverly Harzog, credit-card expert for Credit.com.

The process varies slightly by issuer. But, generally speaking, you shop online as usual, except that you request a virtual number before checking out and use that number in place of the usual one. The virtual card numbers come with an expiration date, which -- in some cases -- you're able to choose. Some companies issue virtual numbers that can only be used once, while others allow the same number to be used multiple times at the same merchant, says Amber Stubbs, managing editor of CardRatings.com.

For a closer look at how these virtual numbers work, check out examples at Bank of America (BAC) , Citibank (C) and Discover Financial Services (DFS).

Peace of Mind -- for Free

Veteran consumer advocate Edgar Dworsky of Consumer World is a longtime fan of virtual credit-card numbers. "I use them in two situations, when dealing with an unfamiliar website and when I want to ensure that future charges -- such as a fee for another year of a particular service -- cannot be automatically charged to my card," Dworksy says. He always opts for the virtual card to expire in two months, which is the shortest period that Bank of America allows, and sets a limit no higher than the amount of the particular purchase.

"The best thing about virtual credit card numbers is that you can set the maximum credit limit, when it expires and what website it can be used on. They are useless to thieves. Well, that's the idea. But if they do get the number somehow, their actions are extremely limited -- almost impossible. In order for them to even attempt a transaction, they'd have to know where the credit-card number can be used. The purchase would also be declined if the transaction surpassed the set limit on the virtual number, and, of course, they could have long expired by the time they attempt to make a fraudulent purchase," says Howard Dvorkin, founder of Consolidated Credit.

Bob Williams, a senior vice president at a bank in Little Rock, shops online several times a week. He loves virtual credit-card numbers. "They allow me to shop online with total safety and protection of my primary credit-card number," he says. "I simply will not do business online with any other card because they don't offer this simple and safe methodology to transact business over the Internet."

For those who may not have sterling credit, no worries. "People with bad credit should know that these cards work much like any prepaid card. Good credit is not a necessity and there are no credit checks and no income verification to be had here," Germanovsky says.

Protection, but No Panacea

While virtual credit-card numbers are a great tactic to keep criminals from seeing your real account information, they aren't a panacea, Dvorkin says.

For one thing, they aren't 100% foolproof. Some customers have reported virtual-credit-card transactions that have gone through even when they've exceeded the limits the consumers have set, or when they take place well after the expiration date.

And, often, customers can only dispute statements for a limited time before they're responsible for the cost. "For people who don't pay too close attention to their credit-card statements, this could be a problem," Dvorkin says.

The bottom line is that you still need to carefully monitor your credit-card statements when you're using virtual numbers. "Virtual credit-card numbers offer an extra layer of protection, but they are not a cure-all," Stubbs says.

Nonvirtual Stumbling Blocks

The numbers can also raise stumbling blocks for customers, so it's important to think about how you use the phantom numbers. Rental-car companies, for example, want to see the card you used to reserve the car when you arrive to claim it. If you used a virtual number, it wouldn't match the number on your card, points out Linda Sherry, a spokeswoman for Consumer Action.

For additional protection, use the feature that lets you limit the amount charged. You might also want set your preferences so that all the virtual numbers are only good for one transaction unless you authorize a later expiration date, Williams advises.

Read the fine print and be aware of how long the number will be valid, particularly if you will be using the number for a recurring payment, Harzog says. Typically, the validity periods are short-lived, so if you use a virtual credit-card number to preorder products, the number could expire before the card is billed, Stubbs points out.

Know too, that these numbers can usually only be used online.

Virtual credit-card numbers have proven tricky for some business owners. " I've had some bad experiences, as a vendor, with virtual credit card numbers," says George Burke, founder and CEO of BookSwim.com, a Netflix-style book-rental service with monthly credit-card billing. "There have been instances where members have signed up with these virtual credit cards during a free trial and simply canceled that virtual number, resulting in us being unable to bill for the next month of service and them holding onto a hundred bucks worth of our inventory. We have had a pretty significant loss that was at first unexpected, but then had to be worked into our regular costs of doing business. Crazy right?"

Do You Need Double Protection?

Susan Grant, director of consumer protection for the Consumer Federation of America, isn't sure there's a compelling reason to get a virtual credit-card number. "There are strong credit card protections in place," she says. "You're only responsible for $50 if your card is stolen."

Then too, most major card issuers offer "zero liability" for online purchases. As Sherry says, "Most of the benefits are for the bank, which would be responsible for the charge if it was unauthorized or fraud."

But if you're a person who thinks safety means having both suspenders and a belt, then, yes, maybe virtual credit-card numbers are ideal for you.

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

Mc Dewey Lacapag

I have tried using virtual credit cards and it is useful and easy to use I tried verified my paypal for this and its good

January 21 2014 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Umair Aslam

Virtual Credit Card for Facebook in 5$
Virtual Credit Card for Adwords in 5$
Virtual Credit Card for Adcenter in 5$

Payment Methods We Accept

1. LR ( Liberty Reserve ) 2. Payza 3. Moneybooker

Contact Us for further details & payment ids.

Skype Id: allvccs

YIM: allvccs

October 16 2012 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kera

www.instantvirtualcards.com

Instant Virtual Credit Card

* Get your Virtual Credit Card (VCC) instantly.
* Master Card & Visa Card
* Works with any Address,country and name.
* Get Verified with Paypal.

You will get the following VCC details:
• 16 Digit Virtual Credit Card Number
• 3 Digit CVV2/CVC2 Code Number
• Expiry Date (**/****) mm/yyyy

www.instantvirtualcards.com

July 14 2012 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kera

www.instantvirtualcards.com

Instant Virtual Credit Card

* Get your Virtual Credit Card (VCC) instantly.
* Works with any Address,country and name.
* Get Verified with Paypal.

You will get the following VCC details:
• 16 Digit Virtual Credit Card Number
• 3 Digit CVV2/CVC2 Code Number
• Expiry Date (**/****) mm/yyyy

www.instantvirtualcards.com

July 14 2012 at 3:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daniel

Worldwide CVVs Shop | VERIFIED SELLER |

Hello all buyer : i'm a professional Hacker and i have for all goods good and fresh live cc my CVV are the best for you. with up to $3500 inside each of them
I'm Seller for: CC, CVV US,UK,CA, EURO,AU, Italian,Japan,France,...all cc. Paypal verify, Software Spam mail mail list,
CC fullz info, CC DOB, Dump
sell cvv.i can also Hack money to your private bank account with the bank not nowing,i can also transfer money that is up to $5,000 to your cc,visa, master card or any other card.
i can also Hack thousands of dollars to your paypal account, liberty reserve account Alert pay account or any online account.
we also teach people How to hack cc, bank transwer. western union transfer...and lot more

i don't sale my cc for $5 or $20 dollars cos am not a scam.. i work very hard to get my card..so if you are looking for cc of $20 or $30..don't contact me...

cc number|Card Exp date |cvv|Name|Mailing Address|City|State|Zip Code|phone number|email.
o
brazil .italy cc have dob..

if u interested . contact me => creditcard_shop@yahoo.com

windoow live meesenger.. creditcard_shop@hotmail.com

Yahoo messenger : creditcard_shop
emial me on. creditcard_shop@yahoo.com
.... don"t ask for free one.
* List cc i have and prices :

geria and very easy to cashout African) :
- 500$ you will have mtcn : 10000$
- 400$ you will have mtcn : 8000$
- 300$ you will have mtcn : 5500$
- 200$ you will have mtcn : 3500$
- 100$ you will have mtcn : 1500$
* Give me your western union info and payment
me fee.
ATM Skimmer Wincor Nixdorf : $ 3000
ATM Skimmer Wincor : $ 3000
ATM Skimmer Slimm : $ 3000
ATM Skimmer Slim : $ 3000
ATM Skimmer NCR : $ 3000
ATM Skimmer Diebold Opteva : $ 2500
ATM Skimmer Diebold : $ 2000
ATM Skimmer Universal : $ 4000
ATM Skimmer Small : $ 2500
Then i will do transfer’s for you, After
about 20 mins you’ll have MTCN and sender
name
add me on your yahoo messnger.. creditcard_shop
or email me. creditcard_shop@yahoo.com
DONT ASK FOR FREE TEST,PAY BEFORE SERVICE. I CHANG ANY DEAD CARD
I accept LR or WU but i only accept WU > $70 and above
- I was so happy to see you actually make more money from the business with me
Thank you all! When you trust me, work with me. And if dont trust me,dont contact me, dont waste time.
I only work with reliable buyers

Yahoo Messenger:creditcard_shop

windoow live meesenger.. creditcard_shop@hotmail.com

E-mail: creditcard_shop@yahoo.com

June 14 2012 at 6:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
butchiethecat

Has anyone had any problems with Capital One credit card? A f ew years back my credit score was down to bankruptcy.The only credit card I had was Capital One for emergenies or something I needed. I kept it. Just paying off a large charge (4grandkids bedroom sets). that took 3-4 years to pay off. When I called to get the interest rates down, they stated no. I had a set amount of money for any emergency (medical bills, sickness,etc) Paid bills off 2-3x the amt When==due & finally paid it off. I let them know where I was going to see my daughter in the AF with my 2 granddaughters.When I called to lower the interest rate they said no. Then turned around & called me at home to tell me that my limit had been changed again on the same deal from before. Is this right????

October 02 2011 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ninamm87

I just lost my hard earned money to a scam website claiming to sell virtual credit cards.
I guess he must have been doing it for years but I want to let others learn from my mistake.
The name of the website is :VCCCHEAP.COM .
The name of the person who runs the scam website is Welid Moh Ysef
I have been well played by him and hope others don't get ripped off by this scammer.
This is his liberty reserve account:U3752619 and this is the way he receives his fraudulent money.
With Liberty reserve,you cannot get a refund or place a dispute and I must say it's the perfect way for Mr SCAMMER (Welid Moh Ysef ) to scam his victims which unfortunately I am now one of.
Word of advice,don't ever think of spending a dollar on this website because you will never get anything in return.

September 18 2011 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mkmstan

cool

August 13 2011 at 10:31 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
savemycountry911

Use Paypal. They pay without giving your number out and then bill your card. Safe..........unless someone hacks into their system.

August 12 2011 at 8:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
hrv

Why do you dipsticks have to make everything political?

August 11 2011 at 11:02 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply