home daycareThe recently released Cost of Care survey from Genworth Financial looked at the average prices of home care providers, adult day health care facilities, assisted living facilities and nursing homes across the country, and unsurprisingly, found that there are staggering variations. The priciest state for nursing home care in the U.S. averages more than four times as much as the cheapest.

But low end or high end, overall, the cost of care among facility-based providers has been increasing steadily. In 2005, the median annual rate for a private nursing home was $60,225; by 2011, it had risen to $77,745.

The national median hourly rate for licensed homemaker services was $18 an hour; licensed home health aide services, $19 an hour; adult day health care, $60 a day; assisted living facility (one-bedroom/single occupancy) $3,261 a month; nursing home (semi-private), $193 a day and $213 a day for a private nursing home room.

Here's a look at the annual median cost for a private nursing home room in the 10 most and least expensive states. An interactive map at their website allows you to compare the cost of long-term care across the U.S. in several categories, (www.genworth.com/costofcare).

Most Expensive, Annually (for a Private Room at a Nursing Home):

8. Rhode Island: $105,668

8. Georgia: $63,875

9. Maine: $102,748

9. Illinois: $63,875

10. New Hampshire: $102,200

10. Alabama: $65,368

How Would You Rate Your Ability to Pay For Long-Term Care?
Great, I have savings287 (7.4%)
No problem, I have long-term care insurance992 (25.6%)
Bad, I am worried1287 (33.2%)
So-so, I'll make it somehow616 (15.9%)
I haven't thought long-term care at all.689 (17.8%)

Goal Setting

Want to succeed? Then you need goals!

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

Anne Hays Egan

Long term care is expensive, If possible, plan for potential outlays during middle age. Many adults caring for frail, elderly parents piece together options, like part time home care or moving a relative to live with them. A recent study by Home Instead found that most adult children have not planned for elder care for their parents. It's a good idea for families to discuss these issues. Resources for adults caring for their elderly parents or other loved ones. www.movingmama.net. http://movingmama.net

June 23 2012 at 9:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lina Fogarty

Nursing home? Over my dead body. Isn't it sad that we are pricing nursing homes for our elderly? Shouldn't they be with their children, in a home, living out their last years with the love of family around? What's happened to our values? Have we grown so cold and self-centered that it's a burden to care for our parents for heaven's sake? We shouldn't even be looking at the option! Unfortunately, if we are, then that really means we have not only devalued our parents in society, but we've devalued ourselves, as one day we too will be facing these issues. Don't we deserve better? I do! For heaven's sake, after raising two great kids, putting myself on the back burner for their sake, I deserve to live in peace one day. That means that I expect them to do their part, to care for me as I have cared for them. So, God willing, if it all works out, I'm at least looking forward to a room in the basement of my kid's home.

August 17 2011 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dav1934

Attention President Obama and all of the lawmakers in the two houses. you should all
Sit back and try to imagine the agony of the 60 or 70 million people who have been sitting
On the edge of their chairs worrying about the possible effects of not receiving a social
Security check for August to pay their bills and eat and end up sick needing medical care
Costing Medicare and HMOs hundreds of millions of unnecessary dollars. It is bad enough
That no increase in the payments based on COL have not been given out in two years. based
On the method this is calculated by there is no doubt the method is completely out of order
And does not take into account 95% of the daily costs such as rent, food, travel, insurance, just to
Mention a few there are many more. Mr. Obama’s campaign speech its time for a new beginning
Left out (of the end ) . Any fool can see why President Obama did not use his 14th amendment
Powers to avoid all this bickering on the debt ceiling issue. It is because of the big money that
Put him where he is and he knows if he did use that power there would be no chance of reelection
Even if he ran against Mickey Mouse. He also knows that a one term president always goes down as
A failure. Its time you wake up Mr. Obama and truly start thinking about us instead of your own
Political future.

August 01 2011 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dav1934

Political future.

August 01 2011 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dav1934

On the method this is calculated by, there is no doubt the method is completely out of order
Political future.

August 01 2011 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Greg

Well, maybe the quality of care in Alaska is four times better than the quality of care in Missouri. If that's the case, I don't want to wind up retiring in Missouri, that's for sure, with the possibility of having to face health care there! I haven't seen all the data, but these numbers are pretty meaningless without other information. Perhaps Missouri has more retirees/elderly people and spreads the cost out more effectively than Alaska? I just don't know.

August 01 2011 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
triciapen1

It's kinda funny how they are trying to make us lead such healthy lives....no smoking, no drinking, can't be chubby anymore...but then when we start living longer who is gonna pay for it? I hope I dont have to be a nursing home for a few years before I die..I dont know too much about nursing homes but I bet they arent alot of fun, no quality of life.

August 01 2011 at 10:13 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
ronaldwstanley

Besides bankruping our and other governments, social policies that were created by socialist liberals in the past has also turned Family Responsibilities into Government Responsibilities. When it takes two people, (husband and wife) to have to work just to make ends meet, it is an easier and maybe the only alternative to put your aging parents in a nursing home because if both husband and wife are working long hours, there is no one there to care for them. President Johnson started the Great Society in the 1960s. It took less than 50 years for that greatness to deteriorate our once great country. Just look at our great society today.

August 01 2011 at 9:29 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
VMP3080

Dear Ms. Sheryl Nash... Or wqhatever the hell your name is. What it cost the U.S.? These are individuals who raised children to be better than what they are. These are individuals who ensured you would be the best you can be and do BETTER for youselves and YOU put them in health care facilities!!! I had no one to help me achieve what I had, but I DO KNOW I would have NOT ever put my parents in any institution. You guys are so self-absorbed in your own career you FORGET who got you there!!!! Only Caucasians do that chite!!! Spanish and Black? You think we would do that to our parents??? Only if they are very Oreo. When I hit top dollar I made my father retire. My mother refused. But I took care of our household bills. OWNED!!!! Barely have a dime now. But will say. The career advice and your article is so full of it. Have fun next year voting for Obama. I know I WON'T!!!

August 01 2011 at 8:11 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Patrpw6@aol.com

At least we have these facilities. I do see the differences in the cost of them between States. Some areas of the country are more able to pay higher prices due to tax structures and the wealth of their citizens. That being said, they are worth any amount to aid senior citizens. In the book Brave New World, people living in that "time" were given a day to die when they were born and dutifully went to the "dying facility" Do we want that to happen here? Maybe the cost of this health care should be set no matter what state the facility is located in. ???

August 01 2011 at 7:11 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply