Grocery StoreCompare a 14-ounce box of brand-name Cheerios, which sells for $4.69 at FreshDirect.com, to a generic box of similar breakfast cereal which sells for less than $3 at local grocery stores. Which do you buy? More than two-thirds of Americans are choosing the latter. Buying generic is the most popular way to save money these days.

A new Harris poll shows the top ways consumers are cutting back on everyday expenses. Of those polled, 67% said they are buying more generic to save money, up from 61% just last February. Brown-bagging lunch is the second most popular way to save. Nearly half of those surveyed said they brought their midday meal from home instead of purchasing it.

Are braids and long, natural hair another economic indicator? They may well be. Ranking third, 43% of Americans said they are going to the hairdresser less often as a way to be frugal.

Gallery: Top 12 Ways Americans Are Cutting Everyday Spending

Gallery

Intro to Retirement

Get started early planning for your long term future.

Managing your Portfolio

Keeping your portfolio and financial life fit!

talesofthegr

I'm starting a podcast along these same lines called Tales of the Great Recession to share peoples stories of long term joblessness, from the struggle of a long search to the joy of finding a job, and what you learned in-between. Please send your stories to talesofthegr@aol.com. The first podcast will be available free through itunes on 7/22, and I plan on doing it as a weekly podcast for as long as the stories keep coming in.

July 16 2011 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amfnvf

Why do you keep living poor so you can help the rich? Why shouldn't the richest pay more taxes? Right now they are paying 16%. What are you paying?
If you are in debt you cut your spending & increase your revenue, it really is that simple. Do you not understand that, unless Rush, O'Rielly, Michelle B. or Beck tell you!
Why must all the sacrifice come from the working and middle class?

July 07 2011 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

I see Obama gave his staff the largest pay raise in history last year.
The largest was the director of African American media, his went up a whopping 86%!! I guess African Americans need different news stories than the rest of America, and its worth much more.

July 07 2011 at 10:49 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jrb359

Maybe the government will get some ideas here! Nah, I really don't think so.

July 07 2011 at 6:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
excursioner

While the average American understands we must cut our spending to get our financial houses in order, Obama is demanding more borrowing of money to keep up his over spending. Obama and the Demcoratic Party which has been hijacked by the Progressives is also demanding more of our money in tax revenues so they can continue spending.

July 07 2011 at 4:43 AM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to excursioner's comment
wesdik

It won't be long and that IDIOT will be out of office.

July 07 2011 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
l07hye

We buy nothing that is absolutely not neccessary!!! My cell phone is 8 yrs old, and still works, no need to replace, unless it is broke. That goes for anything we own. We don't have to keep up with the Jones's or the Smith's. We don't have to be something, we are not. Believe me, we are a lot more happier than a lot of the senseless sounding people on this site.

July 07 2011 at 1:35 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to l07hye's comment
rolando4rocks

nice CAT pictures!!

July 07 2011 at 4:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
alucky1128f8@aol

I ASKED MY SELF ONE DAY WHY DO I BUY PAPER TOWELS ? I DID NOT GROW UP WITH THEM, MY MOM USED HAND TOWELS , SO I STOPPED BUYING PAPER TOWELS, WHAT A WASTE !!!!!!!!.

July 06 2011 at 11:15 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to alucky1128f8@aol's comment
alfredschrader

Buy a bath towel at Dollar Tree for a dollar. Cut it into four kitchen towels. Use one of them (25 cents) by rinsing it in soapy water, for spills, etc. Throw it into the laundry. Never buy paper towels again....Alfred-

July 07 2011 at 6:06 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
David

I cant believe this day and age we have to do with less, are not pissed about it, and some people even try to say that is a good thing! It still amazes me how easily sheep conform to the slaughter house. Why should we have do with less, Obama is not. My parents had to take the bus , if they had a dime, or walk when they were younger, they didn't have a car. Perhaps we should go back to the horse and buggy and toss out our TV's and computers. Believe me, my parents wanted us to have a better life than they had. This is AMERICA, WTF, act American , consume and expect more out of life than wiping your butt with an old gasoline rag!

July 07 2011 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alucky1128f8@aol

I'M CUTTING MY SPENDING BUY NOT BUYING ANYTHING UNLESS ITS MADE IN AMERICA !!!!!!!. DID YOU KNOW, COLGATE TOOTH PASTE IS MADE IN MEXICO NOW, DID YOU KNOW THAT HERSHEY CANDY IS MADE IN CANADA NOW, AND THE LIST GOES ON !!!!! I CALL THEM AND RAISE HELL !!!!!! HOW ABOUT YOU !!!!!!!!.

July 06 2011 at 11:01 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to alucky1128f8@aol's comment
gladymills1@aol.

buy the sometimes brand names and buy less of the other crap you don't need...i don't buy soda, chips and cookies very often i wait for prices to reduce from time to time, i don't buy 6/12pks of soda i buy the liter i never buy the soda in the refrigerater that are 1.48 , by the side of the cash register... impulse buying will make you a not so smart shopper

July 06 2011 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orbit7777

So we are referred to as "Americans" now by AOL. I'm sure we know why. The AOL "hub" is now in the United Kingdom and that is partly why Huffington has been over there lately. I have been banned from commenting on the news threads that are controlled by Huffington and the mess they allow liberals to post there is unbelieveable. I never thought I would see AOL stoop so low. I have been a subscriber for years and supported them through all their blunders from the beginning. But not anymore. I have sent copies of some of the awful posts over there numerous times, and all they will do is beat around the bush and do nothing. Of course, whoever thought the British had any sense when it comes to the United States of America, anyway.

July 06 2011 at 8:58 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply