Financially stressed womanWomen have a tendency to be labeled as worrywarts, and a recent financial survey seems to support that view. When it comes to financial stress, women are three times more likely to feel overwhelmed by their situations than men, according to Financial Finesse, which conducted the survey.

According to the survey, 9% of women reported feeling "overwhelming financial stress," compared to just 3% of men. And at the opposite end of the spectrum, 17% of men claim to be living a carefree life with no financial stress at all, compared to 10% of women.

The report notes, however, that just because respondents checked off the "no financial stress" box doesn't mean they're not in financial danger. A Financial Wellness Assessment of survey respondents found that, in some cases, these stress-free respondents actually were engaging in risky behavior such as failing to save enough for retirement or not adequately protecting their wealth. In essense, some of the "no financial stress" folks were oblivious to their overall situations, and should be more stressed than they are.

On the family front, people with children average substantially higher financial stress levels, as one would expect, given that they face additional costs that can range from braces to college tuition. In the report, 21% of people surveyed with children said they had a high financial stress level, compared with 12% for those without children.

Parents, however, can take some comfort in knowing that when it comes to feelings of overwhelming financial stress, people without children aren't too far behind them. The survey found 6% of parents said they were experiencing overwhelming financial stress, while 5% of nonparents said they had those feelings.

More Worrying, Less Fixing

Interestingly, while women tend to worry more than men when it comes to finances, a 2007 study found they're apt to do less than men to resolve their financial concerns, like establishing a financial plan of action.

In addition to gender, age and income play a significant role in the worrywart syndrome.

According to the report, 26% of men and women surveyed between the ages of 30 to 44 years old faced high or overwhelming financial stress, which mirrors Americans' prime child raising years. Meanwhile, the percentage of people in the high or overwhelming worry group shrinks to only 12% once they reach the 55- to 64-year-old range, at or near retirement age.

As for income levels, 34% of women and men who are earning between $35,000 to $59,999 say their financial stress level is high to overwhelming. And, as one would expect, it dramatically drops off as people earn more money. Only 9% of survey participants earning $200,000 or more say they face high to overwhelming financial stress.

Income Investing

Grow your nest-egg.

Intro to different retirement accounts

What does it mean to have a 401(k)? IRA?

Donna

Well, gee...a person earning more than $200K has less financial stress....THERE'S a newsflash!!!! Anyone who earns over $200K and has ANY financial stress is living WAY beyond their means.

June 27 2011 at 1:43 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ettenyl19

The men making comments on this site are ignorant. As a female I graduated from college and my first job was $9.00 an hour. I currently make double that, I have to pay for my insurance, medical, student loans and so on. I go camping if I take a vacation. I don't buy expensive clothes, make-up or purses. I am living with my parents because I can't afford to be on my own and I don't ask the government for help. I find it more and more difficult to find men out there that have been as responsible as myself and I have been in my career for 15 years. Its pathetic that women are treated as such second class citizens these days. Fortunately I have been smart and made sacrifices in order to have good credit and pay off my debts. What bothers me is a man will not go to college and make more than myself and my male counterparts will make more than myself right from the start. This is why women are financially stressed and worried all the time. Just think about how you would feel if you were making $9.00 an hour while your co-workers were making $12.00 to $15.00 to start. I've moved from companies to find better pay and it is like that everywhere. As a female I will make 30% less a year than a male but I suppose that is fair cause I don't have a penis. Its pathetic that this is America and we allow this to happen.

June 27 2011 at 1:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ettenyl19's comment
darkmage121

How do you know what the men in your office make? How do you know what anyone else in your office makes? Most people never talk about their salery to enyone. Do you know for sure that men really get paid more, or is that your perception. I asked a female friend at work what she makes, and we make the same hourly rate. The only difference is I put in 60+ hours a week while she only puts in 40 hours a week. Most women are not willing to work the overtime that men are. That is where I make more than my female co-worker. She says she chooses not to work overtime because she has a social life. Most men including myself love overtime. That is where the extra money is coming from. You want match a man's paycheck, try matching his hours.

June 27 2011 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to darkmage121's comment
ettenyl19

Because my male co-worker left their pay stub out for everyone to see. Also in my office no-one works OT, it is not allowed so I cannot possibly work more hours to get more pay. For quite a few years I worked two jobs to equal things out and currently I don't because I have arthritis of my back which doesn't allow me to be able to stand for long hours. Its different when you are younger but it is harder when you get older to work so many jobs, there are only so many hours in a day. I agree if you want to make more work more but I don't think what people understand is how frustrating it is that you do the same work if or more than some males and in the end you always make less because you are a female and that is the only reason. I think if men were treated the same way they wouldn't like it either.

June 27 2011 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Willibs1

could it be because women are generally paid less than men?

June 27 2011 at 8:20 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Willibs1's comment
Donna

Of course that is why. Plus the fact that, in the case of divorce a woman usually (if not fairly) has more custody of children than a man. Child support pays for basics...children are very expensive to raise and women feel the double burden of earning less plus having to clothe and feed dependents.

June 27 2011 at 1:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
most omnipotent

I am shocked the numbers were not much much higher. We are in a horrible economy. Most Americans are 1 to 2 paychecks away from being homeless. I am a teacher and we have not had a raise since 2001. We took a 5% paycut and are now being asked to take another 2% cut while our health insurance rises by 25%. While the cost of food and fuel has increased. If I were not sharing living expenses with extended family members, my sons and I would be living in the family van. Who did they poll? Must be some affluent community, because everyone I know is scared out of their minds about finances.

June 27 2011 at 2:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PATRICK

I'll Tell You WHY, ,they think Like Democrats, ,SPEND, SPEND, SPEND, , then borrow LIKE crazy UNTIL bankrupycy is STARRING them Down, , ,Then they will BLAME somebody else for their STUPID SPENDING!

June 27 2011 at 1:31 AM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
JoanneVLavender

When women finally decide to create a career for themselves before they start popping out children that the baby-daddies walk away from, maybe they won't be so stressed out over money.

But every year, I see high school girls trotting a little toddler into the site's day-care center for the unwed teen moms, visibly pregnant with child number two.

When we stop making it so easy to make welfare a career choice and return the stigma of unwed motherhood, then maybe these young girls will start thinking with their BRAINS instead of their all-too-available VaJayJays.

June 27 2011 at 12:23 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to JoanneVLavender's comment
most omnipotent

I really don't think that the welfare people are worried about money. They have my tax dollars. The working career mom's are the ones freaked out.

June 27 2011 at 2:20 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
darkmage121

Most good men will never walk away from the mother of their children. It tends to happen a lot when the parents are teenagers because they are not mature enough to make intelligent decisions. Teens should never have children in the first place, but unfortunatly things happen.

All your other points are very well stated.

June 27 2011 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjones3824

to: tevroc143 and other alleged feminists who keep whining the same old, same old>>>>>
Only rarely do I see a "single Mother", "single parent", welfare Mom, who is actually a widow, or really was brutally abused, or horribly cheated on.
What I do see a lot of is women in their teens, '20's, and '30's having lots of casual sex with lots of men..which inevitably leads to pregnancy. They all claim to be victims of bad men or jerks or bad boys, yet they continue to bed down with the worst guys they can possibly find, over and over and over .
Welfare, food stamps, free medical, subsidized rent, and lots of other "freebies" (at TAXPAYER EXPENSE) is easy to "qualify" for if you have a child or two.
Then she can have a series of weekend boyfriends who supply the parties, booze, drugs, sex.
Most unmarried women with kids that I have known or dated were not widows or victims of anything other than their own thinking.
Esteem is to be earned ..not doled out by government psychologists who perpetuate the "woman as victim of man" mentality.
Women spend so much of their lives "getting things from others" and claiming they want "equal rights" (domination of men is much closr to the truth), and they should have "choices".
The only "choices" men have is : work full time all their lives, pay tons of taxes (to finance the welfare state), pay alimony and child support (even when the woman was the cheater), and die early from long term high stress.
That s the bottom line.
Few women save their money .. new cars, expensive wardrobes, lipo, botox, spas, cruises, Vegas trips with their girlfriends, makeup, hair, all take preference to investing and saving.
Married women often feel they don't "need" to plan for the future, as they will "get" the husband's lifetime savings, pension, social security, and investments ..

June 26 2011 at 11:37 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rjones3824's comment
darkmage121

I agree with your point. Most women would rather get something from a man than get it themselves. When a man like myself want something, I work hard and earn it. When my girlfriend wants something, she instantly runt to me and says, buy it for me. It is so much easier as a woman to just get stuff from men without having to work for it. Men never have that option though. Imagine me asking my girlfriend to buy me all kinds of stuff. She would leave me in a minute. If women want equality, stop depending on men for money, especially if you have no children.

June 27 2011 at 11:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
andrc657

MORE TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH is the republican solution.

June 26 2011 at 10:22 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to andrc657's comment
icemanbill23

You TAX AND SPEND progressive liberals still don't get it. Increasing taxes on successful Americans will not solve our problems.
There really is only one solution: STOP THE SPENDING!

June 27 2011 at 2:41 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dubricus

Tony - it can be based on what a political party or a presidential administration does.... you can have your own finances in order and be doing very well... but those elements and others that engage in financial shenanegans, can totally sink you... by pretty much tanking the ecomony upon which your buisness or your job depends.

Also, you own efforts can be sunk by an accident, an illness, the overwhelming medical bills of a loved one.

People like to think that it's all about an individual's own efforts and their own fault when things go wrong. Unfortunately, no on knows what they don't know.... and Providence has more ways than you can count to totally demolish your life.... and even your ability to recover, no matter how agile and knowledgeable you are.

June 26 2011 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debbie

Throughout history, countries on top eventually topple. Governments that ignore the difficulties of the populace often find themselves on the south end of a revolution. America will not remain the most powerful nation; our time to fall will come.

June 26 2011 at 6:58 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply