Summer Spendin': Which Companies Win When School's Out

Summer fun on a trampolineDespite a house rule for the youngsters in my home that forbids any sentence beginning with the words "I want," just a few days into summer vacation, my children are already pouring on the requests. And while I understand how to "just say no," I can't help but consider which companies stand to benefit from the demand spike fueled by kids home for the summer, spouting lines like:

Can we have a bonfire tonight?
Oversized, "jet-puffed" marshmallows on the end caps of aisles in grocery stores nationwide = genius. No more doubling up. Potential winner: Kraft (KFT)

But everyone has a trampoline. They do seem fun, but I'm not buying into the idea of digging a big hole in the backyard because being closer to the ground is safer. We'll spring for the safety net. Potential winner: Sears (SHLD)

Why don't we have a car like this?
We were stranded at the airport due to weather this week and ended up driving overnight instead. An angel at the Avis counter managed to give me good deal on brand new, decked-out Ford Edge. The built-in Sony (SNE) sound system with Sirius (SIRI) satellite radio is particularly impressive. The kids came with me to return it and couldn't help but shout out as they sat in a "crossover" for the first time, "Mom, I'm digging this leg room. I think we should really get this car!" Potential winner: Ford (F).

If you won't let us buy the game, maybe we could just rent it. After being continuously turned down on requests for new -- often violent -- games, my boys cleverly back-pedaled and went for the soft sell, "Let's just rent them. This way you can see if the games have too much blood and we can see if we like them." Potential winner: Gamefly.

Will you play catch with me? We have a full house, so you'd think there would always be someone around to toss a ball with. Not always so, though, which is why bounce backs seem made to order for athletic households. Ours just arrived care of Amazon (AMZN). Major assembly required. Potential winner: STX.

I can wear these shorts to the pool and church. Gym shorts apparently just got a lot more versatile. My boys claim "silkies" work in any venue. Potential winners: NIKE (NKE). Their sister prefers American Eagle (AEO).

How much house can I afford

Home buying 101, evaluating one of your most important financial decisions.

How to Buy a Car

How to get the best deal and buy a car with confidence.

madddddddddddddd

BUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
UUU CANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN..........WHILE UR $$$$$$$$$$$$$

STILLL HAS SOME VALUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

June 23 2011 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lynnekz

What a total waste of an article! I thought it would be about items that sell better in the summer when kids of all ages (elementary through college) were out of school and had time (and money) on their hands and parents were planning vacations -- not a list of what the author's whiny children want.

June 23 2011 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lynnekz's comment
regina

Items that sell better in the summer is good idea. Will try to get to that in more substantive fashion.

June 23 2011 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Condley

What a stupid article. The solution is simple. Let them spend the summer with their grandparents.

June 22 2011 at 11:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Larry

Another triumph in business journalism. Poor Regina Lewis told us the other day that one reason women are better investors than men is because women are smart enough to check out the number of cars in a business's parking lot. Now she's touting the stock of Kraft because her kids like toasted marshmallows. In fact, her chrystal ball today consists of her own kids' likes and dislikes. Hint for Regina: Intelligent people (both genders) base their investment decisions on accumulated knoledge and sophisticated analysis about which Ms Lewis hasn't a clue. I wonder: Did every competent businesswriter in the country drop dead the day before she applied for her job?. Business reporting is AOL News' biggest weakness. Those of us who pay for AOL's service deserve better.

June 22 2011 at 11:02 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
dsh1007155

Was this "article" written by a 15 year old?

June 22 2011 at 9:23 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dsh1007155's comment
syntheticlubeguy

Probably one of her kids wrote it.

June 23 2011 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rjones3824

How do these articles get published ?
Guess I will invest in SUN, since there is more of it in summer.
I finally realize how dumbed-down "news", TV shows, political info, social commentary is "essential" to really stupid, obese, lazy, negative-number IQ Americans ..

June 22 2011 at 4:30 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
hemipwr54

Oh my God , such a idiot article .
Parents are tapped out so summer spending is going to be skimpy , now if gas prices fell to $2.25 then , HAPPY DAYS WOULD BE HERE AGAIN !
July 4th coming up and I bet the greedy are already poising to raise oil prices at a couple of weeks before it , BET YOU , GREEDY ARE SO PREDICTABLE !

June 22 2011 at 4:14 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply