Will Spray Nicotine Be the Next Quit-Smoking Fad? Move over, e-cigarette: Here comes the new not-really-smoking thingamajig. We'd give you a name for it, but it's not quite ready yet. Tobacco giant Philip Morris International (PM) has just laid claim to the new technology, which delivers nicotine in aerosol form. The spray will provide a nicotine "hit" faster than current alternatives, its inventor, Jed Rose, director of Duke University's Center for Nicotine and Smoking Cessation Research, told the Associated Press. However, it's expected that it will take three to five years to develop the technology into an actual retail product. No word on what Philip Morris paid for the rights.

Rose said in the AP article that users of the product won't be inhaling the toxins associated with cigarette smoke, and that the new product would thus reduce the death and disease rates of tobacco users. Rose has a pretty good pedigree. He was an integral player in the study of nicotine patches in the 1980s before they were introduced to the tobacco-craving public.

One wonders what will become of the e-cigarette, or electronic cigarette, currently a celebrity favorite that features steam flowing through a battery-powered stick that is inhaled like a cigarette. Who can forget Katherine Heigl puffing away on one on Letterman? Other reported devotees are Leonardo DiCaprio, Nikki Reed and Kevin Federline.

Priced between $50 and $145 for a starter kit, e-cigs have been advertised as healthier and stink-free, but their role as a habit-kicking vehicle has been disputed. And there's this buzz-kill: The FDA has found carcinogens and an antifreeze element in samples.

Still, the e-cigarette industry is inhaling a reported $100 million a year in profits domestically while quitting-aid revenues worldwide are skyrocketing. Sales are expected to climb from $3.5 billion in 2008 to $7.3 billion in 2024, according to figures released by the Annual Smoking Cessation.

What's more pressing is the motivation of the people behind those numbers: Tobacco use is expected to kill 500 million of the planet's current population, according to the World Health Organization.

Getting out of debt

Everyone hates debt. Get out of it.

Investing in Emerging Markets

Learn to invest in a globalized world.

DaveJ

Reading that last post, I realize how over the top it may come across to some folks.

For that, I over my apologies.

I tend to get a little heated when the topic come up of some governmental entity taking away the ONLY method that ever worked for me in a decades long fight to give up smoking!

June 09 2011 at 3:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
DaveJ

This will be one of the 'alternatives' to ecigs that the FDA tries to shove down everyone's throat! Why? Because the FDA has long been deeply in the pockets of Big Tobacco and Big Pharma, who are actually calling the shots behind all of the anti-ecig efforts by the FDA. Public safety never has been, nor ever will be, the main motivation for the wide spread fear mongering agenda that the FDA is currently engaged in. It's simply the FDA doing the bidding of their Lords and Masters that want to kick ecigs out of the marketplace since they have, and will continue, to seriously erode their profits. Don't forget either that individual state, and even the federal government NEED the tax revenues that come from tobacco sales. As these tax revenues continue to dwindle due to increased ecig use, who will make up the budget shortfall? Surely a replacement tax solution won't involve having all taxpayers pay equal shares, instead of taking the politically correct approach of burdening social undesirables (aka smokers) with an unfair tax burden so that others can feel moral and self righteous about their attempts to "stop" tobacco use? Maybe when everyone is using ecigs, fat people will get unfairly taxed instead, since they are already high on the politically correct social stigma rating too.
In the days/weeks/months to come, these types of products, brought to you by the same people who addicted millions of people to cigarettes in the first place, will be touted as the 'right' solution to the problem. Of course, the only thing 'right' about them, will be that they would increase the profits of the folks who stand to lose the most if ecigs are allowed to compete fairly with their existing products in the marketplace.
Thanks for your concern about my personal well being FDA, now butt out of my life. The bosses you truly answer too only want to keep me broke and addicted, and supplying them with a steady revenue stream.

June 09 2011 at 12:51 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
LoadedLen

I didn't switch to an electronic cig to quit nicotine. I did it to quit tobacco. And it worked brilliantly. I have no intention of quitting nicotine. Why should I?

June 08 2011 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oshah1227

Has anyone tried the NICOmate brand of electronic cigarette? I have heard of a lot of people that have quit smoking with electronic cigarettes. I was just wondering what other peoples experiences were. The brand I am talking about is at: http://www.nicomate.com

June 04 2011 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ecigator

The electronic cigarette is a revolutionary smoking device that provides the same nicotine fix as traditional cigarettes.

June 02 2011 at 6:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ecigator's comment
electronicbest

Indeed it is a good thing to replace normal smoking with e-cigarette. But don't forget that electronic cigarette is a replacement for normal smoking and not a quit smoking method. Anyway try them and you will have a healthy life.

June 23 2011 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TwistEcigGuru

The electronic cigarette is the future of smoking. Perhaps someday analog tobacco cigarettes will be completely obsolete.

June 02 2011 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl Turner

Mr. Dicker.. please.. do some research before you abuse your powers of the press to spread idiocy throughout the Internet. The FDA has not done *any* scientific tests at all concerning e-cigs. They grabbed a random sample and claimed to have found nasty chemicals in percentages way below what a cigarette yields in every drag in one single cartridge they tested. The ingredients in e-liquid are GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) by the FDA themselves. Of course it's not "good" for you, but what is other than plain old air? E-Cigarettes are not marketed (not legally anyway) as a stop smoking aid. They stop NO habits other than 3999 other chemicals found in a cigarette. They still contain Nicotine which is only ONE of the addictive chemicals in cigarettes.

Seriously.. do some research.. try the truth for a change. Don't be a propaganda puppet!

June 01 2011 at 7:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Linda

In truth, the only real way to stop smoking, is to stop. Everyone who wants to stop has to find their own way to do so that works for them, however, ultimately the desire to stop must be stonger than the desire to smoke. I know first hand.. I realized the ONLY way I was ever going to stop permanently was TO STOP with a sincere comittment to MYSELF. I made it. I will NEVER EVER smoke again. 2 years totally without smoking....another 5 years of off and on struggle....so I DO KNOW how hard it is.

June 01 2011 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ohringen

Cocaine and heroine are both highly addictive and illegal. Cigarettes are highly addictive because of nicotine. They should also be considered an addictive drug! The fastest way to get people to stop smoking of course would be to make it illegal to manufacture and sell cigarettes in the first place. Nicotine Free cigarettes could be an alternative and possibly a solution. Take the nicotine out of tocacco and within 72 hours of smoking Nicotine Free Cigarettes all nicotine will have left your body. Withdrawal symptoms and cravings for nicotine stop. Cigarette companies know this and intentionally load up the Nicotine in their cigarettes to get people hooked big time. Why do they now need to invent a nicotine spray? Why not manufacture nicotine gum drops to put on your tongue? Nicotine Lollypops Anyone? I recently quit smoking after having smoked for 50 years. I am 65 years old and thank god do not have COPD or lung cancer. I realize now how dirty and underhanded cigarette companies truly operate. They only care about money and getting people hooked on their product. They are not your friend! I didn't know back in the 60's that after smoking my first few cigarettes I would be hooked for the next 50 years. I was a slave to cigarette companies and their nicotine loaded product without even realizing that I was their monkey, a real money making slave. I will never ever pick up a nicotine timebomb again.

June 01 2011 at 10:02 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
donny3666

TO A CIGARRET SMOKER THIS MAKES SENSE. I BELIEVE IT HAS A GREAT CHANCE OF WORKING. WHAT I DON'T IS THE LENGHT OF TIME IT WILL TAKE TO GET TO MARKET. IF OUR GOVERNMENT FEELS THAT CIGARRET SMOKING IS SO HARMFUL, THEY SHOULD FAST TRACK IT.

June 01 2011 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply