Glenn Beck's show still has higher ratings than its 5 p.m. competitors, it's got fewer advertisers. Will Fox pull the plug in December? When "Glenn Beck" was riding high in the ratings, the program that liberals love to hate appeared to be nearly bulletproof. Witness 2009, when the show suffered an exodus of major advertisers after Beck described President Obama as "racist." Despite the loss of blue-chip sponsors, Fox News stood by its man. Why? Ratings for the program continued to soar, and big-name marketers plunked their money on other Fox News shows.

But almost two years later, the program seems to have become more vulnerable. Fox News is considering breaking up with Beck when his contract ends in December, according to a story in The New York Times. Even though the program still shows a hefty lead over its 5 p.m. competitors on CNN and MSNBC, "Glenn Beck" has shed almost 1 million viewers from a year earlier, according to data from Nielsen.

Glenn Beck "is not bringing in the blue-chip advertisers," notes Brad Adgate, the director of research for Horizon Media. "He's lost exactly one-third of his audience. That's a cause for concern at Fox News."

Big Advertisers Aren't Backing Beck

Back when Beck's show was skyrocketing in the ratings, his anemic list of advertisers didn't worry Fox News. But the "Glenn Beck" advertisers -- or lack of of them -- are becoming more of an issue as the show hemorrhages viewers. TiVo has provided data to DailyFinance that illustrates the big divide between Beck's advertisers and those backing CNN's "The Situation Room" and MSNBC's "Hardball with Chris Matthews."

During the last week of February, Beck's show attracted 39 advertisers, ranging from his major sponsor, Goldline.com, which has come under fire for its marketing and sales practices, to decidedly B-list advertisers such as SeniorPeopleMeet.com, a dating site for seniors.

Advertisers for Beck's more liberal rivals on CNN and MSBNC are both more plentiful and better pedigreed, despite the programs' considerably smaller audiences. "The Situation Room" on CNN booked ads from more than 100 advertisers during the last week in February, while "Hardball" attracted 58 advertisers during the same period, according to Tivo. And the shows attract ads from some of the biggest U.S. consumer brands, including Procter & Gamble and Microsoft.

Targeting the Senior Set

All three shows tend to attract an older audience, with their average viewing age hovering in the mid-60s. But not all senior-targeted advertisers are created equal. Beck's program draws ads such as cosmetic surgery practice Lifestyle Lift, while CNN's "Situation Room" has attracted a list of advertisers including Mercerdes Benz 's E-class of luxury cars and Procter & Gamble's (PG) over-the-counter Prilosec heart-burn medication.

Given that Andrew Napolitano, Beck's vacation fill-in, maintained the show's ratings when Beck was out earlier this month, it doesn't take a programming genius to put the pieces together. Sure, if Beck leaves Fox News, he might take Goldline with him. But Fox News, eying the A-list advertisers at "The Situation Room," might be willing to take that chance.

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

Lawrence

" Glenn Beck !..Brought to you in part by " Cletus an Flo's Chicken Fried Toad Ranch "...'UM-MM, That's Good Toad!'..."

March 24 2011 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lawrence's comment
icemanbill23

That's really funny Lawrence!..but, like most good jokes the best ones are often mean spirited, cruel and untrue. The left likes to stereotype conservatives as a bunch of uneducated rednecks. By labeling conservatives in this way, they can attack them on character rather than face the truth of their arguments. Scurry away little libs, you're back in the light again and your time is almost up!

March 24 2011 at 3:38 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
GEORGE

Glen Beck another overpaid talking head. What has he done to solve any of the problems he complains about. Nothing.

March 24 2011 at 7:37 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to GEORGE's comment
icemanbill23

Yes, Glenn Beck talks using his head...where do you talk from?..your a$$

March 24 2011 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

Well, I would say the vote is in - Glenn Beck is winning the war against liberal brats (on both sides) and there agendas. MOST people who have been watching him from the beginning know that he speaks the truth, no one else has the guts or the intelligence to even come close. This great country was founded on the ability to succeed and prosper, on the foundation of hard work and exeptionalism. So, all you sheeple with overrated college degrees, from liberal professors, that don't amount to anything - need to understand that most of the wealthiest people in America had hardly any education at all. Great ideas can come from ANY person with a desire to become successful. So quit your (liberal) complaining that no one else is paying off your wasted education, because you have no creativity to begin with, and start thinking for yourselves. "Jack" said it best - "You can't handle the truth" because you only find truth when you think for youself. How can we create leaders when everyone is following?? get a clue people, the truth has NO agendas! It just takes an ounce of effort to do real research, instead of empty ignorant opinions - like most (not all)liberal, lazy, give it to me, entitlement mentality, BABIES!! grow up!

March 24 2011 at 5:00 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
L R Adams

This is not about advertisers or Fox News. This is about a message that someone wants to get out and made public. This man has made some very serious and disparaging remarks about some very powerful people. In legal circles some people would call his statements *Deformation of Character*. Degradation of a person’s reputation and prominence is slander. Yet no one has taken legal action to stop it or disprove it.
I don*t have a lot of respect for this man or his style* but I am amazed there has been no retaliation for his comments. Since Fox is controlled by Keith Rupert Murdoch I would assume he will determine what happens to Beck. At this point* advertisers are not as important as educating and getting out his message to Americans about what he feels is relevant. He will fund or spend what ever it takes to do that.

March 23 2011 at 11:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to L R Adams's comment
okitori

The only reason no one can file a claim for "Defamation of Character" is because Beck has the research to back up what he says and audio (in their own words." Have you ever listened or watched him? Better get the birds eye view before you open mouth and insert foot.

March 24 2011 at 12:56 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
icemanbill23

Maybe you should get a clue L R Adams. The very fact that "no one has taken legal action" against Beck for slander or defamation of character pretty much proves that he speaks the truth with reliable physical evidence to back up his "very serious and disparaging remarks about some very powerful people". The common liberal rant that "Beck Lies" is in fact slanderous and has absolutely no merit.

March 24 2011 at 1:13 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
hairdsignr

Yeah sure...another one of these BS articles trying to make it like MSNBCommunist have great talk shows...and Fox doesn't. What a childish article spewing their lying propaganda. Like the intelligent people who watch Beck would switch over to listen to Liberal Lies and Propaganda. The only idiots whom would believe this crap...are the ones who are to stupid to understand Beck in the first place. Come on...these hateful articles are useless....they won't help those ailing Liberal Communist Stations.

March 23 2011 at 11:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
djbaker73

I have watched Glenn Beck from his first show...I knew NOTHING about him before that day. I UNDERSTAND his show is HIS OPINION. Like RUSH,...I enjoy hearing an intelligent discussion of the events taking place, and this ONE MAN'S IDEAS! I have followed his admonition to "Do my own homework"...to check out EVERYTHING he lays out. Because of GB, I have read more books on history and politics than I have ever read in my life! I am a student of WAR HISTORY, the causes and also the effects on populations. I also study ANTHROPOLOGY and ASTRONOMY. I read alot anyway. Because of Glenn, I had to change my whole idea of the FOUNDING FATHERS, I learned the most HORRIBLE things about our country and EUGENICS, I learned so much about our Gov't...and how we came to be a nation.
THANK YOU, GLENN BECK for all the things I have learned because of YOU! I am a NON-BELIEVER, an EVOLUTIONIST, a skeptic deluxe. I know GB is not a perfect machine...I believe he is a REAL CONCERNED man who LOVES THIS COUNTRY! He does not want AMERICA to fail. SO,...UNTIL SOMEONE SHOWS ME WHERE HE LIED...where he hid the truth if it DID NOT FIT HIS VIEWS,...I WILL REMAIN a watcher of GLENN BECK. What crowd would I rather STAND WITH!!???....give me the 8/28'ers ANYTIME - ANYWHERE. NO LIBERAL crowd, nor UNION crowd, or any other group EXEMPLIFIES the CORE VALUES of this GREAT NATION like they do. The DNC Convention, the INAUGURATION gathering, the WISCONSIN mob,...were an embarrassment compared to the crowd gathered on the D.C. Mall on 8/28!! This being said,...I have to report that GOLDLINE tried to rip me off! While trying to purchase 1 oz. American Eagle Gold Coins,...I was treated to a used-car bait & switch that ended up with French Roosters @ $1666.00 per oz - when the spot price of gold was only $850.00!! They BLEW the SALE!!! So,...I am still SKEPTICAL OF ANYTHING/ANYONE...even GB, but so far, GLENN BECK has been a WONDERFUL TEACHER TO ME!! I will stand with the TEA PARTY people,...clinging to my GUNS, and my wits... and the KNOWLEDGE I have acumulated over the years. "HOPE FOR THE BEST, PREPARE FOR THE WORST!!" BEST DO IT!

March 23 2011 at 9:02 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to djbaker73's comment
icemanbill23

Great post dj....I feel like I wrote it myself! Even the criticism about Goldline is much deserved, but I don't believe they're any worse than many other companies advertising on TV. As a matter of fact I took their wise advice a few years ago and did add physical gold to my portfolio, but then purchased my Gold Coins on eBay instead at much, much lower prices.

March 23 2011 at 10:43 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
Holly

Beck and O'Reilly got really rich off the simple and gullible on their tour. Beck speaks in a very concerned and heartfelt way. Maybe that is why he is listened to. BUT he is making it up as he goes! He take subjects facing us and twists it to the point that "all other news" is a lie and he the a prophet sent by GOD! Really, he needs mental help.

March 23 2011 at 7:41 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Holly's comment
ll2mac

Why would an A list sponsor like Mercedes pay to advertise on a mindless show like Situation Room? Wolf Blitzer is a mental midget and looks like the gnome in my neighbors yard

Fox has the highest ratings by far over Cnn and MSNBC

Why change a winning lineup?

Perhaps it is wishful thinking on Picchi's dream list!

Give us some real news we can believe in rather than the rantings of another left winger

March 23 2011 at 5:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
billyryan88s

I hope he stays. Everyday he is on Fox, their credibility takes a hit. His own is long gone, but any collateral damage to Fox is a plus for America.

March 23 2011 at 5:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to billyryan88s's comment
Nick

Do you really know why it is a plus for America? I can't conceive that losing any news organization, right or left, is a plus for America. We need to hear all positions, otherwise we become like Germany in the thirties, or like Iran today. Opposing views are what make us strong. Wake up!

March 23 2011 at 6:22 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
parthenon1

The only people who continually complain about Beck are hoping the public will do what the liberals do...complain but never listen, watch or read Glenn so they cant realistically complain accurately.

March 23 2011 at 4:33 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply