Home-mortgage buyers Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac both trimmed their losses in the fourth quarter of 2010. But they aren't out of the woods yet: Both also have increased their requests for new federal aid from the previous quarter.

On Thursday, Fannie Mae posted a $2.1 billion loss for the quarter, or 37 cents per share, down from a loss of $16.3 billion, or $2.87 per share, from the year-ago period. It is now asking for $2.6 billion in new federal aid, a slight increase from the $2.5 billion it requested in the third quarter.

Meanwhile, Freddie Mac reported a quarterly loss of $1.7 billion, or 53 cents per share, down from a loss of $7.8 billion, or $2.39 per share, a year ago. It is seeking $500 million in new federal aid, compared with the $100 million it asked for in the third quarter.

What Is Your Risk Tolerance?

Answer the question "What type of investor am I?".

Investing in Real Estate

Learn the basics of investing in real estate.

r.powel46

A reverse mortgage allows seniors to convert their home equity into cash without having to sell their home or pay additional housing bills. Before making this financial decision, an individual can research the pros and cons of a reverse mortgage to determine whether this type of mortgage is the right decision for them.

November 28 2013 at 2:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
remasseyjr01

Giving money to Freddie or Fannie is like putting money down a RAT hole . I could see it coming 10 years ago!!

February 26 2011 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jkennedy806

No, I don't want your stinkin money -- I want Justice, I want to stay in my house, pay my taxes, and get a fair shake at the American dream. I didn't buy a house I could not afford, I have a servicer who thru predatory lending tried to fraudclose on me cause guess what I have a Fannie Mae. You know for all you stupid morons the reason we are hear is because Washington allowed the banks to just tank the American economy. Get your head out of your butts

February 26 2011 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jkennedy806

For all of you ignorant brainless twits who gave me a thumbs down, yesterday it was announced that Banks expect penalty from foreclosure probes to the tune of 30 billion or more. of the 500 sample fraudclosures looked at in the investigation, not one servicer owned the note they used in court case to foreclose on the home. Are the 500 homeowners going to get their homes back? Prbably not, You want to stop the bleeding at Fannie and Freedie, tell the banks to go back and work with the homeowner until a solution is relized. It's too easy (up till now) for a bank/servicer to go to the Fannie and freedie Washington payout machine, with fraudclosed robo documents and get paid.
And then you wonder why we have to bail these two out again. Everything I said yesterday proved to be right, Wells Fargo was and still f*&king me over.
It's a sorry state when a homeowner has to hire a fed attorney to get answers from a federal bank. Pres BO is in bed with these lying sack of crap and now that it is re-election time the President turns on a dime and stops protecting these lying theiving bankster goons.

February 26 2011 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
obama fools

dont you just love your change suckers.........

February 25 2011 at 1:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to obama fools's comment
jkennedy806

And why are the stupid bankster goons balking cause they don't know where their notes are either. How can you re=fi a note if you the servicer don't know where the original note is, to re=modify the terms?? do you know anything about contractual law, or Truth in Lending, RESPA?? Or are you on AOL's paid blogging dime.

February 25 2011 at 12:27 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
jkennedy806

Oh and donut 999 the WSJ today reported that Pres BO is now forcing banks to work with the homeowners. And the banks are balking. Now I will believe it when it actually happens. Cause BO didn't force it the first time, like he should have.
If that was the case thru TARP/Hamp I would not be sitting here, writing a disertation to inept moron like yourself.

February 25 2011 at 12:25 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
jkennedy806

Donut 999 to who -- to who do I pay my mortgage too. HOw about this I will pay my mortgage directly to Fannie Mae. Leave the middle man out? If you can find my note and find out who my servicer is? I will pay the note. I am not going to start paying a servicer who will not credit my account. If I pay my monthly payment I want credit for it. Contract Law states that the obligation between the contractual parties exists until the agreement is broken --

February 25 2011 at 12:22 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply