In the past week, Facebook has shut down a number of third-party software applications on its site, including a new poker app and Breakup Notifier, which lets users know when certain friends become single.

Facebook's move is part of an effort to reduce mass emails to its users and to more closely monitor apps running on its site, InformationWeek reported.

The Breakup Notifier developers are working to restore the application, which a Facebook spokesperson confirmed is only temporarily disabled, according to InformationWeek.

Facebook is the world's most popular social network, last month attracting 153 million unique visitors. That also makes it the fourth most popular U.S. Web site after sites owned by Yahoo (YHOO), Google (GOOG) and Microsoft (MSFT), according to research firm ComScore.

Socially Responsible Investing

Invest in companies with a conscience.

Understanding Stock Market Indexes

What does it mean when people say "the market is up 2%"?

Patsy Roberts

when you done all the shut down bizz it coused me to start to get the wrong apps i am no longer getting the apps i want.they are jumping to apps i did not get,

August 09 2011 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ddmri

I make it a point to not okay apps, even those hearts and flowers ones, because they allow access and dispersal of all your info.

February 26 2011 at 8:31 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
MRS. BROWN

I need to get off Facebook
I do not know how
It involves too much time and my computer is weak

What is the procedure to be disconnected????

Thanks a bunch

February 26 2011 at 8:03 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
smallwonder50

I really enjoy FB, it's fantastic for keeping up with family across the country. BUT! I was really mad when all the sudden this phonebook application had everyone's phone numbers on my lists. Which meant, mine was on theirs. WITHOUT my permission. My cell phone mind you. My cell phone is strictly for family and business. NOT for everyone I know. They crossed the line on this one. And, If I want someone else's. I'll ask that person for it. And the junk/spam email is getting outrageous. Besides the quadrupled junk mail at home.

February 26 2011 at 2:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joey

Facebok has ruined itself in the name of political correctness or ??? I was not a frequent poster but kept track of my relatives and close friends who "have a life" but now, none of the sites show any pictures or comments open to the public about how they are doing or what they are doing. Its worthless to me.

February 25 2011 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cmotomo

some are good some are bad some are lots of lies----

February 25 2011 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
redonionsauce

I have found many friends and family on Facebook....I play the games to relax...I talk to people on a daily basis which is something I wouldn't be able to do without this....Facebook and Zynga are not compatable

February 25 2011 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mommy

facebook needs to stop the SMS alerts and that you can subscribe to get them on other people. Its stalking and theres no way to prevent it

February 25 2011 at 5:37 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
jkuhn72

I enjoy facebook. I have found alot of family and friends that i have not seen in years they have moved away, But if it was not for facebook would i have ever seen them again or even found them. So i am very pleased with facebook. Thank You

February 25 2011 at 3:58 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
jbjg24m

for all i care Facebook could shutdown itself for good

February 25 2011 at 2:44 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply