Lasko Products is recalling about 107,500 portable electric heaters, sold years ago at Sam's Club and other retailers, because the electrical connection can overheat, creating a fire hazard, says the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Lasko said it received 36 reports of the electrical connection overheating and in 18 of those cases, there was minor burn damage to floors and carpeting. No injuries have been reported.Included in the recall are the Lasko Model 5540 and the Air King Model 8540 ceramic space heaters. The Lasko heater was sold at Sam's Club and other retailers from September 2002 through early 2004 for between $39 and $49. The Air King heater was mostly sold through W.W. Grainger Inc. from late 2002 to 2004 for about $80.
The tower heaters are 20.5 inches tall and dark gray, with silver front covers and black vents. The recalled heaters were made in China in 2002 and have date codes that begin with a 2 on the unit's bottom label. The date code is a four-digit number on the label, above the voltage number.
Consumers should stop using the heaters and call Lasko for a replacement at (800) 363-8044.
In December, more than 2 million portable heaters sold at Walmart were recalled after they were blamed in almost a dozen fires that injured four consumers.
(Become a fan of Consumer Ally on Facebook.)
Understanding Stock Market Indexes
What does it mean when people say "the market is up 2%"?View Course »