New Toyota Recall: 1.7 Million Vehicles Worldwide to Fix Fuel Problems

For those who thought Toyota Motor's (TM) massive recalls were so last year, think again. The world's largest automaker announced late Tuesday that it's recalling 1.7 million cars worldwide to fix defective parts, including leaky fuel systems.

Most of the vehicles involved in the recall are Japanese. In the U.S., the recall involves 245,000 luxury Lexus vehicles, including the 2007 Lexus GS300 and GS350, 2006-09 Lexus IS250 and 2006-08 Lexus IS350, the automaker said in a statement.

The problem -- in the case of the U.S. recall -- is insufficient tightening of a fuel-pressure sensor connected to a specific type of fuel-delivery pipe, which could cause the sensor to loosen over time and leak fuel, Toyota says. The company doesn't suspect that the defects caused any accidents, The Associated Press reports.

Toyota is recalling an additional 176,000 cars in Canada, Europe and other markets for the same issue, Dow Jones Newswires reported. The fix involves inspecting for fuel leaks and tightening the fuel-pressure sensor, if necessary, Toyota says. As with nearly all vehicle recalls, dealerships will do the work free of charge for vehicle owners.

Notification Is In the Mail

Toyota said it would begin notifying owners by first-class mail once repair parts become available, but didn't specify a date. Customers with questions about the recall can call Toyota at 800-255-3987 or go to www.lexus.com/recall.

In addition to the sensor issue, Toyota also is recalling 1.3 million vehicles worldwide to repair a similar defect involving a high-pressure fuel-pump-check valve and fuel-delivery pipe. That recall doesn't involve any vehicles sold in the U.S., Toyota said in its statement.

This latest round of recalls brings the total number of Toyota vehicles recalled since late 2009 to more than 15 million worldwide, Reuters reports. The most recent big recall came in October, when Toyota said it would fix 1.7 million Avalons, Highlanders and other models worldwide mainly for a defect in the master cylinder brake seal.

The automaker, which has been besieged by numerous recalls in the last year, has sought to reaffirm its commitment to safety and quality to U.S. consumers by establishing a safety research center in Michigan and opening product quality field offices in five U.S. cities: Houston, Denver, New York, San Francisco and Jacksonville, Fla.

Toyota has also said it would be more forthcoming about problems it discovers in its vehicles. In three previous recalls, the company was accused of foot dragging, leading to U.S. fines totaling nearly $50 million, made up of the maximum allowable fine in each instance.

Learn about investing from the comfort of your own home.

Portfolio Basics

Take the first steps to building your portfolio.

Investment Strategies

Learn the strategies you need to build a winning portfolio

vlady1000

Boy the press loves to jump on Toyota....Because there is good reason!!! Never a problem with my 3 GM/Ford products. Our one Toyota (a new '10) has now had 4 recalls and the windshield is crap (must be rice paper)and don't even ask me about the Jag ($90K car that needs a ride on mechanic). The American cars made today are now world class.

January 27 2011 at 12:53 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
James Smith

I have owned a Toyota truck for 19 years at it is still going very strong. What I am wondering, are all of these issue Toyota is having because they are purchasing crap parts from China or having them made in China?

January 27 2011 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dupree66

I sold cars for years, And only say one drive off the lot and burst into flames. toyota MR2. Toyota make great cars if you can get over there ride,power,and bland style.

January 26 2011 at 11:48 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
richard

Why don`t we recall the people who buy this japanese stuff, and give them brain scans. Anything there?

January 26 2011 at 10:46 PM Report abuse +8 rate up rate down Reply
philcva63

I SURE GOT OFF THE SUBJECT. OK, IF CHEVY COULD MAKE A CAR LIKE MY OLD '67 FIREBIRD 400(BOUGHT BRAND NEW, RODE HARD AND SOLD AT 100,000+ MILES), IT WOULD BE WELL WORTH LOOKING INTO. P.S. I NEVER SHOULD HAVE SOLD THAT BAD BOY.

January 26 2011 at 9:39 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to philcva63's comment
vlady1000

Check out GM/Ford muscle these days. Great cars, power, milage, and will last a long time (Daughter has a Mustang with 170K, still runs and looks great). The new Mustang with a 300+hp V6, gets 31mpg, and with the handling option it is really something or the GT (5.0L V8) , 1/4 in just under 13sec (I think). I have a Vette, 100K miles, looks and runs great,never had a problem except a fuel pump (it is 17 years old now). Did some bolt on mods and I can get up to 35mpg on the hyw and got a few more hp to boot. I love the old cars (have a couple), but they do not hold a candle to what is coming out of the factory today, amazing!!

January 27 2011 at 1:16 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
dfriberg

I'm thinking that 1.7 million recall notices in the mail ought to help bail out the USPS as well. A few milion more may even get them into the black.

January 26 2011 at 9:23 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to dfriberg's comment
fastednap

that's a good one

January 27 2011 at 12:56 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
trshaf6

Yep lol good and yea your right should help the postal service.

February 24 2011 at 12:52 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
philcva63

LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF THUMBS DOWN ON ME? I RIDE FOR SPEED(140+), NOT FOR NOISE.

January 26 2011 at 9:21 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to philcva63's comment
vlady1000

That must have been the guys at a Harley club meeting doing that. In my book, anyone still riding at 65 gets a thumbs up. Hope I will still be riding to post office to get me SS check like you do (just having fun here)....take care and watch out for the gravel

January 27 2011 at 1:03 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
painter120

if not for competion of jap cars the big 3 would still be making cars that bearly outlast the payments

January 26 2011 at 9:13 PM Report abuse -4 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to painter120's comment
trshaf6

Good point something to wonder about.

February 24 2011 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dx75

Ford Pinto's, of course, never exploded when rear ended.

January 26 2011 at 9:05 PM Report abuse -9 rate up rate down Reply
JM KL

I see ALOT of mentioning "American Made" when it comes to vehicles. I've owned a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Country and it was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It hit 500k before it truely died. That was a real "American Made" vehicle. "AMC" 4.O Litre Inline six. My point?, what is still made like that anymore?. It's mostly overpriced, throw away, vehicles anymore. Another point I'd like to make, "ALL" car manufactures make "JUNK" regardless of foreign or domestic. Finally, if you want "Gas Mileage"....good luck with that.Reliabilty?,....buy a damn jeep. No, I'm serious buy a jeep and watch it keep going and going......and now I'm done.

January 26 2011 at 8:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply