- Days left

10 Often Overlooked Tax Deductions

Tax preparer working with a clientThis story was corrected on January 31, 2011.

In life, you can't win the game if you don't know all the rules, and paying your taxes is no different. Every tax deduction or tax credit that you miss means more money out of your pocket and into Uncle Sam's.

But our tax code is so complex -- it is 70,000 pages, after all -- that even IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman admits he hires someone to help do his taxes. So personal finance experts Ken and Daria Dolan of Dolans.com are here to make sure you don't miss out on these 10 commonly overlooked tax deductions.

We all should pay our fair share...but let's make sure you don't pay one penny more!Overlooked State Tax Deduction

If you paid any state income taxes in the Spring because you owed taxes when you filed your returns, remember to count it toward your 2010 state income tax deduction.

Here's another often-overlooked deduction relating to your state taxes -- the state sales tax deduction. The state sales tax deduction has been extended through 2011.

So you can choose whether to deduct your state and local income tax, OR your state sales tax. Most times, the state and local income tax will win out, but this is a great deduction if you live in a state that doesn't have income tax.

The easiest way to decide which deduction is right for you is to use the IRS's tax tables that show how much residents of each state can deduct.

Tax Deductions for "Going Green"

There have been so many special tax credits and deductions the last two years, it's hard to keep track. The tax credit for buying a new vehicle expired in 2009, but if you made an effort to "go green" in 2010, Uncle Sam wants to reward you by putting a few extra dollars in your pocket.

Unlike deductions against your income, these are actual tax credits, and tax credits are subtracted directly from the bottom-line tax that you owe.

You can get a tax credit of up to 30% of your cost for approved energy-efficient heating and cooling products, such as solar water heaters, geothermal heat pumps and others. There is no maximum dollar amount on this deduction.

Plus, you can get a tax credit of 30% of your cost -- up to a maximum of $1,500 -- on approved energy-saving home improvements. If you made any improvements to make your primary residence (not a second or rental home) more energy efficient, such as installing energy-efficient HVAC heating and cooling systems, replacing windows, insulating your attic, adding storm doors, etc., don't overlook this tax credit.

Important note: The $1,500 cap covers both 2009 AND 2010 combined.

Overlooked Tax Deduction for Homeowners

If you took out a first mortgage or refinanced after Jan. 1, 2007, and are paying private mortgage insurance (PMI), you can deduct that expense. Simply use Line 13 on Schedule A -- the same form that you use to deduct mortgage interest and property taxes.

Your lender should make this easy by telling you the amount of your PMI premium in Box 4 of your Form 1098.

This deduction is scheduled to disappear after 2010, so make the most of it now.

Overlooked Tax Deductions for Investors

Funny how so many investors can be so careful with how they invest their money, yet careless when it comes to deducting investment-related expenses on their taxes. Don't let that be you.

Be sure to write off any and all investment publications to which you subscribe. And don't forget other investment-relating expenses, such as your financial adviser's annual fees, mileage for visits to your broker or financial adviser, safety deposit boxes and other investment fees that you may pay directly.

Overlooked Way to Deduct Baggage Fees

If you are a business traveler, you may be able to deduct those annoying airline baggage fees. If you need to bring material or supplies on a business trip and have to check that baggage, you can deduct those fees as business expenses.

Overlooked Deductions for Volunteers

If you work with a charity, be sure you take a deduction for the miles you drive related to your charity work. For 2010, the mileage rate remains unchanged at 14 cents per mile. If this little-used tax break applies to you, take advantage of it.

Plus, don't forget your other charitable out-of-pocket expenses. For example, if you donated food to the bake sale or a soup kitchen, if you made blankets for the homeless shelter, or donated materials for your school's fund-raising campaign, they are all deductible as charitable contributions.

Tax Credit for Working Parents

Don't skip this one... it's really a tax credit and not a deduction. If you pay for child care, including day care or nanny services, you can reduce your taxes up to $3,000 for a single child or up to $6,000 for two or more children under the age of 13.

The amount of the credit ranges from 20% to 35% of your child-care costs, depending on your gross income. For example, if your income is $43,000 or more, you can claim a 20% credit on your child-care costs. So if you have one child and you spend $8,000 a year on child care, you can save 20% off the first $3,000 -- or $600.

As always, certain "rules" apply, so be sure to check with your tax adviser.

Overlooked Tax Deductions When You Sell Your Home

If you were lucky enough to sell your home last year, you have some tax deductions coming to you. You can deduct the costs associated with selling your home, including the commission you paid your real estate agent, any legal fees and closing costs.

Overlooked Deductions for College Loans

Here's a loophole that lets kids deduct student loan interest. If a parent pays back a student loan for a child who they do not claim as a dependent, then that child can deduct up to $2,500 of that student loan interest. The IRS treats the money like a gift that was used by the child to pay the debt.

Best yet, the child does not have to itemize to take this deduction.

Overlooked Deduction for Tax Prep

Our tax code is so ridiculously complex that 60% of all taxpayers hire professional help. If you are one of them, be sure that you deduct whatever you paid your tax adviser in 2010.

In fact, be sure you deduct ANY costs pertaining to tax planning. These are easy to forget because they really fall under the category of "miscellaneous" itemized expenses.

In addition to your tax preparer's fees, you can deduct portions of any legal or accounting fees related to your taxes. Meaning if you sat down with an attorney to review your estate, and you spent a part of that time reviewing the tax implications, that time would be tax deductible.

There you have it... a dozen overlooked tax deductions that many people miss. Don't you be one of them -- every deduction equals more money in your pockets.

Doing your taxes has turned into a game of "gotcha" -- and most taxpayers lose. Let us help level the playing field with simple tips for making your tax deductions airtight and by making sure you know all the new 2010 tax changes that apply to you.

Correction: This story was corrected on Monday, January 31. A previous version of this story said that taxpayers who don't itemize could increase their standard deduction by the amount of real property tax they could have claimed if they did itemize - up to $500 ($1,000 on a joint return). Under the current tax law, that is no longer allowed. We regret the error.

We have also updated the story to include a new deduction regarding student loans.

More from Dolans.com

How to Make Your Tax Deductions Airtight

8 Important Tax Changes You Need to Know

Your Rights as a Taxpayer

Increase your money and finance knowledge from home

What is Inflation?

Why do prices go up?

View Course »

Goal Setting

Want to succeed? Then you need goals!

View Course »

TurboTax Articles

What is IRS Form 8824: Like-Kind Exchange

Ordinarily, when you sell something for more than what you paid to get it, you have a capital gain; when you sell it for less than what you paid, you have a capital loss. Both can affect your taxes. But if you immediately buy a similar property to replace the one you sold, the tax code calls that a "like-kind exchange," and it lets you delay some or all of the tax effects. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) uses Form 8824 for like-kind exchanges.

What are ABLE Accounts? Tax Benefits Explained

Achieving a Better Life Experience (ABLE) accounts allow the families of disabled young people to set aside money for their care in a way that earns special tax benefits. ABLE accounts work much like the so-called 529 accounts that families can use to save money for education; in fact, an ABLE account is really a special kind of 529.

What is IRS Form 8829: Expenses for Business Use of Your Home

One of the many benefits of working at home is that you can deduct legitimate expenses from your taxes. The downside is that since home office tax deductions are so easily abused, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tends to scrutinize them more closely than other parts of your tax return. However, if you are able to substantiate your home office deductions, you shouldn't be afraid to claim them. IRS Form 8829 helps you determine what you can and cannot claim.

What is IRS Form 8859: Carryforward of D.C. First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Form 8859 is a tax form that will never be used by the majority of taxpayers. However, if you live in the District of Columbia (D.C.), it could be the key to saving thousands of dollars on your taxes. While many first-time home purchasers in D.C. are entitled to a federal tax credit, Form 8859 calculates the amount of carry-forward credit you can use in future years, not the amount of your initial tax credit.

What is IRS Form 8379: Injured Spouse Allocation

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has the power to seize income tax refunds when a taxpayer owes certain debts, such as unpaid taxes or overdue child support. Sometimes, a married couple's joint tax refund will be seized because of a debt for which only one spouse is responsible. When that happens, the other spouse is said to be "injured" and can file Form 8379 to get at least some of the refund.

Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum