StarbucksStarbucks (SBUX) today announced that customers in U.S. stores will be able to pay for purchases using their smartphones.

Customers will be able to make purchases by downloading the Starbucks Card Mobile App to their phone and scanning an on-screen barcode at a scanning device in the store, Starbucks said Wednesday.

The system will be available at nearly 6,800 U.S. company-operated stores and more than 1,000 Starbucks in U.S. Target stores

"A growing segment of our customers use smartphones, and through the Starbucks Card Mobile App, we're providing them with the fastest way to pay," said Brady Brewer, vice president Starbucks Card and Brand Loyalty.

The Starbucks Card Mobile App is a free download for the Apple (AAPL) iPhone and iPod touch, as well as for some models of Research In Motion's (RIMM) BlackBerry smartphone.

The App also lets users manage their Starbucks card balance. Starbucks has already tested the mobile payment system in Seattle, Northern California and New York.

Also See: Starbucks to Sell 31-Ounce Trenta

Goal Setting

Want to succeed? Then you need goals!

What is Short Selling?

Make a profit when stocks prices fall.

krisabertrand

This is old, the app has been out for months. I have been using it since it came out originally.

January 20 2011 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad Bartlett

I like 711 coffee-- cheaper, starbucks to me is more of a place to hang out, unless you are into all the different options. For me its a treat for starbucks, daily heck adds up! It's an interesting idea great way to bypass the line but even though they pay thier employees a decent wage (so I have been told), if you are in line and they are reading email and making other orders seems to add to already enough, unless they get free coffee to be awake enough to handle orders online, in person.... its a little too much!

January 20 2011 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sam1scoot2

IN MY OPINION STARBUCK COMPANY IS TOP OF THE LINE! EXCELLENT EVERYTHING! JUST LET THE COMPANY HANDLE ITS WORK THE WAY THEY THINK IT SHOULD BE RUN! A+ FOR STARBUCK AND ITS PEOPLE!!!! I LOVE STARBUCK- GOOD QUALITY, THATS WHAT IT TAKES!!!! HOORAY!!!! BELLA

January 19 2011 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

the smartest option is toget your coffee at a place that charges less and frankly has better coffee...not instant decafe!!!

January 19 2011 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
peter p

I wouldnt drink starbucks coffee if they offered it to me for free.Peter Petralia

January 19 2011 at 4:52 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Colette

People in Japan have been making those kinds of purchases for 10 years!

January 19 2011 at 3:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
erik60505

Ok my father has blackberry and a cousin has Iphone but everyone else has woke up and got android. Not sure why android was not included over blackberry!

January 19 2011 at 3:13 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
zystacy17

Is it just me, or does it not take the same amount of time to pull out a SBUX card or debit card as it takes to find your phone? I just don't find this inovative or more efficient. Need to come up with more ideas that make a bigger impact to be news worthy...I am just sayin'!!!

January 19 2011 at 2:14 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
windswest

what about an Android app?!

January 19 2011 at 1:38 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
boobrackenandco

OLD NEWS BEEN USEING IT FOT MONTHS...ARE YOU SURE YOU GUYS REPORT NEWS?

January 19 2011 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply