Pajama Jeans (or PajamaJeans as the trademark calls them) may look like a fashionable way to keep warm and comfortable, but it's a slippery slope from those to wearing a bathrobe to the supermarket.

The women on "The View" may like the denim look and soft feel of these $39.95 cotton and spandex jeans (which magically drop to $29.95 plus $7.95 postage and handling when you try to close the web page), but as I pointed out a year ago when pajama jeans made another winter push into America's closets, nothing says lazy more than wearing what are basically pajamas out in public.

Instead of spending $40 on a pair of Pajama Jeans, you could buy leggings at Walmart for $12. That recommendation isn't for men, however, as Conan O'Brien recently showed when wearing the leggings that are designed to look like jeans.

For the same $40, you can buy a regular pair of jeans to actually wear outside, or buy two pairs of sweatpants at Old Navy.

But don't let the high price of pajama jeans fool you. This isn't about whether you have $40 to blow on a pair of ridiculous-looking jeans or not, but whether you're willing to be seen in public in something that makes you look lazy. Wear what you want at home, but don't try to fool anyone into thinking you're wearing fashionable jeans when what you're really wearing are pajamas while out running errands.

Is this what America needs? Jeans that you can sleep in, roll out of bed in and head to the store in to pick up some milk? I wear sweatpants while walking my dog around the neighborhood in the morning, but I'd never wear pajamas or a bathrobe outdoors, or pajama pants.

I get it that men aren't the target audience for pajama jeans, but I still don't want to see people walking around in what are basically pajamas while I'm shopping at Safeway. If you can't make the effort to get dressed before leaving home, then stay home.

Because once you get used to wearing pajama jeans outdoors, what's to stop you from going all the way for comfort and switching to sweatpants, then to pajamas, then to a bathrobe? Are we that lazy as a nation that we need pajama jeans, and not regular jeans, to wear?

The only thing good about pajama jeans is that the TV commercials bombarding the airwaves are so funny and mockable that you'd think they were a skit on "Saturday Night Live" back when the show was funny.

Understanding Credit Scores

Credit scores matter -- learn how to improve your score.

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

CourtneyJo

This is ridiculous. I was in the middle of ordering some pajama jeans and this post popped up. I couldn't resist reading. I'm a clean eater. I'm super fit. I have an athlete’s body fat percentage and am completely ripped. I started wearing pajama jeans after having my twin boys. I don't have to pull them up like the idiots I see fiddling with their normal skinny jeans in the supermarket. They fit perfect, they don't sag. I can bend and squat and ride bikes, etc... with my 3 year old twins and be 100% comfortable. No one knows they aren't regular jeans. I wouldn't wear sweatpants or a bathrobe in public if my life depended on it. This article is so stupid. Maybe I'm not the typical demographic, but I'm at least partially as I am a mother. These pants rock and they don’t sag anywhere, ever. They look fantastic on me.

December 24 2013 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lironess

I love them except for the price tag. Have to add belt loops though as I do not have much of a waist and need to wear a belt on all pants.

In regular jeans having a body shape like mine means it is REALLY hard to find any jeans that remotely fit. If they fit in the waist they are huge in the butt. If they fit on the butt can not even think about buttoning them..sigh.

So for me these are great but NOT to wear as pajamas..only to wear as pants.

March 11 2012 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl in Carolina

Sorry, I didn't mean to have my comments posted three times but I kept getting a message that it was not getting through due to technical difficulties. I sent it a second time and got same message. After three times I gave up, got off the page and then came back in only to discover I now have three postings. I am so sorry. But while away I did find a link to a site that says there is a knock-off version of Pajama Jeans for men from Lakeside Collection. However they look like old worn jeans to me, but they are about 1/3 the price of Pajama Jeans.

February 24 2012 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl in Carolina

February 24 2012 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl in Carolina

February 24 2012 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl in Carolina

I wouldn't mind the wife buying a pair of pajama jeans but she may not wish to spend $40 for them. I think they're stylish and I'm sure they're comfortable or I wouldn't be hearing of such favorable reviews as they're getting. I wonder how many males might go for Pajama Jeans made for them. I like the idea of something comfortable to wear for lounging, for walking in the yard, maybe even for shopping. Since they're supposed to look like regular jeans it is possible I've seen someone wearing Pajama jeans and didn't even know it. Writer Aaron Crowe needs to find a real problem to harp about. Like maybe the men and women who wear such skimpy clothing on large bodies that their big bottoms show.

February 24 2012 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J A

This yoyo obviously has some personal vendetta (sounds nutty, but so does the article) against pajama jeans. Maybe he ought to tell us about it.

February 10 2012 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
opionated

sounds to me like who ever done this article is a little snooty and worries too much about what others think. i have health problems that make wearing regular jeans a bit painful for me and so do a lot of other people i know. but did this person take this into consideration NO!! i think it is time to get over yourself and loosen up and have fun not worry about if you look good or not, that is pathetic, not someone wearing comfy clothes!!

February 03 2012 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica Tryon

I think this is a ridiculous discussion to be having. It sounds like you've been watching too much "What Not To Wear". Stacy & Clinton make a lot of sense, but, we have to ask ourselves, 'How superficial have we become as a nation, as a people?!'. It sickens me that though people across the world are good enough to be adorned in Americans' old 'Goodwill' throw aways from 20-40 years ago, we are so stuck up that we cannot appreciate someone at least taking the time to wear ANY clothes in public, or at least to bathe. The pants go on one leg at a time, the same as any pair of pants. The only big difference is the fabric they are made of. Now, what is it about these pants that is so appealing, regardless of the ridiculous advertising, which is YOUR job to see beyond? Qualities of this product? Comfort. That's it- simply, comfort. What is wrong with a person wanting to put on a pair of pants made from a particular fabric as opposed to a different fabric? Nothing is wrong with a person chosing comfort, -& function, might I ad (I don't know about the rest of the free world, but when I'm squatting down in the eisles at the store, it tends to be easier when I'm NOT wearing denim). Why did people create different fabrics in the first place? To make life better. Fashion? Yes. Comfort & function? Yes. Fashion, however, is a matter of opinion. What was the height of fashion in our Great Grandmother's era, is laughable now. But it wasn't then! So, though you may be so politically/socially correct that you wouldn't dare wear a pair of 'pajama jeans' in public, there may be something you wear proudly that may be looked down upon as 'unfashionable' or 'inappropriate', not just by someone in the future of the world, but even by someone now, some stranger that passes you in public. We all need to get off our 'high horses' & humble ourselves a little & realize that it JUST DOESN'T MATTER. Ask someone starving half way across the globe if it matters. Ask someone who would like to have ANY clothing at all, if it matters. Ask someone who has just suffered a tragedy, if it matters. Who are WE to judge someone else for what they were willing to put on their bodies? Is it that person, or ourselves, that we have to answer for? Denim is a highly stiff & uncomfortble fabric in the opinions of many, that in the near future, may become obsolete. Sweat pants could possibly become the fashionable 'way of the future'. If you don't believe that is possible, then just remember all the things throughout history that people said were impossible. All it takes is for someone to finally admit they'd rather be comfortable & take the step to make fashion ACTUALLY COMFORTABLE. That may even entail making clothes out of a fabric once considered to be only for making a pair of 'sweats'. How about everyone reading this ridiculous conversation, all go out & buy a pair of these 'comfort pants' & send it to someone less fortunate, be it at home or overseas, & ask them for their opinion! :oD

November 30 2011 at 9:13 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply