Other economic data on this week's schedule to watch for:
- Monday: ISM Manufacturing Index, construction spending and auto sales data.
- Tuesday: Factory orders, weekly chain-store sales, release of the minutes of the Fed's Dec. 14 meeting.
- Wednesday: ISM Nonmanufacturing Survey, Challenger job-cuts announcement, ADP employment report.
- Thursday: Last week's initial jobless claims, consumer credit outstanding, monthly chain-store sales.
- Friday: Fed Chairman Bernanke testifies before Senate budget committee
Analysts anticipate that Family Dollar, the nation's No. 2 dollar-store chain, will report Wednesday that fiscal first-quarter earnings grew 19.7% year over year to 61 cents per share. Family Dollar saw strong sales and bought back shares during the three months that ended in November, and revenue for that period is estimated to total $1.9 billion, up 8.8% from the year-ago quarter.
During the three months that ended in November, Constellation Brands also bought back shares, as well as expanded a solar energy initiative. The wine and spirits maker is expected to post fiscal third-quarter earnings of 62 cents per share. That's up from a year-ago profit of 54 cents per share. Also, analysts predict that revenue increased marginally to $992.8 million.