Consumer Ally has teamed up with GoodGuide, whose experts have rated more than 65,000 consumer goods -- including food, toys, personal care and household products -- using factors that include concern for the environment, personal health and social responsibility, as consumers begin increasingly to consider those in addition to price.Good Guide's ratings also include a brief explanation for each category, though the user can drill down into each score for more detail. In the ratings, the health score measures a product's potential health impact on consumers. The environment score is based on the impact of the product in question and the company's overall policies and practices. The society score evaluates social impact, which can include treatment of workers, workplace diversity, community involvement and corporate ethics.
Method Wood For Good's rating of 9.1 was based on:
- A Health score of 10: This product has no ingredients that raise health concerns.
- An Environment score of 8.9: Compared to other companies, this company scores well on reducing water use.
- A Society score of 8.4: Compared to other companies, this company scores well on commitment to its local community.
- A Health score of 0: This product lacks ingredient data, so it is not possible to assess chemical safety.
- An Environment score of 3.2: The company that makes this product has one of the lowest scores for addressing climate change.
- A Society score of 4.2: The company that makes this product has a below-average score in ethical policies and performance.
The Best Household Cleaners
- Method Wood For Good Spray (9.1)
- Seventh Generation Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Emerald Cypress & Fir (8.9)
- Miessence Buzz Free Zone Personal Spray (8.6)
- Ecos Toilet Kleener (8.5)
- Seaside Scouring Powder, Scented (8.2)
- The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner (3.1)
- CVS Mop & Shine, Regular & No-Wax Floors (2.7)
- Rite Aid Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach (2.7)
- Prestone with Odor Neutralizer Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner (2.5)
- Kleen Guard Furniture Polish, Fresh Lemon Formula (2.5)
See what GoodGuide has to say about limiting your exposure to toxic chemicals found in household cleaning products.