Jeopardy contestants Ken Jennings and Brad RutterJeopardy will have an unusual contestant next year - an IBM (IBM) computing system named "Watson."

Watson will take on the show's two most successful contestants, Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter (pictured left to right), in February, according to the show's website.

IBM scientists built Watson to see if they could create a computing system that rivals human ability to answer questions posted in normal language. The Jeopardy format appealed because the game's clues involve subtle meanings, irony, riddles and other complexities that normally baffle computers.

"After four years, our scientific team believes that Watson is ready for this challenge," said David Ferrucci, the scientist leading the IBM Research team that has created Watson.

Watson was named after IBM founder Thomas J. Watson.

The computer faces stiff competition. Ken Jennings won 74 games in a row in the 2004-2005 season, accumulating prize-money of more than $2.5 million. Brad Rutter won the highest cumulative amount ever by a single player: $3.3 million.

The stakes are high in this game too. The grand prize is $1 million, with second place earning $300,000 and third place $200,000.

IBM will donate all its winnings to charity. Rutter and Jennings will donate 50% of their winnings.

Also See: Game Show Winners: What Happens After Money Rolls In

How to Avoid Financial Scams

Avoid getting duped by financial scams.

Banking Services 101

Understand your bank's services, and how to get the most from them

savemycountry911

I thought that was a pic of the Fagulous Beakman Boys.

December 14 2010 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to savemycountry911's comment
savemycountry911

Sorry, Beekman.

December 14 2010 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lthrnck68

Well, my mom watched Jeopardy every day. She never missed a day when Jennings was running up his total. Smug? Arrogant? I didn't see that. What I did see was a guy that was self assured and confidant. Interesting premise. Computer vs human. Will this program be able to recognise the answers and questions fast enough to ring in before the humans? It'd be interesting to see. I've always felt that the advantage went to whoever had the fastest reaction times. Not necessarily to the person with the most knowledge.

December 14 2010 at 7:56 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
norskierandi

I thoroghly enjoyed Ken Jennings' apppearances! He was clever, erudite, and had a great working knowledge of the the trivia of the world. I welcome another round of his fun stuff!

December 14 2010 at 7:11 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
mcrebel

PLEEEEEEEEEZE! No more Ken.

December 14 2010 at 7:07 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cwo4gec

I hate to see Ken Jennings on the show again. He's so arrogant.

December 14 2010 at 6:54 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
pasotbear

It's properly named "Jeopardy!," stupid ....

December 14 2010 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
temeculapaul

Usuallywhen you see "icon" and "jeopardy" in the same sentence, it is a story about Mel Gibson.

December 14 2010 at 5:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
carrierman

Win, lose, or draw - I wonder how Watson will spend his winnings?

December 14 2010 at 5:05 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
cwsac

I'm sorry but when Ken Jennings was on for so long with so many winning answers ... he RUINED the GAME forever! I believe it was a mistake to allow a contestant continue to play until he or she lost. Ken Jennings may be one of the smartest people ever to have played Jeopardy but I grew increasingly tired of his smug attitude each and every game. This idea to pit MAN vs MACHINE is equally ridiculous and whoever came up with the idea is WAY OFF BASE! Of course, this is only MY OPINION (and I AM allowed to have one)!

December 14 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Some Jeopardy clues are based on logic, computers are not capable of logical thought process.

December 14 2010 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Robert's comment
Ava

computers are completely logical I think you don't understand what logic is

December 14 2010 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply