The World Trade Organization has supported the Obama administration's decision in September 2009 to enact tariffs on Chinese tires imported to the U.S. The WTO said the president's claim that such imports disrupted the domestic tire market was warranted.

China contested the U.S.'s tariff decision, saying the U.S. didn't provide sufficient data proving that a jump in Chinese tire imports materially hurt the domestic U.S. market. The tariffs were to be as much as 35% during the first year, 30% during the second and 25% during the third, the WTO said in the 128-page report it released Monday.

The ruling ay ratchet up tensions between the U.S. and China as trade regulators from the two countries prepare to meet for their annual talks, according to the The Wall Street Journal.

China responded to the tire tariff last year by enforcing its own tariffs on imports of chicken, nylon and other products from the U.S.

How to Buy a Car

How to get the best deal and buy a car with confidence.

Economics 101

Intro to economics. But fun.

galbraith1065

Anybody who is dumb enough to put crappy Chinese tires on their vehicle deserves what they get. There is nothing of quality made in China.

December 13 2010 at 9:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dizon922

Why only tires. Put 10 % VAt on all shipment coming aboard not only from China.

December 13 2010 at 8:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dizon922's comment
obama fools

POOR FOOLS WE BUY THERE TIRES WITH THEIR MONEY WHO IS THE FOOLS

December 13 2010 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ranes54

China will put the screws to the US consumer every chance they get. Eventually, the US consumer base will be tapped out and overloaded with CRAP and China won't be able to unload any product at any price. That day is coming!

December 13 2010 at 5:07 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
bfpowersjr

For anyone interested, I received a denial of service attack just after I posted my comment. I wonder which country it came from? ((I wonder if I should check my Glock 9mm and my PK380???))

December 13 2010 at 4:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gmabutch

MAYBE WE SHOULD IMPOSE LARGE IMPORT TARIFFS ON ALL CHINESE GOODS COMING IN AND MAYBE ALL OF OUR LOST JOBS WILL COME BACK HERE WHERE THEY BELONG. THAT WOULD HELP THE ECONOMY.

December 13 2010 at 4:42 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gmabutch's comment
obama fools

MAYBE JUST MAYBE WE DUMP ALL UNIONS AND ALL CAPTIAL GAINS TAXES WE WOULD BE FLOODED WITH JOBS................

December 13 2010 at 9:18 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
ashespaw

Doesn't matter if there are tarrifs or not on Chinese tires. I would never put a set of tires made in China on my car. No more than I'd use their light bulbs or anything else. Almost every recall you read about is on products made in China or made with parts made in China. They don't care what they dump into our market because they know we don't have the cajones to do anything about it.

December 13 2010 at 4:37 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
bfpowersjr

I believe it is time for the tacit agreements (a la, Henry Kissinger) of the past to be considered PAID! It's time for the Chineese to open their economy to American imports.

December 13 2010 at 4:14 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bfpowersjr's comment
bfpowersjr

Woops... sorry I spelled Chinese wrong. Perhaps it was my excitement to be able to comment on this subject that caused the error!

December 13 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply