Facebook Launches New Profile Pages

Just about the time that an interview with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg appeared on "60 Minutes" on Sunday, Facebook relaunched its "Profile" pages. The official announcement of the new product was made on the CBS news show, but it appears it was available to Facebook members before then.

Josh Wiseman, a Facebook engineer, posted one of several blogs at the social network site to describe the new profile page and its salient features. "The profile begins with a quick overview of basic information such as where you're from, where you went to school, and where you work -- the kinds of conversation starters you share with people you've just met or exchange with old friends as you get reacquainted," he writes. The new page also contains rows for tagged photos. The redesign also makes it easier for a person to highlight his friends.

It is impossible for people outside Facebook to say how much research went into the redesign, which will be available to nearly all users next year. What is clear is that the new page is largely a way to emphasize photos. Clearly Facebook knows something about users interests in photos over print. Whether that will increase engagement of users is anyone's guess.

Facebook is constantly tinkering with its relationships with "members." Not all of the results have been good. Several e-commerce features added in April caused privacy concerns. So did Facebook Places, announced in August, which allowed users to track the locations of other users. Facebook dialed back some of these changes to answer member concerns.

With over 500 million members, Facebook should not have any trouble getting feedback on the new profile page. It certainly seems benign compared to other updates the social network has made this year.

Intro to Retirement

Get started early planning for your long term future.

Economics 101

Intro to economics. But fun.

Ann Grubbs

my comment i have three email, on face book and for the last week i been trying to clear all the emails up and just used one , but i have tried to get new pass word each time i change it it return with the message error, and now i cannot get in my page on face book and really i cannot even delete it out, but the dummy order see that i am the same person, and i wish some one tell me what i can do i have a lot of message but cannot get to them.

December 08 2010 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arlsklouds

I don't use facebook.

December 07 2010 at 2:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rskillsta

America has turned into such a police state lately that can't Facebook easily be turned into a tool for evil with increasingly more personal member profiles? It's like the Internet equivalent of tagging wild animals to be tracked later. Say if a complete crazy, like Sarah Palin, were in power and decided she'd use Facebook to monitor and punish those she thought were a danger to her being in power.

December 06 2010 at 11:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bondean 24

I joined facebook months ago. I entered the wrong password once and I have tried to correct with them so many times and they refuse to let me reset my password. I have nothing good to say about facebook but I can live with out it and I wish they would leave me alone!! I knew you wouldnt let me submit it!!!

December 06 2010 at 9:34 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bob

I can't believe that there are so many weak sheep that join places like Facebook. They ask you for your birth date, your e-mail address and password. Trust me people there is a big data base of your personal information that is being collected and peaked at.Why not give them your SS number and bank account info also because they will get it sooner or later anyway.

December 06 2010 at 4:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
firecicles

LMAO, after reading the comments, Especially about a story as stupid as facebook. People complain. Conservatives even complain about their facebook page being upgraded. Pathetic. U should try just goin with the flow for once people.

December 06 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
bill griffis

change change everytime they turn around it changes pi value my privacy thinking twice about continueing with facebook

December 06 2010 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr.Washington

I don't like the new profile or other changes like being told on the right side of the screen to look at "friendship" between other people, it's like being asked to spy. And I can no longer hide my friends list.

December 06 2010 at 10:12 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Michele

I don't like it...it be our choice if we want to go with the new or stick with the old.

December 06 2010 at 7:52 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply