Which retailers offer the best customer service? Amazon.com (AMZN), Kohl's (KSS) and Nordstrom (JWN) ranked among the top 10 companies in a Bigresearch shopper survey that the National Retail Federation released Tuesday. JCPenney (JCP), Land's End, L.L. Bean, Newegg, Overstock.com (OSTK), QVC and Zappos also made the list.

The list is little-changed from last years' list: Newegg is the only retailer new to the list, while the others remained on the list from last year. Meanwhile, two companies, Coldwater Creek and HSN, fell off the list. (Because of a tie, last years' list actually included 11 shops instead of 10.)

As the holiday shopping season begins, these companies may be hoping their reputation for good customer service could help boost their seasonal sales above last year's levels. Early surveys indicate that consumer spending and mall traffic numbers are higher, so far, than those from the same time last year.

Earlier this month, Amazon.com, the world's largest online retailer, said that it would hire more than 12,500 temporary workers for the holidays at fulfillment centers in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Nevada, Arizona and Kentucky. Last month, Kohl's also said it would bring in about 40,000 temporary workers for the holidays.

Building Credit from Scratch

Start building credit...now.

Goal Setting

Want to succeed? Then you need goals!

snootz13

EDDIE BAUER!! I found a gift "certificate" (PAPER, not a card) that I must have misplaced years ago for $25.00. I called, and they said they would still take it!! That was over 15 years ago!! Nobody does that any more...!

November 29 2010 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
flsteeler6

QVC definitely has the best customer service....hands down! I have been a shopper with them for 23 years and have never had a bad customer service experience. QVC...you are the best in my book!!!!

November 28 2010 at 8:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
vintagepa

Nordstrom's has excellent customer service and deserves its high ranking. My wife had no trouble exchanging a dress that she purchased two months ago and the saleswoman was extremely helpful. I agree with Kohl's ranking too, since I buy most of my clothing there. Their stores are neat, well stocked and the prices very sharp. Other retailers could learn from these two companies.

November 28 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Larry

I would like to add Micro Center to your list of customer oriented companies. I could give you many instances of great "customer service" but I think it would help your research if you would visit any of the nationwide stores and experience true customer care.

November 28 2010 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

WEGMAN'S!!!!

November 28 2010 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
offtherecords

BLOOMINGDALES AND MACY'S IS THE WORST. NOT ONLY DO THEY IGNORE CUSTOMERS, BUT ALL MANAGEMENT SHOULD BE FIRED. COULD NOT SHOP ....RACKS A MESS. IF I WERE A VENDOR I WOULD NEVER SELL MY GOODS TO THESE TWO STORES. REGULAR PRICE MERCHANDISE ON SALE RACKS, BATHROOMS DIRTY NO ONE TO KEEP IT CLEAN AND BRING PAPER FOR TOILETS AND A ROLL OF PAPER ON THE SINK FOR THE HANDS INSTEAD OF PUTTING IN THE DISPENSER. A COMPLETE STAFF OR MANAGEMENT SHOULD BE ON THE FLOOR TO HELP KEEP RACKS IN BETTER ORDER. MR. GOULD AND LUNGREN SHOULD BE TERMINATED THEY ONLY ENTER THE STORES WHEN THEY ARE CLEAN. AS A CUSTOMER THE ONLY GOOD ASPECT IS THEIR PRICES IF YOU KNOW THE TICKETS ARE WRONG AND SO ARE PRE SALES CHEAPER THE DAY OF THE ACTURAL SALE. GET OFF THE SEAT AND STAND UP FOR THE COMPANY THAT PAYS EACH EXECUTIVE AND MANAGEMENT A LARGER SALARY WHICH THEY SHOULD NOT GET.

November 27 2010 at 2:30 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Snoops

Yankee Candle are awesome to their customers..I just recently bought a candle and it had no smell for some reason..Never had that happen before. I emailed them about it and within hours was offered a free replacement at no cost. Not many places do that any more..I love yankee candle...

November 24 2010 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Snoops's comment
Lisa

There is a local candle company here in eastern PA. Called Blue Mountain Candle. These candles out do ANY Yankee candle for fragrance. They aren't expensive, and had many diffrent smells. I've never looked but I am sure they have a website, they are localed in Lehighton PA. After you burn one of their candles, you'll think Yankee candles are a waste of money.

November 28 2010 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply